best opening song to a concert

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen Bruce 3 times live, and I stick to my guns, U2 has been the best live show, not even close! If i'm being honest the next that even comes close was Rolling Stones. Coming in as almost a tie

Metallica: 1994 **** hits the Sheds Tour: Breadfan

RUSH - Spirit of the Radio

Easy for me:

U2 360 Tour

Walk in to David Bowie's : Major Tom, then start the show with "Even Better than the Real Thing"!

(This was filmed in Miami, but I saw the same thing live in Dallas!) I've seen U2 13 times live, and they are without a doubt the best live concert I've seen! My credentials of live shows consist of such greats as : The Jackson 5 Reunion Tour: Victory, Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Blink 182, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Guns'N Roses, Coldplay, Tears For Fears, Ect. U2 tops them all! Hands Down!

I mean, if you can't dig this, then we just can't be friends....

Easy for me:

U2 360 Tour

Walk in to David Bowie's : Major Tom, then start the show with "Even Better than the Real Thing"!

(This was filmed in Miami, but I saw the same thing live in Dallas!) I've seen U2 13 times live, and they are without a doubt the best live concert I've seen! My credentials of live shows consist of such greats as : The Jackson 5 Reunion Tour: Victory, Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Blink 182, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Guns'N Roses, Coldplay, Tears For Fears, Ect. U2 tops them all! Hands Down!

I mean, if you can't dig this, then we just can't be friends....

saw U2 in sydney way back. guest of a delightful, tall, blonde air hostie. she'd been given tickets by bb king on the flight over. i'd never met her. i'd just moved to sydney and she lived down the road and knocked on the door and asked if i was interested - i swear i thought my mates were filming a set up.

as for the concert, loved bb king's set. and at one stage, U2 broke into neil young's 'like a hurricane'. by far the best moment of the concert. rest of the concert was okay but to be honest, it left me a bit bored. plus bono leaves me utterly cold.

but to compare them to springsteen, and a few others on that list - beyond comprehension. i cannot imagine that there are drugs on this planet, strong enough to create that hallucination.

U2 to springsteen is a plugged monte open to a great hamlet custom rolled. sauv blanc to DRC.

rob, do you really want me posting yet more bruce vids? happy to.

of all his openings from the concerts i've seen, the one in melbourne in 03 was the most dramatic. it was the day the USA invade iraq so he kicked off with a massive version of 'War', combined with 'Born in the USA'

saw U2 in sydney way back. guest of a delightful, tall, blonde air hostie. she'd been given tickets by bb king on the flight over. i'd never met her. i'd just moved to sydney and she lived down the road and knocked on the door and asked if i was interested - i swear i thought my mates were filming a set up.

as for the concert, loved bb king's set. and at one stage, U2 broke into neil young's 'like a hurricane'. by far the best moment of the concert. rest of the concert was okay but to be honest, it left me a bit bored. plus bono leaves me utterly cold.

but to compare them to springsteen, and a few others on that list - beyond comprehension. i cannot imagine that there are drugs on this planet, strong enough to create that hallucination.

U2 to springsteen is a plugged monte open to a great hamlet custom rolled. sauv blanc to DRC.

I've seen Bruce 3 times live, and I stick to my guns, U2 has been the best live show, not even close! If i'm being honest the next that even comes close was Rolling Stones.

Coming in as almost a tie for Second was The Highwaymen, with both of thier tours. For those of you that don't know who the HIghwaymen were, it was a super group that consisted of Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson = Epic!!!!

• Like 1

rob, do you really want me posting yet more bruce vids? happy to.

of aall his openings from the concerts i've seen, the one in melbourne in 03 was the most draamatic. it was the day the USA invade iraq so he kicked off with aa massive version of 'War', combined with 'Born in the USA'

I've seen Bruce 3 times live, and I stick to my guns, U2 has been the best live show, not even close! If i'm being honest the next that even comes close was Rolling Stones.

each to his own, i guess. whilst i'd fly around the globe to see bruce, if there was something good on telly, i probably wouldn't even bother with U2, even if they were nearby.

regretting i didn't get tickets, when i had a chance, for the stones though - here in march.

i will say that for me, the other top concerts - dylan, young - both twice and clapton at the royal albert hall (with mark knopfler on guitar and phil collins on drums). white room and shot the sherrif from memory.

dylan in london with 'like a rolling stone' was brilliant but dylan in brisbane on the budokan tour with 'hard rain' even better.

i will say that for me, the other top concerts - dylan, young - both twice and clapton at the royal albert hall (with mark knopfler on guitar and phil collins on drums). white room and shot the sherrif from memory.

dylan in london with 'like a rolling stone' was brilliant but dylan in brisbane on the budokan tour with 'hard rain' even better.

I got to see Dylan and Townes Van Zandt do a show together, it was amazing!

I got to see Dylan and Townes Van Zandt do a show together, it was amazing!

okay, this might show my ignorance but is townes van zandt related to stevie van zandt?

the london concert was dylan and tom petty. petty and band played the first third. then dylan with petty and band operating as his band.

Coming in as almost a tie for Second was The Highwaymen, with both of thier tours. For those of you that don't know who the HIghwaymen were, it was a super group that consisted of Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson = Epic!!!!

Skyfall, if you got to see Highwaymen live, then I think you win hands down!

July of 07 or 08, was at jones beach with the wife in the nosebleed section watching a massive thunderstorm creep towards us... During modest mouse (with Johnny marr!) as the opener lightning struck the back of the stadium behind us and the MM boys put down their instruments and walked off the stage to a monsoon...

We were there to see REM as the headliner and stood in the rain for two hours... When they finally started the show, they opened with CCR's "have you ever seen the rain" and then played two hours straight in the pouring rain...

The moment they said goodnight, the rain stopped instantly.... Amazing show

10.7.1988, Bramall Lane (Home of Sheffield united FC and until 1973, Yorkshire County Cricket Club). Bruce Springsteen -Tunnel of Love.

Despite having seen him before to hear the opening notes in my hometown, at the home of my beloved blades was unbelievable, I can feel the hairs on my arm standing as I think of it and I can see him now in his bootlace tie on hallowed turf. He absolutely ripped the **** out of it (the song not the turf). My 3 greatest loves combined football/cricket/The Boss.

Bramall Lane Facts - the oldest ground in the world still hosting professional football, the first ground in the world to host a floodlit football match, the only ground to have staged an FA Cup Final, an England international football match and an Ashes cricket test (1902). A ground graced by all the cricketing greats including Bradman, Hutton, Boycott and Sobers. Also I am pretty sure ( but not 100% certain) that it was the place the phrase "back to square 1"was used for the first time, it was for radio football commentary and a numbered grid of squares was devised and published in the newspaper to hep listeners, square 1 was the goalkeepers area, hence the phrase when the ball went to him.