FORMULA 1 - 2014

Legal or not? McLaren ingenious winglet suspension causes a buzz in Jerez paddock

dms1429a260-640x426.jpg

Weird and wonderful nose solutions are attracting most of the obvious attention early in the 2014 Formula 1 season, but behind the scenes, engineers are far more interested in what is lurking at the rear of McLaren’s innovative new MP4-29.

Auto Motor und Sport has called it an “ingenious trick”, explaining that designers for the great British team have used the rear suspension to mimic the now-banned wing profiles beneath the main wing.

“It will be interesting to see if Charlie Whiting is responsive,” the report said. ”If he does not object, the competition will have to catch up quickly.”

A report on Formula 1′s official website said that the McLaren solution “is considered legal by the FIA”, but rival teams are likely to protest loudly.

dms1429a312-graphic-640x426.jpg

That is because of how difficult a complete re-design of entire rear suspension layouts would prove.

It seems that the likes of James Allison and Adrian Newey, perhaps the most respected technical brains in Formula 1, were caught by surprise.

“All I’ve seen are some blurry pictures,” Ferrari’s Allison said, “but I would like to know more about it because it does interest me.”

Red Bull’s Newey seemed to doubt the legality of McLaren’s solution.

“I have not seen the photos,” he said, “but as it is described, it sounds as though there are eight suspension elements, where only six are allowed. Moreover, there are clear rules for the width of the suspension.”

AM&S said that the FIA gave McLaren “the green light” last summer.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the news for Formula 1 is pretty much at a trickle, mostly all repetition. I think I'll end the 2014 season and thread here, thank you all for reading and contributing throughout the year. Ha

Keep up the good work, your F1 thread on the forum is my go-to for news these days. As a fan who has attended Monaco 6 or 7 times in various capacities I can't get enough of whats going on - it almos

What an absolute tool. That is all

Jerez Day 3: McLaren’s Magnussen fastest as lap times start to get respectable

dms1430a392-640x424.jpg

McLaren rookie Kevin Magnussen got his Formula 1 career to the best start possible when he topped the timing sheets at the end of the third day of testing at Jerez de la Frontera in southern Spain on Thursday, where once again, the Mercedes powered teams prospered while the Renault brigade suffered.

Magnussen’s best time of 1:23.276 was almost a second faster than the top time set 24 hours earlier, and almost five seconds up on the times set on the first day, suggesting that the new V6 turbo cars may eventually match their predecessors. The young Dane set his fastest lap time on Pirelli Mediums, late in the day.

With the team having missed Tuesday running, Button was given the morning stint before handing over to Magnussen. The 2009 World Champion’s best time was good enough for fourth fastest of the day, and together they amassed 92 laps.

dms1430a233-640x424.jpg

Thus for the second day in succession the McLaren MP4-29 has been fastest of all, with Button having ended the previous day tops, no doubt a much needed boost for the team undergoing some major changes behind the scenes.

It was another day where Mercedes continued to boast the upper hand as the top four cars on the timing screens were powered by the Stuttgart manufacturer.

It was a productive day for Felipe Massa who made his Williams debut on the day, finishing second fastest with 47 laps to his credit in the FW36. His lap was set in the final minutes of the day’s proceedings.

dms1430a323-640x426.jpg

Next up, third quickest, was Lewis Hamilton who managed a solid run of 62 laps in total at the wheel of the Mercedes W05, which would have been more had a transmission issue not brought the day to an early close for the 2008 World Champion.

Fernando Alonso replaced Kimi Raikkonen in the Ferrari F14T and did 58 laps on his way to the fifth best time, albeit over two seconds down on Magnussen’s best. The Spaniard was also the first to stop out on track with a problem, but was running again, soon afterwards.

Force India returnee Nico Hulkenberg had his first day back at work in the VJM07, but only managed 17 laps and the sixth best time.

Best of the quartet of Renault powered teams was Toro Rosso, with Jean Eric Vergne in the cockpit. The Frenchman managed 30 laps but was 6.6 seconds off the pace. But the day did not end well, as twice in a short space of time the STR9 stopped out on track.

dms1430a366-640x427.jpg

Eighth fastest was Adrian Sutil who had his first outing in the Ferrari powered Sauber C33, but he crashed shortly before 15:00. He ended the day eighth fastest, with 34 laps completed.

