You are handed a cigar....do you

i am sure this has happened to many of us wink.png

....you meet someone new who is genuine and has a love of cigars. now this person is not a great friend (let's face it you can talk openly to a great mate), but the person is friendly and gives you a cigar which you insist you try. It could be any cigar from a Cuban to a NC "Tripple Illusion My Nephew's Cat"

While it is a big cigar, you feel compelled to light it up in sign of frienship with which it was given.

it is an absolute shocker from the opening. You go a half inch...it is worse. Did I memtion it was a big cigar?

Your gifter is waxing lyrical about his (same cigar). He has those eyes of expectation boring in at you looking for validation of his experience. lookaround.gif

Did I mention it was a big cigar

My two questions:

Do you tell him the truth or skirt around your true feelings to protect his own...

To be polite ...do you finish the cigar?

Over to you

lol3.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I believe in telling the truth while still expressing gratitude. Different palates like different tastes.If the cigar is just OK I'll smoke it. If it's nasty I won't, but still be thankful.

I've been in that same situation as far as being leaned on to smoke something right then and there. But I insist to them that I don't smoke in public. I've got my reasons, not just because I'm a girl and feel funny being seen with a big stick in my mouth. So if you politely but firmly insist that you just can't (or do not choose to) it's up to that person giving it to you to have enough character to respect your wishes. And if he doesn't then it would explain why the cigar has that same missing character and quality.

Skirt the issue, its the thought that counts. Unless it was supposed to be a habano and it was fake and he was dropping good amounts of money down the toilet then i would find it necessary to enlighten him gently.

By shocker from the opening I assume you mean shockingly good, then goes south half inch in.

I would give it another quarter to half inch to see if it improves. If yes, we are good. If not, I would put it down, be open and honest with my feedback and while reaching for a stick for me, return one of mine to him and say thanks for the generosity. I'd go on to say that my time is precious and I'd prefer to smoke something I will enjoy more and would appreciate the opportunity to continue to smoke with him and encourage him got try my gifted cigar.

If shocker as in horrible from the beginning, same story except I wouldn't give and xtra quarter to half inch..

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.279459,-81.383608

Id finish the whole cigar and say thank you. If he asked for my opinion Id say it was not to my taste.

Imagine if you got half way, turfed it after claiming it was plugged and he went and got you another..Haha.

This calls for a little finessea. Side step the whole issue by telling him that you are getting over a nasty cold

and that when you feel better you will smoke his stoogie and give him a call on how you enjoyed it. This way

you get back the control in this situation. Always except a gift with grace never refuse, it shows bad taste.

Dilemma. I'd have to go with the advice of Poet Emily Dickenson who said, "Tell it truth but tell it Slant." Seems to be a message of others as well.

I will be honest and state that I am touched by his kindness and his gift. I will then state that I am very set in my ways and the cigar is not for me. Then i will give him one of my own and ask him to compare the two.

99% of the time, i will see their face light up like a christmas tree when they try a very good - great cigar and what experience they have been missing out on.

I don't hand out big brand name or big cigars. I just hand very aged, under stated cigars of high quality.

Id finish the whole cigar and say thank you. If he asked for my opinion Id say it was not to my taste.

Imagine if you got half way, turfed it after claiming it was plugged and he went and got you another..Haha.

X2

Better to err on the side of politeness, heck it's only a cigar. Offer him one later and compare.

This happened to me last week!... my smoking buddy brought his cousin with him who supposedly knows a lot of about cigars. He gave us both sticks. 20 minutes into it, I felt disgusted by everything that this cigar was about.. I lied and said if I smoke this cigar I might have an upset stomach, this is too strong for me. He replied, "No problem, I have a lighter one for you", I replied laughing, " Noway, I dont trust you, I'll stick To my Ashton VSG" we all laughed. End of story.

Be honest, but polite. Tell him that he may find it a great cigar but unfortunately it's not for you.

+1

Add to it i'll offer him a really good CC and rub it in a little lol

By shocker from the opening I assume you mean shockingly good, then goes south half inch in.

I would give it another quarter to half inch to see if it improves. If yes, we are good. If not, I would put it down, be open and honest with my feedback and while reaching for a stick for me, return one of mine to him and say thanks for the generosity. I'd go on to say that my time is precious and I'd prefer to smoke something I will enjoy more and would appreciate the opportunity to continue to smoke with him and encourage him got try my gifted cigar.

If shocker as in horrible from the beginning, same story except I wouldn't give and xtra quarter to half inch..

---

I am here: http://maps.google.c...9459,-81.383608

I like your response. I agree.

Do you tell the truth....yes....plenty of nice ways to tell someone this cigar is not to my taste besides my dog makes better cigars everyday.

Finish the cigar...NO

Luckily the only time I can remember someone gave me a dog **** I pitched it after 3 puffs.......no one was watching....