Penfold's Grange 2006 Vintage

Puros Y Vino

Yesterday I paid a visit to one of our local government liquor dispensing monopolies for some items. :P I noticed at the tasting bar that they were sampling 2006 Penfold's Grange. I have long heard of this mythical wine so I plonked down the $5 for the 1 ounce pour. A full bottle was retailing for $500. :covereyes:

The nose was very delicate, had a French quality to it. I took my sweet time aerating it, sipped and swished a bit here and there. Not bad, but not $500 worth great either. Halfway through I noticed a serious amount of sediment. I brought this to the attention of the attendant. He thought it was strange. He queried a few of his workmates and I can sense the horror and backpedalling. "It's supposed to be like that".."..or course it has sediment!"...etc. I for one see no excuse for such a high end bottle of wine to have sediment. I expect that from a bottle of Port.

For you Grange lovers. Is that normal? Finding sediment in the bottle.

I have found sediment before in bottles of Grange, but they were older bottles (early to mid 90's). I'm surprised they didn't decant and filter it before serving.

Personally, at $500 ($700 here in Aus for the current 2008 vintage) I would buy Henschke Hill of Grace instead.

Absolutely.......but wines that costs this much should be decanted to avoid getting the sediment in the glass.

BTW the 2006 is around $600AUD over here. Out of my price range now, but I still have some 1996 & 1997 left.

the 06 is a cracker of a grange.

the argument of 'is it worth it?' can be applied to this and a great many other wines of high prices. great many factors come into play, not least the rep and the desire to try one of the world's most highly regarded wines.

as for the sediment, older granges certainly have it, as do many wines, but wouldn't expect too much from the 06. i'll see if i can find out if that is common with this vintage. been a year or two since i tried it.

I'd be a smart ass: 1 bottle is about 25 ounces. I would tell them I wanted 25 one ounce servings. BOOM - $125 a bottle! 75% off!

if i were serving and someone asked that, i'd pour them all out for him. and if he wanted an empty bottle to put them in to take away, $500.

spoke to peter gago, who makes the stuff so has a bit of knowledge.

Yes, the '06 Grange throws a bit of sediment - as do all Grange vintages, incl. the current release 2008. I think there would be more complaints/comments if there were no sediment in a wine such as Grange, a wine built for long-term cellaring ! I guess it also helps to justify our plea to double-decant ! Grange is always released as a 5 year-old ... more than enough time to allow tartrate & colour matter to crystallise out of solution.

spoke to peter gago, who makes the stuff so has a bit of knowledge.

Yes, the '06 Grange throws a bit of sediment - as do all Grange vintages, incl. the current release 2008. I think there would be more complaints/comments if there were no sediment in a wine such as Grange, a wine built for long-term cellaring ! I guess it also helps to justify our plea to double-decant ! Grange is always released as a 5 year-old ... more than enough time to allow tartrate & colour matter to crystallise out of solution.

Ken, what are your thoughts on the 1991 Grange? I was thinking of cracking it open in a few months with an Australian friend, What would you smoke with it?

love the 1991. it was always in the shadow of 90 (much like 99 overshadowed by 98 but another cracker) but a wonderful wine. 20 plus years a very fine time to drink it.

i've actually had plenty of discussions with gago re the two wines but he has always been very pro the 90. a lot of people have often found the younger wine pips it. it may be that time is now siding with the 90.

as for a cigar, honestly, i would drink it before you light up. have a really good smoke - one you love - to follow. but not with it. you'll do that wine no favours.

Yesterday I paid a visit to one of our local government liquor dispensing monopolies for some items. tongue.png I noticed at the tasting bar that they were sampling 2006 Penfold's Grange. I have long heard of this mythical wine so I plonked down the $5 for the 1 ounce pour. A full bottle was retailing for $500. covereyes.gif

The nose was very delicate, had a French quality to it. I took my sweet time aerating it, sipped and swished a bit here and there. Not bad, but not $500 worth great either. Halfway through I noticed a serious amount of sediment. I brought this to the attention of the attendant. He thought it was strange. He queried a few of his workmates and I can sense the horror and backpedalling. "It's supposed to be like that".."..or course it has sediment!"...etc. I for one see no excuse for such a high end bottle of wine to have sediment. I expect that from a bottle of Port.

For you Grange lovers. Is that normal? Finding sediment in the bottle.

I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't any sediment.

Which store did you get your sample? You got a bargain. I paid $12.50 for a half oz sample of '05 at Queen's Quay about two weeks ago.

I sampled a few others while I gave the Grange some time to open. Half hour of glass swirling maybe, but still very closed. A half ounce isn't enough for a good mouth swishing aeration. Brooding and dark, it hinted at it's potential, but it needed a lot more time to unravel. As it was, I still expected more from it.

At THAT price, I'd ask that the bottle be decatered , and that It would be served WITHOUT any sediment. It Is NOT

the GOOD / NORMAL way of serving It.pod.gif That the wine has sédiments ,Is normal at that age,but It Is NOT normal

to have It SERVED !!!!!tantrum.gif That's why It has to be decantered. party.gif

love the 1991. it was always in the shadow of 90 (much like 99 overshadowed by 98 but another cracker) but a wonderful wine. 20 plus years a very fine time to drink it.

i've actually had plenty of discussions with gago re the two wines but he has always been very pro the 90. a lot of people have often found the younger wine pips it. it may be that time is now siding with the 90.

as for a cigar, honestly, i would drink it before you light up. have a really good smoke - one you love - to follow. but not with it. you'll do that wine no favours.

Thanks Ken. I will take your advice!

Not bad, but not $500 worth great either.

I share your sentiments here.

I tried a few granges before from 1998/1999 and as sublime and beautiful as they were, i can't justify the price tag when i was getting similar if not better quality wines (to my mind and taste buds i guess) from 1998 wines from the Hunter Valley in NSW for example (Shiraz/Cab Sauv mainly) for 20 AU$ a bottle(that was for a box price)!

I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't any sediment.

Which store did you get your sample? You got a bargain. I paid $12.50 for a half oz sample of '05 at Queen's Quay about two weeks ago.

I sampled a few others while I gave the Grange some time to open. Half hour of glass swirling maybe, but still very closed. A half ounce isn't enough for a good mouth swishing aeration. Brooding and dark, it hinted at it's potential, but it needed a lot more time to unravel. As it was, I still expected more from it.

The LCBO at Laird. I'm glad I posted this. A lot of interesting viewpoints, as expected. FWIW, it was worth tasting at $5 a shot. For those of you that enjoy it, don't let my views hamper yours. Lord knows I enjoy expensive items that others would find "excessive". You only come around once, so enjoy what you can. :)