Caterham Reserve Driver Robin Frijns did ten laps but did not set a time, while the new Marussia MR02 finally arrived at the circuit but Max Chilton was only able to do three laps.

Once again the problems faced by World Champions Red Bull were the big talking points, as Daniel Ricciardo got his first taste of the RB10, but like his teammate Sebastian Vettel on the previous two days, it was not for long. Ricciardo only managed three laps, as Renault have clearly underestimated the task at hand, and as it stands their V6 turbo engine is the worst of the lot and a big worry to the teams who are dishing out the big bucks for the units.

dne1430ja10-640x424.jpg

Marussia MR03 finally breaks cover at Jerez after two day no show

dms1430a349-640x426.jpg

The Marussia F1 Team enjoyed a positive start to its pre-season testing campaign today, when the brand new MR03 race car made its track debut at the Circuito de Jerez in Spain.

Max Chilton was the first to get a feel for the MR03 and the extent to which a car designed under the dramatic technical regulation changes of 2014 will impact upon driving style and the demands that will be placed on the driver and his engineering team this season.

Max Chilton: “Today has been a real demonstration of the step forward we’ve made as a Team. After the biggest rule change in F1 history, and for a Team of our size and resources, I think we’ve done an exceptional job. Congratulations to the whole Team and our new Scuderia Ferrari colleagues for a superb reward today. We got a good clean run on our installation lap and completed four further laps without issue, so I’m really pleased. Five laps today are far more important than you can imagine, as every detail of the data will be pored over tonight and in the weeks ahead of the Bahrain tests to ensure we can continue making good progress.”

Dave Greenwood, Chief Engineer: “After a huge effort by the whole Team, the five laps we have achieved today may seem scant reward. However, as has been seen up and down the pit lane over the past few days, the first day of testing with this very sophisticated level of technology has really been all about ensuring the systems are reliable and also to give the engineering teams initial track data and the necessary time to aid their understanding of the car. The laps we were able to complete were without issue, so we are pretty pleased with the start we have made to our testing programme. As a Team, together with our new partners at Scuderia Ferrari, we have worked diligently through our planned programme of checks and tonight we will evaluate and digest all of the data collected. Tomorrow is likely to be another challenging day, so we need to be as prepared as possible to make the most of it, but we are very much looking forward to achieving further track time with the MR03.”

Allison: Kimi might not say much, but he knows what to say to make the car quicker

100026tst-640x424.jpg

A good start to the season at Ferrari with Kimi Raikkonen and James Allison on the same wavelength at the end of the second of four days of testing in southern Spain.

By the end of his second and final day at Jerez, Raikkonen had managed to complete a total of 47 laps, the fastest in a time of 1:24.812. He continued the task of checking the car’s functionality as well as trying a few set-up changes.

He said, “Every time we go out on track we learn something new. This week the times don’t matter and the only thing that does is to do a good number of laps without any problems and fortunately, we have managed that on both days. The team is working hard and at the next test in Bahrain, we will continue to improve.”

dms1429a486-640x424.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen was second fastest on day two at Jerez

James Allison, Scuderia’s Technical Director, commented, “We have obtained some good baselines from which to continue the development of the F14 T. We are working mainly on car reliability and so far, we can claim to be reasonably satisfied because, even though we are talking about a car that’s almost totally new, we haven’t encountered any particular problems. We are also happy with the data parameters we have seen in terms of cooling, as well as those relating to aerodynamic downforce: both of them have matched our expectations.”

Asked for an opinion on Raikkonen’s second debut in red, Allison said, “He is still the same strong driver, with his usual phlegmatic approach,” added the Englishman with a smile.

ded1428ja195-640x427.jpg

“It’s difficult for him to get over excited about something, but he gives the engineers the feedback they need to do their job. He might not say much, but he is incredibly accurate when it comes to explain what needs to be done to make the car quicker.”

Allison confessed to not having paid the slightest attention to what other teams have been doing, therefore he is unable to give an opinion on how competitive the F14 T might be. “There’s too much to do to think about the others. We have to keep an eye on every detail, because it only takes the smallest thing to leave you stranded. Between now and Melbourne, we will have to organise every last detail to be ready for the first race.”

