third test - finally, australia perform to expectations

the expected crap from australia. they have been a whisker from it in the past two tests, saved by great bowling, warner, haddin and clarke - as well as the tail batting well. and poor english fielding, batting and captaincy.

bailey a truly awful shot. bailey has proved beyond doubt, he is not a test batsman's box. swiping at a ball outside off with a one handed hook? he should shoot himself with embarrassment. the poms have worked out that to get bailey's wicket, they only have to bowl to him.

warner might have got some runs but he has the concentration span of a hamster. he is the lab rat that presses the button that provides an electric shock time after time. does he learn?

rogers is dumber than soup.

as for watson, if he doesn't have naked photos of the selectors bonking goats then there is no excuse for him to be allowed within 500 kilometres of a cricket ground.

and steve smith comes in with the side in a spot of bother. so let's get off the mark with a six. could not spell responsible. he has been given far too many chances and if he does not go on today, has to go. mind you, 'far too many chances' equates to about a thousand chances less than that puffed up, preening dimwit, watson.

hopefully england's batsmen will cooperate and our bowlers will, yet again, clean up the mess. but talk about snatching defeat... you win the toss on a cracking batting wicket in stifling heat. and this happens. idiots.

i know that going into the next test 2-1 up will mean most likely no changes but surely watson must be gone - of course, someone could merely mention to him that he is not looking well and he'd book himself into hospital for the next month. also rogers, smith (unless something happens) and most definitely bailey - is he the worst cricketer to play for us in the last 50 years?

time for beers.

without wishing to jinx him, never seen steve smith bat so well. great to see him step up when needed. still don't like blokes trying to get off the mark with a six but since then, been terrific.

and how good has haddin been.

with the few exceptions, our top order so dodgy but serious questions about the english bowling. very disappointing for the poms, i suspect. and captaincy.

I reckon if the photos Watson has are what's keeping him in the team, then he should be dropped down to 8 and johnson should bat at three! He's a much better bat than Watson, and isn't a **** like Watson.

Time for beers.....been watching it in a bar in Boat Quay Singapore (The Penny Black full of geezers yeah) I have been copping it all day long about Watson from the pommy expat contingency, along with some serious ball chaff. Thank Christ I'm staying at the Fullerton only a couple of hundred meters away, Whilst I agree with you Ken in regard to Shane Watson, all I could say to this horrible bunch of humans here is that the only thing I know about Shane Watson is that he is a better bloke than you lot. Soooooooo untrue. Here's to watching him on boxing day.

Another good fightback by the middle order. Haddin has helped save us so many times the last 8 tests.

Good to also see Smith make his runs when we were on the back foot.

Bailey and Watson were crap. I felt sorry for Rogers as he was striking the ball nicely at the start. Just a small stutter cost him his wicket. It was excellent fielding by Anderson.

Time for beers.....been watching it in a bar in Boat Quay Singapore (The Penny Black full of geezers yeah) I have been copping it all day long about Watson from the pommy expat contingency, along with some serious ball chaff. Thank Christ I'm staying at the Fullerton only a couple of hundred meters away, Whilst I agree with you Ken in regard to Shane Watson, all I could say to this horrible bunch of humans here is that the only thing I know about Shane Watson is that he is a better bloke than you lot. Soooooooo untrue. Here's to watching him on boxing day.

imagine living in london during an ashes series where we copped an utter flogging. copped it at the residences and then copped it at work. every single day. it is why i would probably support al Q if they were playing tiddly-winks against england. any pom who ever ******* about sledging gets very short shrift from me.

without wishing to offend, i think one can say that poms are far better at dishing it out than taking it. no one likes copping it but it has always amazed me how poms are quick to serve it (and no issue with that at all and no suggestion we are any slower) but so horrified when it is returned. and yes, that is a generalisation. but generally accurate.

Yes. I agree, and shown today but this horrible bunch , who were wearing to much make up their shirts were two sizes to small and I think they were wearing their mothers trousers I won't get in to there horrible receding hair lines or as I pointed out to one fellow today receded. But all in all a great bunch of sore losers and some well spoken English gentlemen.

It's going to be 5-0. Well done AUS even if you are only an ordinary side less the rejuvenated Johnson. Team ENG has been found wanting and this series will have bruised some egos and cut out some swagger.

The Aussies wanted it more and we did not turn the screws at significant points in each of the games so far, and our batting has been generally awful.

It's going to be 5-0. Well done AUS even if you are only an ordinary side less the rejuvenated Johnson. Team ENG has been found wanting and this series will have bruised some egos and cut out some swagger.

