Hunting camp 2013

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually surprised that you can hunt in Australia. I was under the impression that you couldn't own firearms in Australia the last 20 years.

I'm not a hunter but don't have any problem with hunting for food.

As for overpopulation, there are species that have overrun an area due to the lack of natural predators like feral pigs in the southeast united States.

I'm actually surprised that you can hunt in Australia. I was under the impression that you couldn't own firearms in Australia the last 20 years.

I'm not a hunter but don't have any problem with hunting for food.

As for overpopulation, there are species that have overrun an area due to the lack of natural predators like feral pigs in the southeast united States.

Gooday yes we are allowed to own firearms and hunt in Oz but we are restricted to non semi auto firearms after several unfortunate incidents from mentally unstable users. We are a game poor country and most hunting is related to introduced species such as foxes rabbits pigs goats donkeys and camels. You mentioned pigs, we to have an overpopulation of these feral pests they number in their millions and cause wide spread damage to the environment as do goats also very numerous. At last count by authorities there was a reported 8 million feral camels in Australia so control by shooting is required and is mainly carried out by choppers and the meat left to rot--I have eaten camel and its quite superb. There have been many reports of overpopulation of species eating themselves out of all available food and starving to death in large numbers, for instance we dont hunt kangaroos but there is a pest mitigation system where land holders are issued with tags to cull problem populations this is carried out by licensed "roo shooters" and the meat is used for pet and human consumtion--these cullings number in many thousands--- the point being that there are more kangaroos in Oz now than there was when white man settled the country due to the opening up of the country and sinking bores for cattle and sheep allowing the spread of roos to areas where they never existed before---Australia is one of the most arid countries on earth.

I am envious of the many and varied species hunters have access to in the US and your very good and forward looking game management authorities.

The enforcement of bag limits and open and closed seasons and policing of these is exemplary---Happy hunting

I also enjoy fishing and eat all I catch.

Gooday yes we are allowed to own firearms and hunt in Oz but we are restricted to non semi auto firearms after several unfortunate incidents from mentally unstable users. We are a game poor country and most hunting is related to introduced species such as foxes rabbits pigs goats donkeys and camels. You mentioned pigs, we to have an overpopulation of these feral pests they number in their millions and cause wide spread damage to the environment as do goats also very numerous. At last count by authorities there was a reported 8 million feral camels in Australia so control by shooting is required and is mainly carried out by choppers and the meat left to rot--I have eaten camel and its quite superb. There have been many reports of overpopulation of species eating themselves out of all available food and starving to death in large numbers, for instance we dont hunt kangaroos but there is a pest mitigation system where land holders are issued with tags to cull problem populations this is carried out by licensed "roo shooters" and the meat is used for pet and human consumtion--these cullings number in many thousands--- the point being that there are more kangaroos in Oz now than there was when white man settled the country due to the opening up of the country and sinking bores for cattle and sheep allowing the spread of roos to areas where they never existed before---Australia is one of the most arid countries on earth.

I am envious of the many and varied species hunters have access to in the US and your very good and forward looking game management authorities.

The enforcement of bag limits and open and closed seasons and policing of these is exemplary---Happy hunting

I also enjoy fishing and eat all I catch.

That's news to me, I thought you guys couldn't own any firearms now. I was wondering what you do in the outback.

You can't carry knives or guns, right? What do you do in the wild? Guns and knives are essential tools in the wild.

I don't see anything wrong with hunting or fishing if you eat what you catch. I hate trophy hunters and people who kill needlessly, though.

That's news to me, I thought you guys couldn't own any firearms now. I was wondering what you do in the outback.

You can't carry knives or guns, right? What do you do in the wild? Guns and knives are essential tools in the wild.

I don't see anything wrong with hunting or fishing if you eat what you catch. I hate trophy hunters and people who kill needlessly, though.

You may own a firearm (apply for the relevant licence), however you need to state a valid reason (personal protection is not a valid reason in Australia) before you receive your permit. Carrying a firearm in public is illegal without a genuine reason (eg going to and from a shooting range is ok, but you must follow certain procedure). Concealed carry is also illegal without genuine reason (again, personal protection is not a genuine reason) and open carry will have the TRG (Tactical Response Group) surrounding you in short order.

Carrying a knife is also a no-no in Australia (each state has a different law). Anything over four inches is illegal to carry (the smaller Swiss Army pocket knives are ok). Utility blades, box cutters, etc are ok if you have a legitimate reason (eg part of your job).

That's good to know. So if you're out in the outback, no carrying rifles or knives? Or is "survival" a legitimate reason out there?

I didn't know you could still carry concealed in Australia- probably if you were a diamond dealer or something, who are the only people in places like New Jersey or New York city with permits.

That's good to know. So if you're out in the outback, no carrying rifles or knives? Or is "survival" a legitimate reason out there?

I didn't know you could still carry concealed in Australia- probably if you were a diamond dealer or something, who are the only people in places like New Jersey or New York city with permits.

The Australian Outback is a dangerous place for the unprepared (it is vast, dry, and population centres are isolated), but you hardly need a weapon if you are traveling through it. You need water and a reliable vehicle more than you need a gun for survival. Valid reasons for gun ownership are; sport shooting, hunting, animal control, collecting, primary industry (eg farming), dealers, etc. You even need a class A licence for paintball gun ownership (in NSW, not sure about other states).

CCW is restricted and hard to qualify for. Most people who have permits to carry are in the personal protection business.

Great to see you, your friends, and family out enjoying the outdoors. I take several shorter but similar outings each year and the food, fellowship, cigars, booze, and lies are what make it something I look forward to the entire time I'm away. I shoot a deer or two per year, an number of birds each year, catch and keep a very minimal amount of fish per year, and thoroughly enjoy cooking and eating all without worry of their feelings.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also a gun nut. I enjoy shooting, collecting, and hoarding firearms much more than hunting with them.

I understand and respect the anti-hunting argument from strict vegans, but also understand that many (including myslelf) don't want to see pics of dead animals on a cigar forum.

Jace, hope you all had a nice time at hunting camp. It looked like lots of fun. Thanks for sharing all the pics. You had some real nice cigars to smoke! I live in western PA and hunting whitetail deer is part of many of our lives here, as you know. I hope your hunt was a success!

My Grandfather had a 300 weatherby mag. Nuts! Too much for wt in my opinion. He hunted moose and elk with it. I did shoot it a few times. A lot of fun.

My Grandfather had a 300 weatherby mag. Nuts! Too much for wt in my opinion. He hunted moose and elk with it. I did shoot it a few times. A lot of fun.

That's what my dad shot his elk with too. My dad has been recently shooting a 257 weatherby mag very flat shooting gun.

Man... I can't believe I missed this thread. Any time I see something involving hunting/guns get posted, I immediately wonder how long it will take before Ken ends up going full Godwin. Well... it took two posts this time. That's pretty much a land speed record for him. LOL

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

l2nVHzwl.jpg

Beautiful! Not a hunter myself but that overwhelming solace found in the nature is unmatched. Looks like a great time, happy smoking and hunting. I wont chime in on anything here. To each their own... enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Just read through this thread. I was told about it at the pre-Christmas cigar dinner in Toronto, and got a couple of PM's about it, but didn't get a chance to read through it until now.

Was asked to comment on it, but wiser men than me have already made some excellent points (and more yet have even more wisely abstained).