One Bottle of Rum

AbuAmelia

So I've been crawling out of my hole as of late and expanding my horizons when it comes to alcohol. For the most part of my life I've only drank Cognac. Occasional Vodka in the summer by the pool, tequila shots every now and then but that's pretty much it. The last year or so, I've dropped Cognac in favor of scotch. Love it. The collection is growing, I haven't put Cognac to my lips in about a year. I've tried to graduate to Bourbons but I can't quite get there. Something about the taste that I just don't like. The more I read on here the more I want to try new things with my cigars.

One liquor I have never tried because I always thought it was cheap, ( Bacardi) is RUM. Reading cigar forums and books, lots of people pair these two together. I'd like try this tonight.

Which now leads me to this question. If you were to purchase one bottle and ONLY ONE bottle of Rum, which would it be? And how would you drink it. I think I've always avoided it, because as I was growing up, because always went to the bar and ordered Rum and Coke. I didn't like the sound of adding Coke to alcohol.

So what would you buy and how would you drink it? Hopefully I'll get enough responses by the time I leave the house to make a liquor store run.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Everyone for your input. I picked up these two today. Love the heavy bottle on the Zaya!

Had to get all 3! They are all fabulous!

OK, you bastages! I've never been a fan of rum but after reading this thread, you got me interested! I've never had any of the "good stuff" always the cheap crap, mostly when I was in college. Wen

Easy. Ron Zacapa XO. Straight. With or without ice. It is very reminiscent of Cognac while providing the basics of a good rum. RZ23 is a popular choice amongst many people here. It is excellent, but when I compared it to the XO, it wasn't even close. The XO is very complex, some sweetness but not too much. Loads of caramel, burnt honey flavours. Dont mix this with anything.

• Like 1

I am going to the Bahamas with the wife on Feb 11th for my 40th. Is there a good one I can pick up since there are betters ones outside of the country?

a6u4y4er.jpg

Looks like Zacapa 23 is the way to go. Good price point as well. Although I would like to try the XO, I don't want to drop $100 on something I've yet to try.

Hold on now. Ron Zacapa is good. Damn good.

But I likes me some Zaya (on the rocks or neat) more. The vanilla and sweetness are great paring with a stronger stick. That'd be my bottle.

p.s. if you must mix, as I do from time to time, a dark and stormy with Kraken is great in the summer with a good floral stick.

• Like 1

I drink rum and diet coke almost exclusively. Its a very good, sweet drink that pairs well with CC's. My favorites are Zaya, Ron Zacapa, and Cruzan. My current favorite is a 50/50 mixture of Cruzan white and Zaya. A very nice combination with a coke and a CC.

• Like 1

I love Zaya!!!!!! One of my favorites!!

Also check out the Brugal 1888!!! Great Stuff.

Plantation 20th Anniversary

Cruzan Single Barrel

Mount *** 1703

• Like 1

Another vote for the Ron Zacapa 23yo!

Best rum I ever had was the Rhum Clément I had last week but I still need to find out more about it.

I've had several different lines of the Rhum Clement Rum family. I agree, they are all great!

Zacapa 23 is the way to go. $40 at total wine. Ive only had it neat, but would definitely like to hear any cocktail suggestions with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is really no point in my opinion in using aged higher end rum in a cocktail. When you mix rum with syrups, fruit juices, sodas or other sweet mixers, you can't tell a difference in a $15 decent rum and a $50 rum.

For cocktails I stick with Mount ***, Appleton Estate and the very under appreciated, but cheap Flor de Cana!

• Like 2

A very versatile and satisfying rum and a total surprise winner of my rum tasting last summer: Koloa. A hawaiian rum. Not too fussy, not too sweet, not too light or heavy...right at the heart of what a good rum should be. Does well in mojitos too.

Wilkey

• Like 1

Just a suggestion, I would have also picked up a bottle or 2 of the less high end bottles like Appleton estate v/x or Mount *** eclipse rum. Both mixing rums but not that bad to sip.They don't even come close to the suggestions in this thread for sure but trying them would show you the massive difference in taste and hence elevate your appreciation and respect for the top shelf bottles like Zacappa and co. peace.gif

• Like 1

You sure started by buying awesome rums for a new drinker. I would also recommend ElDorado 12 and 15. Both are great and quite different from one another. If you want to go further get the Zacapa XO. It is incredible stuff. Also if traveling pick up some Havana Club 7. It is agreat starting point for this line. All of these should be enjoyed neat or with one cube.

For one bottle, to drink neat:

Ron Zacapa XO

Eldorado 21

Clement XO

Havana Club Selection de Maestros

Havana Club Gran Reserva 15yr.

I can't suggest a mixer, because I use Eldorado 5 white for mojitos.