The Aussies wanted it more and we did not turn the screws at significant points in each of the games so far, and our batting has been generally awful.

a very long way to go for 5-0, i'll still be happy with 3-2.

to be fair to the aussies, and while there is dead wood (especially bailey and watson), a bit more to it than just johnson. 6 batsmen averaging over 54, the problem being that three of the top order (bailey, watson and rogers are around 20 or worse). england only root and bell over 30.

the pace bowling across the board for us very good. lyon and smith the only two bowlers averaging over 21 - you'll win a fair number of tests with that.

for england, only broad under 30 and stokes, anderson, swann and monty between 47 and 99 - you'll lose a lot like that.

haddin has been brilliant - one ton and three 50's. and clarke is surely the best bat on the planet at the moment (one could argue him or s'kara). but two less often addressed areas where australia has been far superior are the fielding and the captaincy.

but england very disappointing. well, i'm not disappointed but you know what i mean.

saw one stat that johnson currently has more runs (forget his wickets) than england's top scoring batsman, root. that is a problem. one of many.

a very long way to go for 5-0, i'll still be happy with 3-2.

to be fair to the aussies, and while there is dead wood (especially bailey and watson), a bit more to it than just johnson. 6 batsmen averaging over 54, the problem being that three of the top order (bailey, watson and rogers are around 20 or worse). england only root and bell over 30.

the pace bowling across the board for us very good. lyon and smith the only two bowlers averaging over 21 - you'll win a fair number of tests with that.

for england, only broad under 30 and stokes, anderson, swann and monty between 47 and 99 - you'll lose a lot like that.

haddin has been brilliant - one ton and three 50's. and clarke is surely the best bat on the planet at the moment (one could argue him or s'kara). but two less often addressed areas where australia has been far superior are the fielding and the captaincy.

but england very disappointing. well, i'm not disappointed but you know what i mean.

saw one stat that johnson currently has more runs (forget his wickets) than england's top scoring batsman, root. that is a problem. one of many.

Agree def re Clarke and Haddin to an extent. Interesting point re Johnson with the bat which just goes to show just how awful we have been.

Agree def re Clarke and Haddin to an extent. Interesting point re Johnson with the bat which just goes to show just how awful we have been.

my point re johnson was not to suggest he is any great batting star - a decent lower middle or upper tail, when he gets going - but exactly what you say. it is inconceivable that england could have performed so badly. i know lots of post mortems coming (unless you squeak out of this) and already started, but i don't think anyone saw anything like this. i certainly didn't. stunned.

my point re haddin is very much restricted to this series. to be fair, he always fights and i was there at the gabba when he and hussey both got tons last series out here (and wouldn't it be great to have hussey back to show a few of our duds how to bat) but not always anywhere near as successful.

it seems that much aligned for us at the same time the gods frowned on your guys. but we need three good bats to come into the top 6 before we can think of being a seriously good side.

i do think that the fielding and captaincy and respective contributions to each have been undervalued.

think of carberry dropping the all time sitter from haddin and then warner taking that absolute screamer - one of the best catches i have ever seen - off carberry. makes a huge difference. and the longer this goes on, the less cook looks like a captain's bootlace.

I went to day 3 of the test in Perth today. Firstly, it was seriously hot and the English players did not look like they wanted to be there. It was pathetic and weak.

The English fans turned out in droves (Perth is little Britain really but there were thousands of travelling poms) and sang their hearts out for most of the day even though it was very hot. I didn't see a single English player wave to the barmy army the whole day. Shameful.

The morning session, especially with the old ball, was just great, great quick bowling. All of Harris Johnson Siddle and even Watson swung the ball and bowled good line and length and also good short stuff.

Lyon did his job. He doesn't get the respect he deserves. he is the first of what, 12 or 13 spinners post-Warnie to put his hand up and do a job and not try to be Warnie.

Warner played a great innings. But Prior's glove work was atrocious. I'm not normally one to bag keepers, I've tried it maybe twice and was hopeless, and they have a tough job but jeez he missed a couple of stumpings and maybe a catch? Let through byes and runs which should have gone against him as sundries.

Cook's field placements were uninspiring and there was no plan at all. His body language was terrible especially as the captain.

KP, broad and Anderson same deal re body language. Swanny I rate as a bloke and a player but he is out of form.

Only poms who had a crack were stokes who bowled with heart if ineffectual, carberry who fielded well, and joe root who played with enthusiasm even though he looks like you want to steal his lunch money.

I'm glad to see the Aussies re-establish their rightful place as custodians of the urn (soon anyway) but I feel for the English who flew for days to get down here and spent thousands or 10's of thousands of dollars (well, pounds) and their team didn't even show up.

Enjoying watching the cricket again.