Testing continues at the circuit on Thursday, when Fernando Alonso will make his season debut on track in the Ferrari F14T

Red Bull supplier Renault admits there is a problem with their V6 turbo engine

dms1429a424-640x427.jpg

Renault Energy F1, engine supplier to reigning World Champions Red Bull, has admitted it has kicked off Formula 1′s radical new V6 turbo era with a significant problem.

“Obviously we do [have a problem[," the French engine builder's Remi Taffin told reporters at Jerez on Wednesday.

World champion Sebastian Vettel had left the southern Spanish circuit with only a handful of laps under his belt with the title-defending RB10, while key Mercedes and Ferrari-powered rivals collected far more mileage.

"Annoying!" Red Bull's Helmut Marko told Bild newspaper.

"The problem is in the communication between the two KERS systems," he explained. "So, like in a computer if the hardware and software are not working with each other."

Also struggling are Renault’s other Formula 1 customers, including Toro Rosso, the Red Bull sister team whose new STR9 failed even to emerge from the pits on Wednesday. Caterham is the other affected Renault team.

“The[(Renault powered] cars sound like rattling lawn mowers,” said veteran Formula 1 correspondent Roger Benoit, in Blick newspaper. “Renault was even thinking about not coming here.”

Taffin, however, is confident that the problem can be fixed.

“We’ve got the parts, we have the people, we have the means to solve the problem,” he insisted. “We are confident that tomorrow [Thursday] morning at 9am, our customers will take to the track.

ded1428ja165-640x427.jpg

Sebastian Vettel only managed 11 laps over two days at Jerez in the new Red Bull RB10

“This is high technology, which is why we have to be cautious. But I am happy with the solution we have found,” added Taffin.

Crucial track time already lost, however, Red Bull is now having to look ahead to the second test in Bahrain.

Team boss Christian Horner played down the impact.

“Our expectations coming into this test are purely system checks – the proper testing will be in Bahrain,” he is quoted by Formula 1′s official website.

Horner denied that Red Bull is already pushing for the Jerez test to be extended into Saturday, but there are also reports that Renault is paving the road for a delay of the FIA’s ‘Power Unit’ homologation deadline.

“We will be relying extremely heavily on our engine partner,” admitted Horner.

Brawn flattered by McLaren links but his focus is on fishing

brawn-at-the-factory-not-fishing-in-norway-22501_1.jpg

Ross Brawn has denied reports that he is set to join McLaren as its new Chief Executive in the near future.

The British team announced this week that Eric Boullier is switching from Lotus to be the new ‘Racing Director’, but the Frenchman will apparently report to an as-yet unappointed Chief Executive.

Brawn, having stepped down at Mercedes, has been mentioned as the obvious candidate.

But when asked by Britain’s Sky on Thursday about the McLaren speculation, the Briton responded: “I’m focused on my fishing at the moment – no discussions, no comments.

“Come the summer I may take stock and things may change – never say never – but it’s not my plan. Any approaches I’ve had, I have replied with a polite rebuff.

“I am very flattered but simply I don’t want to get involved or engaged,” Brawn insisted.

Symonds has sympathy for troubles at Lotus

d09mal264-640x427.jpg

Williams technical boss Pat Symonds, a former long-time personality at Enstone based F1 team Lotus, says he has sympathy for the struggles that his former colleagues are currently enduring.

Symonds, who returned to Formula 1 with Williams, after serving his ‘crash-gate ban’, dismissed suggestions to the effect thatLotus might have made a wise move in sitting out the Jerez test and learning from their rivals’ tribulations.

“No, absolutely not,” said Symonds, who worked at Enstone throughout its Toleman, Benetton and works Renault guises from the early 80s until forced by his FIA ban to leave F1.

“I don’t think Lotus have done it out of choice,” he told Sky Sports HD at Jerez.

“I think the whole pitlane has some sympathy for their situation,” said Symonds, undoubtedly referring to speculation that Lotus’ financial troubles of 2013 are now affecting their preparations for the new season.

Symonds also said that he thinks that novel ‘twin-pronged’ nose solution of the team’s as yet unlaunched E22 is legal.

“Lotus have been haemorrhaging employees from all departments over the last few months, so I think all of the teams had an idea of where they were going,” he added.

Also speaking at Jerez, Ferrari refugee Felipe Massa hinted that he opted to go to Williams for 2014 because his other main option, Lotus, was “losing people”.

