a full circle with the Cubans

MedioTiempo

I've just signed up and would like to say hello.

I am Canadian, lived mostly around Toronto (Go Leafs Go!), spent some years in Calgary, then lived a few in Boston, and now reside in sunny UK.

My first exposure to cigars was in Cuba in the form of Monte2 and Siglo-II (admittedly not a great experience since I did not know how to smoke them). My second encounter was in Boston with an infused sampler of Drew Estates. I truly enjoyed the saturating aromatic experience and pretty much tried every kind in the flavoured genre. One summer evening, a friend handed me a funny looking thing (AFH short story), and to make a long and predictable story short, I traded away my remaining large stock of the perfumy sticks for a handful of Padilla Miami and several DPGs and didn't look back. That is, until I moved to the UK.

I really enjoyed the rich nutty, creamy and coffee profile of the Nicaraguan stuff while living in the US and didn't really think much about the whole Cuban "fad". The moment I crossed over the pond I visited the local tobacconist. Upon recovering from a brief heart attack after realizing the costs over here, I grabbed individual sticks of VR Famosos, JL2, RASS, Secretos and Reyes as they were the cheapest Cubans in the shop. I was bitterly disappointed about their diminutive stature as I had become accustomed to the fat stogies in the US. However, a quick cut and torch of the Famosos, an orgasmic experience sitting on a bench in the park, changed my entire view of a cigar profile.

I had done a full circle back to the Cubans, been here for awhile, and don't plan to leave anytime soon.