One Bottle of Rum

AbuAmelia

Does anyone know whats the difference between the Extra 12 and the normal one for the ron santiago de cuba ? apart from the 12 years thing....

Im not a big drinker, that is to say i really dont normally enjoy drinks neat.... i find them too strong or quite harsh.

So mix them. that being said though, ive never had an exensive drink neat.....i bought the normal one and neat it is harsh/strong, is the 12 alot smoother than the normal one, or the difference is marginal, better, but marginal ?

im just trying to work out if i just dont enjoy spirits neat, or if its just that cheaper ones arent meant to be drank this way...? or should i be having it with ice ?

You ask a good but complicated question. Typically, a longer aged spirit is more enjoyable to drink neat because it has a bit more complexity and depth of flavor. This can translate to a less harsh taste. Also typically a longer aged product is more expensive relative to the younger variety of the same brand. You do have to watch for alcohol content. There are at times that the longer aged, more expensive product also has a higher alcohol content (less diluted) so it will have more depth, but more "fire" too.

This is why the question is complicated. A longer aged product may have the same alcohol content as the younger variety, but be more enjoyable because of the complexity difference. I would recommend adding a single ice cube to a small amount of your younger rum. This may help you to reduce harshness and enjoy the underlying flavors. Unfortunately, I have not been able to experience the Santiago line, so I can not give you an absolute answer to your specific question. I would take a guess that the 12 neat would be smoother than the younger variety. I hope that helps since taste is so subjective.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Everyone for your input. I picked up these two today. Love the heavy bottle on the Zaya!

Had to get all 3! They are all fabulous!

OK, you bastages! I've never been a fan of rum but after reading this thread, you got me interested! I've never had any of the "good stuff" always the cheap crap, mostly when I was in college. Wen

Thanks KBB, i will give it a try with a single ice cube. Im keen to like a drink neat or on ice without a mixer added.

Is there a Rum that definately fits this bill ? ie it is really smooth to drink ? im after something that really doesnt have that....wow that was strong kind of feel when you take a sip, you know, where your mouth and throat down feel on fire! where you just enjoy the flavours without having to feel the really strong bite of the alcohol.

I enjoy a good port and they are smooth to drink, atleast a 10 year plus port is.

Is there a rum or for that matter another spirit that is smooth in the way a port is?

I love port but im trying to find some other drinks i like, that dont need a mixer.

IMHO Zacapa XO it one of the best I have tried. Zaya 12 tr old is better than the Zacapa 23. My daily rum is Goslings black seal black rum. I recently tried to get the Goslings family reserve old rum. This was suggested to me by the person that found me my first bottle of Hardy XO cognac which is my favorite cognac.

IMHO Zacapa XO it one of the best I have tried. Zaya 12 tr old is better than the Zacapa 23. My daily rum is Goslings black seal black rum. I recently tried to get the Goslings family reserve old rum. This was suggested to me by the person that found me my first bottle of Hardy XO cognac which is my favorite cognac.

Agreed, and wonder about the little mentioning of Gosling's here. Great rums. The Familiy Reserve to me is a very nice and complex sipping rum, but - yes, admitted - it is sweet, it is fruity and it is vanillic (my wife loves it, too...). So prob not to everyones liking (and I am not always longing for it, too). The normal Black Seal also is, I can say, sort of our 'daily' rum. Pure as well as for mixing, in particular for a classic Dark'n Stormy of course! Although, the most I use HC7 for mixing (even for a more "fleshy" mojito I prefer the HC7 over the 3 anos).

• 3 weeks later...

Diplomatico Reserva.

or check this site.......

http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/

Glad I ran across your recommendation. I'm looking for another nice rum to try alongside Zaya, Ron Zacapa and their brethren. Sounds like this Diplomatico is in order.