“Lotus…are losing many engineers, and that shows that the situation is not so easy,” the Brazilian, who made his debut in the Mercedes-powered FW36 on Thursday, told Formula 1′s official website.

“Williams is investing – the other team is not investing.”

Schumi being woken up - manager

434863182-184191232011-640x447.jpg

Michael Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm has confirmed on Thursday that the seven-time Formula One champion is slowly being brought out of a medically induced coma.

The German racing legend is being treated for severe head injuries following a skiing accident on December 29, 2013.

"Michael's sedation is being reduced in order to allow the start of the waking-up process which may take a long time," Kehm confirmed in a statement to the press.

Sabine_3059815.jpg

"The family of Michael Schumacher is again requesting to respect its privacy and the medical secret, and to not disturb the doctors treating Michael in their work. At the same time, the family wishes to express sincere appreciation for the world wide sympathy.

"For the protection of the family, it was originally agreed by the interested parties to communicate this information only once this process was consolidated."

The statement added that no further updates about his condition would be given at this point in time.

FIA F1 chief Whiting says clever Lotus front nose is legal

dcd1424ja120vv.jpg

Lotus’ innovative double-pronged, dual length, nose solution for their 2014 Formula 1 has been declared legal by the FIA’s Charlie Whiting.

The solution is even clearly assymetrical, apparently only to slip through a loophole in the rules, but whether the ‘spirit’ of the regulations has been adhered to is less clear.

However, the FIA’s technical chief and race director Whiting, who unlike Lotus, is present at the Jerez test, said the E22 is “legal”.

“The structure has withstood the crash tests and the concept adheres to the letter of the law,” the Briton is quoted by France’s Auto Hebdo.

“The approach is – without a doubt – different, but it is legitimate,” Whiting declared.

“They presented the concept in the summer, and we did not find anything wrong with it. On the contrary, it is a very clever interpretation of the rules,” he added.

The varying nose solutions up and down pitlane have attracted many column inches since the launch season began, but Ferrari’s James Allison said that the design of the very tip of the car is “not so crucial”.

“There are many concepts that work, and ours is one of them,” he said, referring to Ferrari’s more conservative solution that has been likened to a ‘vacuum cleaner’.

Adrian Sutil's Sauber crash in Jerez F1 test due to driver error

1391109275.jpg

Adrian Sutil has admitted that driver error was to blame for his crash during his first day of 2014 Formula 1 testing for Sauber at Jerez on Thursday.

The 31-year-old, who has joined the Swiss team for the 2014 season, lost control of the rear of his Sauber C33 on the approach to Turn 7 on his 35th lap of the day.

He hit the concrete wall on the inside, damaging the car's nose and the front suspension, and blamed a combination of the low track temperature and aggressive torque for the spin.

"It's very, very tricky with the new cars [in addition to] low grip and very cold temperatures as well," said Sutil.

"It caught me out on an installation lap today.

"We had several issues with the engine and the tyres got colder and with the combination of cold tyres and turbocharger, the torque amount came in too aggressively and I lost it in a very strange way.

"It was kind of a small incident and we just had to do a nose change. And the suspension was a bit damaged.

"It's all repairable, that's the good part, and we will be out tomorrow on time."

BRAKE-BY-WIRE PROBLEMS

Sutil encountered problems with the brake-by-wire rear braking system, which is newly permitted by the 2014 regulations.

This made the car more difficult to drive and he is hopeful it will be improved for Friday's running.

"That's why you probably saw me locking up into every corner today, so there was smoke everywhere and I flatspotted many tyres," he said.

1391109262.jpg

"We will try to fix it for tomorrow as it's a system which should be a bit easier for the driver, but is much more complicated for the engineers."

The team is content with the progress it has made with the new Sauber even though it has yet to break the 1m30s barrier.

The car has completed 94 laps, fewer only than Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren.

"We are quite satisfied," said chief designer Eric Gandelin when asked by AUTOSPORT about progress.

"The car, from the first lap, was as expected.

"There has been a bit of frustration because with all of these systems it takes time to check everything several times before you get out. But for the moment [we are satisfied]."

Ross Brawn: I’m retiring – it’s not tongue in cheek – I’ve got no other plans

d13hun1803-640x427.jpg

Former Mercedes Team Principal Ross Brawn will not make a comeback to Formula 1 according to the Daily Telegraph.

