One Bottle of Rum

AbuAmelia

Zaya is my fave, and Eldorado 12 if I'm on a budget and want to get a drink on.

Zaya just went down in price by $20/bottle here which puts it into a regular drinking rotation now.

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Everyone for your input. I picked up these two today. Love the heavy bottle on the Zaya!

Had to get all 3! They are all fabulous!

OK, you bastages! I've never been a fan of rum but after reading this thread, you got me interested! I've never had any of the "good stuff" always the cheap crap, mostly when I was in college. Wen

I'm also a Single Malt guy but after enjoying some sticks matched with these three rums last night I have to say I was very impressed...

2y9ubate.jpg

Anyone who likes the Matusalem gran reserva, I kid you not. You must try Bacardi Solera 1873. It is good and fairly inexpensive at least in most us outlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diplomatico 12 reserva exclusiva....no need for words!

Just bought one myself...

Keen to try it matched with the first Trinidad Robusto T out of the box I have inbound ...

Ill direct you people to the ron santiago de cuba extra 12 AGAIN ;)

uherm

if you havent tried it....... trust me :)

Let me know.......best rum pound for pound ever made i reckon.

Kills the Zacapa and Diplomatico lines.

Aussies youll find it at Dan's. Bargain!

Make sure its the Extra 12 you get.

.. i reckon youll thank me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My go to - I love Havana Club 7 year Añejo... the only down side (for me) is you can't get there from here... I got spoiled when we lived overseas, and it's my "go-to" when out of the country. The 15 is just as good, and if you enjoy your spirits neat or "on the rocks" it is, for the lira, er, euro, the best buy going. A friend brought me back a couple bottles from her recent trip (home) to France, and it was well appreciated!

I've never really hooked on Zacapa. A bit too harsh for my palate. I prefer the Plantation Grande Reserve (Barbados) and Ron Quorhum Solera 23 Years QRM (Dominican Republic). Smooth as silk, served neat or on the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

I always have some Santa Theresa 1796, smooth caramel and spices from Venezuela.

Plantation also has so many great rums from pretty much all over the Caribbean and Central America.

I like the Zacapa but it's not my favorite and have not tried the Zaya yet (can't get it here)avytepeb.jpg

OK, you bastages! I've never been a fan of rum but after reading this thread, you got me interested!

I've never had any of the "good stuff" always the cheap crap, mostly when I was in college. Went to the liquor store yesterday and bought a bottle of Zacapa 23...had a drink after I finished off the Rubus Shiraz last night.

Damn! This stuff is good!

You all do realize that after my wife kills me for all the cigar and alcohol purchases I've made because of everyone on this board, she's coming after you...LOL!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to find but the original Zaya from Guatemala is fantastic with a smoke. Much different from the Trinidad (current) version. Switch made in 2008 so you really have to seek it out.

Same goes for the original Pyrat Planters Gold. You need to find a bottle numbered roughly 150,000 or less. Look for SMS Importers on the back. Completely different than current Patron version. Unfortunately switched around 2008 too.

I picked up a bottle of Zacapa 23 based on this forum. It's my first high-end bottle of rum but it's without a doubt the best rum I've ever tried. I'm going to pick up a bottle of Zaya soon to compare. Either way, I'll be buying Zacapa 23 again. Although I have not tried it, I find it hard to believe the XO is worth the additional price. 23 is awesome!

• 1 month later...

Ill direct you people to the ron santiago de cuba extra 12 AGAIN ;)

uherm

if you havent tried it....... trust me :)

Let me know.......best rum pound for pound ever made i reckon.

Kills the Zacapa and Diplomatico lines.

Aussies youll find it at Dan's. Bargain!

Make sure its the Extra 12 you get.

.. i reckon youll thank me.

What is extra 12? Barrel proof?

I did a taste test of three rums yesterday, Diplomatico reserva exclusiva, Zaccapa 23 and a 12y Plantation Nicaragua.

The Diplomatico was all caramel, with a cloying sweetness and way too smooth, not enough body or spice.

Next up was the Zaccapa, not as sweet as the Dip, but still a little too sweet. Spice was present, more body also, still not my favorite rum, I have had many rums that were better than this one. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good rum, I just find it leans more towards syrup and molasses, than woody cane sugar (which is what I tend to prefer.

Finally the Plantation, plantation has quickly become one of my favorite rums, not as good as the Santa Theresa (my favorite). I like that these rums are aged a second time in oak casks, it gives the rum a woody undertone that compliments the sugar cane, spice and floral aspect. I also enjoy the fact that while being quite smooth, it has more of a spicy profile. Core flavors often remind of Partagas, as it was a perfect companion to the D4 i had after the initial taste test was over. Lit up the Partagas as I poured myself a second glass of the Nic Plantation, great pairing.

As for cuban rums, I enjoy them, but they are pretty much at the bottom of list in terms of flavor and complexity. I think that Cuba has the upper hand with cigars, but some of the other countries have cuban rum beat IMO.

Plantation rums vary a lot depending on the origin. As you describe, Nicaraguan sound reminiscent of Flor de Cana.

You may want to try some agricole rums if you're looking for more complexity and don't mind the wood character.

I am not a fan of woody notes, so I shy away from any spirit that is very woody.

• Like 1

No you can discuss this issue without mentioning the great Cuban reserves, are some of the best which are distilled in the world
Here is an example of the best that the Cuban school can develop, a classic made in the destillery of the city of Santiago de Cuba, and is currently the best product of its brand in the market.

post-21753-0-92126200-1412463505_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I do not really like the sweet rums unless using as a mixer. If you want a great rum on the rocks, try Mount *** 1703. I dream about this stuff. It is priced reasonably for the quality as well. it has some 30 year aged rum in the mix.

All of the El Dorado rums are awesome. If you get the chance you should try them all in a flight. Each of them are so different and you might surprise yourself with your favorite. I actually think the 15 is smoother than the 21 (to each their own)

Zaccapa 23 is pretty good, but the diplomatico is way too sweet for me.

Enjoy the ride. Find some powerfull smokes that can stand up to the rum. For me the sweeter rums ruin the smoking experience. I love a good Bolivar (any) with my Mount *** 1703

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...