One Bottle of Rum

AbuAmelia

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Everyone for your input. I picked up these two today. Love the heavy bottle on the Zaya!

Had to get all 3! They are all fabulous!

OK, you bastages! I've never been a fan of rum but after reading this thread, you got me interested! I've never had any of the "good stuff" always the cheap crap, mostly when I was in college. Wen

7 is good. the 15 anos is brilliant i you can find it.

ps - probably not the cleverest move of the day to actually put "i smuggled them in" on a public site.

perhaps, 'a friend sent me this photo and i was curious' might have been wiser.

pretty hard to defend in court when you dob yourself in.

7 is good. the 15 anos is brilliant i you can find it.

ps - probably not the cleverest move of the day to actually put "i smuggled them in" on a public site.

perhaps, 'a friend sent me this photo and i was curious' might have been wiser.

pretty hard to defend in court when you dob yourself in.

I corrected it! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I keep going on about this stuff but if you can find Ron Caney Anejo Centuria (Cuban), I think it's the best rum out there, especially for the price, $7.60 in Cuba, about 11 euros in Spain.

Personally I find Zacapa too sweet and I'm not a fan of Havana Club 7 at all, I get an acetone aftertaste off it.

For a rum legal in the US, I like the Dominican Matusalem Solera 7, not too sweet, with a little vanilla/Baileys on the nose, very pleasant.

I usually drink rum neat with a little ice. If I'm in a place where I'm having Cuba Libres, I start off with a few Cubatas first, then onto the Cuba Libres. After the first 6 or so, there's no point spending the extra on a Cubata..:)

rones02.png

The Diplomtico reserva exclusiva is my constant. Right price, perfect with a medium bodied cigar. Is quite sweet though so it depends on your own taste preferences, but for me it's a winner.

x1

Can't get enough of this........

I have really come to like it. They have the 21 yr at the store I go to and I am very tempted :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Matusalem..great stuff

I'm also a Single Malt guy but after enjoying some sticks matched with these three rums last night I have to say I was very impressed...

2y9ubate.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought I'd chime in here as a rum drinker, a few I saw mentioned are my favs - Zaya, Zacap, and Matuselem,

but I wanted to go back to your original post in mentioning 'cheap' rum and Bacardi -

I am a big fan of Bacardi 8yr also, the price is great and the rum is very drinkable, I dont care for their others much at all,

but always am going thru the 8yr. Give it a try.

another that is good for mixing is Cruzan 'Aged'. Not expensive so one you can afford to consume more often.

But try the Barcadi 8yr.

• 1 month later...

If i had to choose a rum with my cigars and i do choose a pairing of rum with cigars sometimes.. i would firstly choose the

Ron Santiago de Cuba Extra 12. Very good value and beautifully balanced. Probably the best unknown rum going around.I find the Zacapas / Diplomaticos Reserva Exclusiva way too sweet in a sickly kind of way. ... especially if thr bottlees have been open for a while.

The HC Maestros is ok but not as good as the Santiago.

The El Dorado range are all fantstic .. the earthiness does compliment a great D4 me thinks.

The Pussers 15 is excellent.after that id be looking at the Mount *** Extra OLD.. not that there is anything wrong with that.

Appletons 12 is ok but the orange tinge it carries does get out of hand in an open bottle if its not consumed fast

The good thing about rums is the sweetness does enhance the cigar in a good way IMO.. it ipens up the flavours and adds a raisin kind of finish.

If you can find it try the Santiago de Cuba Extra 12 with a cigar... if you like rum cigar pairings, i promise you wont be disappointed .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...