Brawn, involved with team management for over 35 years, made the announcement at a fishing event in Scotland, confirming that the sabbatical he took after leaving Mercedes in December is in fact a permanent departure from the sport.

“What they didn’t realise when I was invited here was that they had a scoop because the world’s press was trying to find out if I was retiring or not,” the Briton told the newspaper.

brawn-at-the-factory-not-fishing-in-norway-22501_1.jpg

“This is the busiest time of the year for Formula 1 and I said I would come along and open the River Dee. If they had put two and two together they would have realised I was definitely retiring.”

“It’s a fantastic honour to do the ceremonial opening of the River Dee. It’s a river I’ve never had a chance to fish before because it is predominantly known as a spring river and in the spring I’m normally trying to sort out an F1 car in Spain.

“So February, March and April are never good months for me to go fishing – but this year is different having stopped [F1].”

d09ita1601-640x427.jpg

The 59-year-old is widely credited as a key figure behind Michael Schumacher’s seven world titles at Benetton and Ferrari. He also found success with his self-titled team in 2009, when Jenson Button won the World Drivers’ Championship.

He had been linked with roles at returning engine manufacturer Honda, the FIA, Williams and McLaren, the latter being a potential chance to team up with Ron Dennis after he returned to the team.

“I’m retiring – it’s not tongue in cheek,” Brawn asserted. ”I’m going to take a year to enjoy the fishing and then see what life brings. I’m looking forward to it but I’ve got no other plans.”

Row brewing over new anteater style Formula 1 nosecone solutions

20140129-640x424.jpg

The FIA is reportedly unhappy with some of the Formula 1 anteater style nose solutions that have appeared on the first edition of new 2014 cars, a seen during the first preseason tests in Spain.

Sport Bild reported from Jerez that a major row is brewing in southern Spain, after top teams Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull unveiled cars with largely conventional low noses for the new season.

But other teams, notably Force India and Toro Rosso and co, have been attracting phallic descriptions of their ‘anteater’ thin noses.

Those with the more conventional noses argue that, while the thin noses may comply with the letter of the regulations, they pose a spear-like danger to rival cars in collisions.

Sport Bild said that the top three teams want the FIA to re-write the rules to disallow the thin noses on safety grounds.

d13ita425-640x427.jpg

The publication said, however, that it knows that FIA president Jean Todt is preparing to take the small teams’ side.

Auto Motor und Sport, on the other hand, said that the governing body has launched an investigation, aiming to conclude whether some teams have “gone too far” with their 2014 noses.

The report also said that even the low-nosed Red Bull and Mercedes teams are being put under the microscope, since the very tips of the noses are almost paper-thin, with the actual crash structure located much further back — and higher, contrary to the intention of the new rules.

“This fills the letter but not the spirit of the regulations,” an FIA source was quoted.

Mika - Thanks for running this great thread once again...

and thanks to all the other contributors...........much appreciated

New season, massive changes to everything, anybody game enough to make any predictions yet.............

I feel this year will be the best chance for the "other" teams and drivers to shine. Would be nice for the first lap nutcase (Grosjean) to really show off his talents and Daniel to dominate the german.

Wholeheartedly agree. It's become my official F1 info page. I don't have to many friends who are in to F1 and therefor few people to discuss it with. I really look forward to having some people who I can discuss things with (and possibly share a disdain for Ferrari with).

and thanks to all the other contributors...........much appreciated

New season, massive changes to everything, anybody game enough to make any predictions yet.............

I feel this year will be the best chance for the "other" teams and drivers to shine. Would be nice for the first lap nutcase (Grosjean) to really show off his talents and Daniel to dominate the german.

Hi Matt - Great to see you here! :)

Wow, so hard to fathom who will be at the top tier this season, let alone win a race.

I can wholeheartedly bet Red Bull WILL NOT win the WDC this season.

Mercedes are looking really good thus far in testing so being a Mercedes Fan, I'm gunning for them.

Equally said, I also have a spot for the First lap nutcase Grosjean, I've said it two seasons ago, he is a future WDC and I also am gunning for Hulkenberg at Force India.

In all, I think we will see Force India getting a couple podiums this season, McLaren will return in force.

Really.... I'm guessing as I truly don't have a clue how the new units will perform.

Either way, it's going to be a brilliant season!!peace.gif

Wholeheartedly agree. It's become my official F1 info page.

