Laphroaig 18 Year Old

ptrthgr8

Saturday night I lit up a nice Monte 520 as the wifey and I were sitting down to watch a movie. I decided to also grab a dram of scotch to go along with the smoke. So, I walked over to the scotch cabinet and saw the various Balvenies (21 Portwood, 15 Single Barrel, 17 Peated, 17 Doublewood, 14 Caribbean), Glenfiddichs (18 and 15), and the one Glenlivet I currently have (the 16 Nadurra)... and then my eyes caught a glimpse of the dark green bottle in the very back. Ah, yes... the Laphroaig 18 year old! I've not had any in over 6 months. I bought the bottle after a suggestion from a friend before I had tried it and my first experience with it was no good - seemed too peaty, too smokey. I really, really, didn't like it.

I decided to give it another go. I'm not sure if it was the combination with the 520, but it was one of the best drams I've had in eons. I was audibly commenting on how good it was after each sip. The peat and smokey notes were still very clear and obvious, but I was also picking up some of the sweeter notes on the finish this time - I don't remember those from the last experience. The 520 was a good smoke, of course, but it didn't seem any better to me than they had been in the past. But for whatever reason that Laphroaig 18 really hit the spot this time around. I'll have to give it another go this weekend.

Anyone else experience something like that? A complete 180 from the last experience? I've had days were one scotch seemed a little better or worse than the last time I had it (i.e. may have suited your mood better the last time), but they've always been pretty much the same. This is the first time where I pretty much hated a scotch the first time I tried it, thought I wasted money on the bottle, and then came back later to really enjoy it and was glad to have it on hand.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Well, the bottle was open for 6 months plus so the Whisky had a chance to oxidize a little bit. I noticed especially with really peaty whisky that they tend to mellow out in the bottle, once opened.

• Like 1

Good to hear you came around to it! I happened to buy a bottle of this whisky today and will sample it tonight. I've moved away from the patient whiskys in recent years but this might be a return to them. Thanks for the review.

Well, the bottle was open for 6 months plus so the Whisky had a chance to oxidize a little bit. I noticed especially with really peaty whisky that they tend to mellow out in the bottle, once opened.

Aha. And as I thought about it more, I bet I've had that bottle for closer to a year. I remember trying it at some point this past summer and was still not impressed with it, so perhaps it just needed some extra time? Weird. I've never noticed that sort of change with any of my other bottles, but most of them don't last nearly as long as this one and, as you mentioned, my others are all Speysides.

Well, dammit. Now I want to go buy a new bottle to see how much difference ~1 year in an open bottle makes. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I have found this also. Majority of the time I find they are better after being opened for a while except for the odd whisky which tastes great and mellow when first opened then becomes harsh and in your face (strong taste) after a couple of months.

• Like 1

Good stuff. I've been avoiding Islays because I wasn't keen on the Laphroaig 18 the first time or two around, but it sounds like it might be worth while to try another Islay and see how it goes. I'm certainly not bored with my Balvenies and so far Speysides are my favorite, but there's nothing wrong with expanding the selection in the scotch cabinet, eh?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I've had a similar experience with a bottle of Macallan 12 Sherry Oak which was a big disappointment at first but after a few months I tried it again and really liked it. Still not sure if it was that first dram from the freshly opened bottle that was really different or if it was just my palate or mood at that time.

You should try Lagavulin 16. It's a gem.

I'll see if the local bottle shop has this when I stop by this evening. :)

The local shop did indeed have the Lagavulin 16. ($87US, not sure if that's a good price or not.)

Will open the bottle later this evening and will report back once I've sampled it. Thanks for the suggestion, guys!

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Tried a dram of the Lagavulin 16 last night with an H. Upmann Royal Robusto. The initial flavor of the Lagavulin really reminded me quite a bit of the Laphroaig 18 - major peat and smoke at the forefront. I did notice a little more sweeter/honey flavors on the finish, though. I'm not a big fan of the heavy peat/smoke, but perhaps this one will mellow out a bit more with age, too. But I did like it more initially than I did the Laphroaig 18 when I first brought that particular bottle home.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

~ Greg ~

I don't mind a peat flavor (I really like the Balvenie 17 yo Peated Cask), but I'm not a big fan of a heavy peat flavor like the Laphroaig 18 and the Lagavulin 16. I really like the Laphroaig 18 now that it's mellowed a bit. For me the Lagavulin 16 was a couple of notches less peaty than the Laphroaig, so I think it may be something that mellows quicker for me. Either way I still like both. Much better than a rot gut of some sort. LOL So it's great to have some variety in the ol' scotch cabinet.

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

• 1 month later...

It really is a benchmark In "Peaty goodness".

Have been enjoying the Ardbeg Galileo also...

I wasn't a big fan when I first tried it but with a Siglo VI, it's epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the lagavulin 16 to try something different. Didn't think I would love it (mac12 sherry been my goto), but I must say I really liked it upon first try. Great overall balance and was awesome with a Connie A.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure I can buy cheap bourbon after having Laphroig. Beautiful single malt scotch.