American Hustle

poisonowns

Went on a double date with my wife and a couple we're friends with to see American Hustle. I didn't know much about this movie prior to going, but I knew Jennifer Lawrence was in it.

The movie was slow. The gist is that Christian Bale and his partner are con artists who end up getting drawn into a bigger con than theyre used to by a couple of feds looking to make names for themselves.

What was a 2 hour and 10 minute movie felt like it was closer to 3 hours. About 30 minutes in i was wishing i went to see Lone Survivor instead. There were a couple of funny moments, and the last 20 minutes or so kept me interested, primarily because DeNiro was introduced. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't featured nearly as much as I had hoped. Same with DeNiro.

To sum it up, I was hoping it'd be more interesting with all the recognizable actors in the movie. For instance, Oceans 11 isn't an Academy Award movie but I've probably watched it 10 times.

I won't be watching this movie again.

I agree, it was a let down of a movie for all of the hype surrounding it. I saw it three weeks after its release in theaters and could barely get a seat in the theater as there was so many people there.

I found it hard to listen to Jennifer Lawrence's character, her voice was uncomfortably nasally. And the first 30 minutes of the movie almost put me to sleep.

Lone survivor would have been a better option, action packed from the start to finish - check it out

I liked it, yeah a bit draggy but i thought Bale and Amy Adam's gave a top performance. You would think its nearly impossible for any actress at the moment to beat Jennifer Lawrence in hotness category but Amy Adams was super sexy.

If you thought American Hustle was long wait till you watch Wolf of Street that was 3 hours that felt like 4. Not taking anything away from Dicaprio or Mcconaughey great acting. I have to say Dicaprio's best work and i'm not a big fan of him. His work just keeps getting better and better.

Lone Survivor is an entertaining movie as cart mentioned more action pack.

I respect that. My wife and I went with another couple and we were split as to who liked it and who didn't. Guess I was just expecting something different! I thought it'd be the type of movie where I'd be on the edge of my seat.

The characters complexity and I don't feel like they took me on a journey :)

????

I thought that film was great!

Just saw it and my wife and I completely loved it!! Fantastic acting on all parts. Funny, but not stupid. For me the best movie of 2013 (even though I only saw it in 2014), followed closely by Gravity.

It was an ok movie not great, but quiet frankly, one of the most over-hyped and over- glorified movies I've seen come around in a long time. It definatly should not be in the company of others for " movie of the year" like it seems to be.

• Like 1

For me it is still far behind: Mud, Captain Philips, Saving Mr Banks, Gravity, 42, The Place Beyond the Pines, Superman and Lone Survivor for 2013.

But it's still ahead of The Wolf of Wallstreet.

Thought it was great. Phenomenal ensemble acting effort, just terrific. David O. Russell finally has found Bradley Cooper's talent with Silver Linings Playbook and now AH.

I'll admit it did seem to run longer that it's actual time, but I didn't mind too much. My fiancee had too high of expectations going in, and was thusly disappointed. Seems to be the favorite for Best Picture no? Maybe neck and neck with 12 years.

I'm really interested to see Dallas Buyers Club to see how the Leto/Mcconaughey performances stand up to Bale/Cooper. Should be a fun Oscars.

For me it is still far behind: Mud, Captain Philips, Saving Mr Banks, Gravity, 42, The Place Beyond the Pines, Superman and Lone Survivor for 2013.

But it's still ahead of The Wolf of Wallstreet.

Captain Philips was phenomenal, definitely top 3 for me, Lone Survivor is too.

I didn't much care for Gravity, don't know what people saw in it aside from graphics

• 2 weeks later...

It was an ok movie not great, but quiet frankly, one of the most over-hyped and over- glorified movies I've seen come around in a long time. It defiantly should not be in the company of others for " movie of the year" like it seems to be.

Just saw it last night and I couldn't agree with this more. We usually see at least 75% of the Oscar nominated films each year and this was one of the weakest ones I can remember seeing. It dragged on, the characters were pretty superficial, and the scenes were just repetitive. There's better choices out there.

• 1 year later...