That's brilliant, thanks for reading and in saying this, that has been my objective by merging all the news etc in one forum. being an F1 fan, I hated going through various sources to read up on the F1 news. There's also alot of rubbish and repetition which I try to filter out. :)

I don't have to many friends who are in to F1 and therefor few people to discuss it with. I really look forward to having some people who I can discuss things with (and possibly share a disdain for Ferrari with).

Feel free to post here anytime and or PM me direct! ok.gif

Wolff: Hamilton and Rosberg are better than Alonso and Raikkonen

dms1428ja168-640x424.jpg

With Mercedes already cast as the early title favourite, boss Toto Wolff is adamant that the Silver Arrows have the best pair of drivers in Formula 1, but is tipping reigning Champions Red Bull to bounce back from an early crisis.

In the driver department, Wolff said Mercedes lacks nothing – not even compared to Ferrari’s ‘superteam’ of Champions Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen.

“Our pair is better!” Wolff proclaimed. “The other two [Alonso-Raikkonen] are strong, but I would not trade Hamilton and Rosberg for anyone in the world.”

Nevertheless Mercedes’ commercial chief and co-owner Wolff, is being cautious, despite the new silver W05 managing something at Jerez that no other team could – a full race simulation.

190388554-16172129120141-640x427.jpg

“It was more than we expected with the debut of the new Power Unit,” the Austrian told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “But we are cautious.

“Our integrated approach brought benefits to the operation of the systems and reliability, and supplying four teams helps us to collect information,” he said. ”But only in Melbourne will we evaluate the performance.”

It has been said that Mercedes as well as Ferrari – as the only works chassis-engine makers in the pitlane – have a clear advantage in Formula 1′s all-new V6-powered era.

“At this stage [yes],” Wolff admitted, “but certainly in the long term I would say no. Red Bull and Renault have had a big handicap not to have driven the four days, but it is too early to talk about overturning hierarchies.”

dpl1428ja003-640x426.jpg

“It’s not good for Formula 1 that a manufacturer is in trouble, but I am sure that they will come back strongly. Hopefully a bit less than before!” he added.

Wolff, referring to Sebastian Vettel, told Auto Bild: “First, they have an outstanding driver.”

“Secondly, they have put together a group of people that works very well. Thirdly, they have the resources from the parent company.”

“So there’s no reason that Red Bull will not once again be the benchmark.”

Finally, Wolff spoke about Formula 1′s controversially-milder V6 engine tones for 2014, and the ‘ugly’ new noses.

dms1430a471-640x427.jpg

“I think the engines sound great on the straights,” Wolff told La Gazzetta. “Mainly because you can even hear the hissing of the turbo. I like it, and the critics will get used to it – it’s a spectacular, modern sound.”

As for the noses, it has been said that Mercedes’ solution is arguably among the most attractive of an otherwize unseemly bunch.

Wolff said: “Honestly, I don’t really like any of them, even if we have more of a classical approach. But that doesn’t mean that we are not still considering some possible variations in the wind tunnel.”

Frijns: This Formula 1 world is not fair – it’s about money

dms1431ja142-640x423.jpg

Highly rated Robin Frijns says modern Formula 1 is not fair as money or the lack thereof is hampering true talent from making it to the top.

The 22-year-old Dutchman, arguably the hottest young talent not yet on the Formula 1 grid, has seen his rise thwarted by his lack of personal backing.

Last year, Frijns combined the Sauber Reserve role with an on-again, off-again GP2 campaign, but ultimately he lost both seats due to the money issue.

For 2014, he has been signed by Caterham and will appear in the green car at grands prix on some Friday mornings, but he will not combine the seat with GP2 because the grid of the support series is now dominated by ‘pay drivers’.

dms1430a108-640x426.jpg

Frijns said that Formula 1 is heading the same way. Referring to his situation in 2013, he admitted: “I thought it was not fair, as I had worked so hard for years, winning Championships, going to the limit in every race – but for what?

“This world is not fair — it’s about money. It’s like you pay $20 million to the Barcelona [football team and they put you on the field?"

"It's the same here," Frijns told Spain's El Confidencial. "I'm not saying they're bad drivers," he added hastily.

"It has always been about money, but not as much as now. The crisis began four years ago and the teams are really suffering. And with the changes with the V6 this year, it's costing even more."