At times during the Warne McGrath Waugh et al years it became almost embarrassing to watch the cricket. However after being flogged by England for the last 4 or so years I will never again take for granted the good times!

Australia has a good bowling team but is carrying a few batsmen - however fortunately each innings someone has put their hand up and got us over the line. Haddin is having a great series as is Clarke and Warner. Watson should be batting at 6. Bailey has to go and maybe Hughes at 3? Batting line up needs work but then again I would never have picked Smith and perhaps some of these guys just need time (except Watson who is an all - rounder and not a batsman - and certainly not a no.3)

It will be interesting to see how swann bowls at the MCG and the SCG with a lower bounce bringing the lbw into play. I was surprised he really couldn't change his delivery slightly to be more of a top-spinner at the Gabba, especially in the first innings. Offies get wickets in Australia through unexpected bounce not turn - except for the SCG of course where even Allan Border got wickets piffing left arm orthodox pies.peace.gif Hopefully the Aussies can pile on a lead and knock em over in the last day and 2 sessions because I wouldn't be wanting to be going to the MCG and SCG with England still a chance to draw the series and retain the urn. It sounds a bit harsh but that sprinkler dance celebration that the Poms dished out last Ashes series has made me really really want to see them absolutely demoralised for at least a decade. Hopefully the Aussies can show some class and some respect for test cricket and not turn it into a narcissistic side-show. There definitely seems to be a fair bit emotion. Even my Mrs. who went to lunch with her girlfriends was saying the a few of her friends who aren't even into cricket were saying that they hoped the Aussies kept the Poms, with their creamy white complexions, out in the Perth heat so they can just 'BURN'. And this is coming from women who don't really follow the cricket at all. Hopefully both teams are all too exhausted for an embarrassing display that might tarnish a great unexpected victory by Australia. Oh yeah, and Mick Fanning won the World Surfing Title. We're back nyah.gif

Love this summary from Michael Vaughan

"For the third match in a row, Australia have had no pressure whatsoever in the second innings. Rogers and Warner might as well have gone out with flip-flops and cigars. This has been a dreadful, dreadful day for English cricket."

you’ll forgive me but as an aussie, impossible not to love this morning. not that i like watson at all and it means another 15 tests of 20s and 30s but after what we have copped and the poor way we have played – even the watto dismissal was a farce. plus catches 6s and falling over the boundary tho great take, and stopping to have the ball fall between fielders. bell has clearly lost all interest and wants to go home.

then cook first ball.

never in a million years would i have believed this.

plus the skins were not utter crap even if they found a new way to lose and the cowboys were worse.

all four nfc east (or nfc least) teams down again. i suspect whichever team sneaks into the playoffs will be the definition of making up the numbers.

you’ll forgive me but as an aussie, impossible not to love this morning. not that i like watson at all and it means another 15 tests of 20s and 30s but after what we have copped and the poor way we have played – even the watto dismissal was a farce. plus catches 6s and falling over the boundary tho great take, and stopping to have the ball fall between fielders. bell has clearly lost all interest and wants to go home.

then cook first ball.

never in a million years would i have believed this.

plus the skins were not utter crap even if they found a new way to lose and the cowboys were worse.

all four nfc east (or nfc least) teams down again. i suspect whichever team sneaks into the playoffs will be the definition of making up the numbers.

You (an many of us) have bagged Warner, Watson, Bailey, even Smith. Humble pie where humble pie is due (for all of us).

You (an many of us) have bagged Warner, Watson, Bailey, even Smith. Humble pie where humble pie is due (for all of us).

warner off the pitch and justifiably so. appalling behaviour, total tool. but his cricket has been excellent for some time.

watson, more than justifiably. he should never have been there. fine knock this morning but terrific track, unless it hits a crack, a bowling attack without its best and utterly without interest. glen mcgrath would have got a ton today.

and bailey has had a slog. he also should not be there. when bailey and watson can play as though it is 20/20 crap then they are fine. in tough tests, forget it. watson showed how dumb he is with the dismissal.

imagine if this was the england of 6 months ago and not this rudderless, tired, uninterested rabble. bailey and watson got runs in the very best circumstances. neither ever do it in tough circumstances. which is why i was so impressed by smith in the first. didn't think he had it in him. as per posts above. he really proved me wrong and thank god or this could be a very different game.

of course, none of that stopped me loving it.

have you started christmas drinks early? on what planet does that make sense?

so bradman was a failure?

you can only judge/evaluate someone on the full body of their work.

To a point true. Still, in the reareafied atmosphere of sport, if you are in a team then your last performance is sacrosanct. Legends (Bradman) are judged differently.

Hat's off where they are due.