Crocodile Bay, Costa Rica

dafrey23

Just got back from a 5 day trip to Costa Rica which included 3 days of fishing at Crocodile Bay Resort near Puerto Jimenez. They specialize in sailfish and roosterfish in this area, but marlin, tuna, dorado, and lots of other fish are found. I'm a pretty bad fisherman, but I found my way into a sailfish, a dorado, and a grouper while I was there. The 100-ish pound sailfish was a nice 10 minute fight, but the dorado I caught was the biggest challenge. Took 20-25 minutes to get that 40-50 pound bugger in the boat. The thing was a fight.

Anyone looking for some good deep sea fishing where you're just about guaranteed to catch some monster fish, head down there. If I can catch this stuff, anyone can.

post-17362-0-64689900-1391104522_thumb.j

post-17362-0-54710200-1391104523_thumb.j

Nice the water looks beautiful.. we call dorado dolphin fish here because they taste just like dolphin.............not really , I am not sure why we call them dolphin fish also Mahi mahi ,,however they taste great and are an awesome fighting fish. Well done

Nice the water looks beautiful.. we call dorado dolphin fish here because they taste just like dolphin.............not really , I am not sure why we call them dolphin fish also Mahi mahi ,,however they taste great and are an awesome fighting fish. Well done

The dorado down there is called all kinds of things. It was a challenge at first because I had to realize that we were all talking about the same fish. Some people called them dolphin fish, some mahi mahi, but the consensus landed more on dorado. They are a great fight, and they're beautiful fish. It was interesting watching the colors of the fish changed as it laid in the boat. At one point it was 100% white. Wish I took a picture of that, but it would have been a pretty gruesome photo.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from a 5 day trip to Costa Rica which included 3 days of fishing at Crocodile Bay Resort near Puerto Jimenez. They specialize in sailfish and roosterfish in this area, but marlin, tuna, dorado, and lots of other fish are found. I'm a pretty bad fisherman, but I found my way into a sailfish, a dorado, and a grouper while I was there. The 100-ish pound sailfish was a nice 10 minute fight, but the dorado I caught was the biggest challenge. Took 20-25 minutes to get that 40-50 pound bugger in the boat. The thing was a fight.

Anyone looking for some good deep sea fishing where you're just about guaranteed to catch some monster fish, head down there. If I can catch this stuff, anyone can.Great Dorado. I've caught many, but none that big. Nice fish. Really good eating too

attachicon.gifIMG_5947.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5989.JPG