Explaining how his Sauber adventure ended mid-season, Frijns said: “At the end of the year the car was very good, but in the middle the team had financial problems that everybody knows about.

“Then came the story with Sirotkin…I couldn’t be in the car. But I don’t regret the experience with Sauber, I know what the circumstances were and I can’t blame them for anything,” he insisted.

Now, he has started a new adventure with Caterham, and has already tested the 2014 car at Jerez, albeit amid Renault’s technical meltdown.

“I changed my manager and I got this opportunity with Caterham,” he said.

“I am more involved in the team than I was [at Sauber] last year, I have more time on the track, which is quite rare these days. I feel that they believe in me, and that is very important,” added Frijns.

Newey: We will be talking about an engine formula in the early part of the season

166985936KR00053_F1_Grand_P-640x424.jpg

Adrian Newey, the fabled designer of Red Bull’s troubled RB10, expects the early stages of the 2014 Formula 1 season to be dominated by the new V6 turbo engine (Power Unit) rules.

At Jerez last week, the reigning World Champions struggled even to run the new car due to problems in mating the Renault V6 turbo and related energy-recovery technology with Newey’s famously extreme aerodynamic packaging.

“At least in the early part of the season,” Newey is quoted by Autosprint, “we will be talking about an engine formula.”

“Reliability, power, fuel consumption – they will be decisive factors,” he added. ”The aerodynamics will only really count once these new V6s have matured.”

dms1428ja491-640x426.jpg

“But it has to be said that we are relying on the ‘power unit’ not only on Renault – there are many other suppliers.

“And each of them will have to adapt to the development speed of modern Formula 1,” said Newey.

The 55-year-old Briton is undoubtedly the most famous technical boffin in the Formula 1 paddock. He said that preparing for 2014 was “the biggest challenge of my career”.

“We had a small [development period] for such a complex car,” he admitted.

Ericsson: I can’t chop off a leg to lose weight so instead I won’t be eating burgers

12191541376_d24aa8e844_o-640x427.jpg

Swedish rookie Marcus Ericsson has kicked off his Formula 1 career with a diet after revealing that his engineers have tasked him with losing weight before Melbourne.

“They haven’t said I need to be any particular weight,” said the 23-year-old who will make his grand prix debut with Caterham in Australia next month, “but I’ll go down as much as I can, ensuring that I can still race for two hours.”

Eurosport reported that Ericsson, 180cm tall and 69 kilograms, has entered a diet programme with a specialist Italian clinic renowned for helping single-seater drivers lose weight.

“We will work closely making sure I am at the right [weight],” he said, “as you still need the highest concentration for two hours.

dms1427ja83-640x427.jpg

“It is extremely hot and with high G-forces, so it’s impossible to be a skeleton. I won’t be eating burgers for lunch and dinner but I still need to eat, because I train hard every day.”

Ericsson lamented the situation in Formula 1, where a significant increase in the weight of the cars for 2014 has not been greeted with a corresponding minimum weight-limit change.

“It’s a shame that the FIA and Formula 1 can’t just make a decision and increase the weight by 10kg,” he said. “Then it wouldn’t be a big deal and everyone would have the same opportunities.

“But what can you do? I can’t chop off a leg. Three kilos is a tenth per lap in this game, and my teammate (Kamui Kobayashi) is 7 or 8kg lighter than me.”

Vergne: I now understand why I was not chosen by Red Bull and it’s the best option for me

163377022KR00088_F1_Grand_P-640x424.jpg

Jean-Eric Vergne insists that he has put behind him the disappointment of Red Bull’s decision to overlook him for the seat alongside Sebastian Vettel this year.

The Frenchman admits that he struggled initially to cope when his 2013 Toro Rosso teammate, Daniel Ricciardo, was called up to replace Red Bull’s retiring veteran Mark Webber.

“It was difficult at the time,” Vergne told the Spanish news agency EFE at an event for Toro Rosso sponsor CEPSA.

“But I think the winter break really helped me to think about everything. And I came to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with being at Toro Rosso.

464823099_PF_9275_D23F2BD057A5A0C105F593CFBCFFEE52-640x424.jpg

“It is the best option for me, and Red Bull has always made the best decisions for my career,” said the 23-year-old.

“If they didn’t choose me, it’s because they didn’t think I was ready yet. I need to work more on some specific areas. So I’m ready to do much better this year,” Vergne added.

He said that the Ricciardo situation forced him to take a philosophical view about his place in Formula 1.

“You have two options,” said Vergne. “The first is not to understand, and be angry. Or grieve, [and] to think that you’re the best and they are wrong.

“The second option, which is what I choose, is to understand the reason for the decision and see the positive side. To work on all the aspects necessary for you to become a better driver. And be happy,” he insisted.

Marko admits redesign to Red Bull RB10 is annoying

464823153XX00086_F1_Testing-640x427.jpg

Helmut Marko is convinced that Red Bull will get its 2014 Formula 1 World Championship title defense back on track.

The reigning World Champions endured a disastrous opening test at Jerez as designer Adrian Newey’s typically extreme packaging for the new RB10 clashed badly with engine supplier Renault’s early V6 Power Unit niggles.

“We need to redesign certain things,” Red Bull’s Marko told Auto Bild. ”It’s annoying, but I keep remembering that in 2010 we also did not test in the first week.”

Red Bull, and the now quadruple-consecutive World Champion Sebastian Vettel, ultimately went on to win the 2010 title.

This time, however, the problems appear to be more serious. Auto Bild quoted technical chief Newey as admitting that he has “no idea” if he can solve the RB10′s problems to his satisfaction.

Marko, though, is confident, ”Adrian’s concept is good in principle – I think our car is very elegant, and beautiful cars are usually also fast.”

Raikkonen manager David Robertson dies

d05jpn1668-640x424.jpg

One of Kimi Raikkonen’s long standing managers, David Robertson, has died.

It emerged late last year that the 70-year-old, who teamed with his son Steve to bring drivers like Finn Raikkonen and Jenson Button into Formula 1, was in hospital in the USA with cancer.

“Very sad to hear that David Robertson, who helped me reach my dream of racing in Formula 1, has passed away,” McLaren driver Button, who had no longer worked with the Robertson duo, said on Twitter.

The Finnish broadcaster MTV3 reported that Robertson had suffered from cancer of the larynx.

It emerged a week ago that Raikkonen, who switched from Lotus to Ferrari over the winter, was now working with Ex Formula 1 driver Mark Blundell’s management company MB Partners.

“I have known Kimi’s management and advisors for a very long time,” said Blundell, “and as such, we are working closely together on behalf of Kimi.”

In other sad news, it has been confirmed that GP2 boss Igor Mazepa, who headed the 2013 title-winning Russian Time outfit, has died at the age of 40.

According to media reports, it is believed that the Ukrainian died after a blood clot.

Sainz will use 2014 to show Red Bull that he is ready for F1

dms1318jy171-640x424.jpg

Last year Carlos Sainz Junior was one of a few Red Bull drivers hotly tipped to replace Daniel Ricciardo in the Toro Rosso team for 2014, and although the Spaniard will not be in F1 this year, he still believes that there is a chance to progress to the top tier of the motor sport.

Instead of Sainz, relatively unknown Russian teenager Dniil Kvyat got the nod to partner Jean Eric Vergne in the Toro Rosso team, while Sainz will replace F1 bound Kevin Magnussen in the DAMS Formula Renault 3.5 team.

Speaking during a CEPSA sponsorship event in Madrid, Sainz said, “This year I want to fight for the [Formula Renault 3.5] Championship, I think I have to focus on this and demonstrate to Red Bull that I am ready for Formula 1.”

Lotus to test double nosed E22 at Jerez on Friday

dcd1424ja107-640x411.jpg

Lotus will not wait until the next official test in Bahrain to get its delayed and already controversial 2014 Formula 1 car on track.

Having not attended the first test at Jerez, the Enstone team will give its E22 a track debut this Friday and Saturday at the southern Spanish circuit.

Officially, the Lotus outing at Jerez will be for promotional ‘filming days’ on demonstration Pirelli tyres, allowed under the rules regulating the sport’s strict limits on track testing. Teams are allowed 100 km for this purpose.

But Autosprint correspondent Roberto Chinchero said the session will actually be a crucial outing for engine supplier Renault, who are reportedly footing the bill, in the aftermath of the Jerez test, seen as a debacle for the French engine manufacturer.

It will also be the first time Lotus’ novel asymmetrical, double-pronged nose solution sees the light of day.