superbowl

Discussion today on NY sports talk all about Peyton,s legacy.Lotta negativity for the guy some say is one of the best QB,s ever.His record in the playoffs is now 11wins and 12 losses.No doubt, he looked old and played terribly in Super Bowl 48 but the whole team stunk.Their defense could not stop Russell Wilson and the offense seemed out of it and intimidated by Seattle,s quick,aggressive play.I think Manning,s legacy should take a hit as a result of his negative play but it wasn't all on him.That was a team effort.

While I would agree with the statement that they were just not prepared in any way possible, Don't forget this Broncos team was missing 5 starters on Defense and the offense was missing 2 key linemen. The center that tossed the ball over manning's head on the first play was the Broncos 3rd string guy in the preseason. If they had been as healthy as the Seahawks MAYBE they would've made a game out of it. The momentum swung to Seattle from the very first play of the game and had the Broncos had those key 5 defensive guys, maybe they could've put pressure on the Sehawks offense to swing that momentum. That didn't happen and the Broncos offense never found their stride. Also keep in mind that Seattle was 100% healthy for the first time all season getting many key guys like Percy back in time for the big bowl. Now in no way should this detract from what the Seahawks did as a team. They showed up and put in the effort for 60 full minutes and for that I congratulate them and their team for winning their first superbowl with one of the youngest teams in the league!

In any event, the season fro my Broncos was still a success. Consider 3 years ago after Mcdaniels screwed the draft up for us and gave us Tebow at QB, the team was in shambles. Now we played in the superbowl and know what our weaknesses are. Going into the off season, you can bet your shorts Elway will fill those holes and we will get many of the injured players back to full health. With any luck we will be back next year to kick the NFC's ass!

In addition, it is WAY too early to discuss Peyton's legacy while the man is still playing football. If he goes on to win a superbowl or two in his remaining years (its possible given how this Broncos team is built for success right now) that conversation will change completely. Remember Elway? He lost his first 3 superbowls and was 0-3 before he won 2 straight in his last two seasons. In addition two of those losses were some of the worst EVER losses in a superbowl. #22 he lost 42-10 and #24 he lost 55-10. Elway with those two wins at the end of his career is considered one of the all time greats. If however Peyton goes on to retire and never wins another superbowl will it tarnish his legacy a bit? Yes, he will still be considered one of the best QBs ever, but he may not be in the conversation for greatest. Just don't count your chickens yet! We will be back in the superbowl next year!! Go Broncos!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Half time can't come soon enough for the Broncos

I wonder how Floyd Mayweather is feeling after reportedly dropping $10 Million on the Broncos to win!!!

I'm hiding my face in shame after that loss Beard by REASON29, on Flickr

How much of the Broncos meltdown do you put on Peyton Manning?

They were beaten in every aspect of the game. His offensive line got manhandled, and the Seahawks secondary took away his targets. Also, once they got down early, they had to abandon their running game. The D-line could tee off in a pass rush stance and blitz at will. Even when they tried to slow the rush down with those awful looking screen passes, they got massacred. The Hawks obviously were paying attention when they were watching game film.

I don't think there has ever been a quarterback who can read/pick apart a defence like Peyton Manning. This game was an embarassment for sure, but shouldn't define his career. It was entirely a team loss.

Remember when everyone said John Elway couldn't win a big game? Peyton may have more to show.

How much of the Broncos meltdown do you put on Peyton Manning?

They were beaten in every aspect of the game. His offensive line got manhandled, and the Seahawks secondary took away his targets. Also, once they got down early, they had to abandon their running game. The D-line could tee off in a pass rush stance and blitz at will. Even when they tried to slow the rush down with those awful looking screen passes, they got massacred. The Hawks obviously were paying attention when they were watching game film.

I don't think there has ever been a quarterback who can read/pick apart a defence like Peyton Manning. This game was an embarassment for sure, but shouldn't define his career. It was entirely a team loss.

Remember when everyone said John Elway couldn't win a big game? Peyton may have more to show.

Since he is only one man on a 22 starting person team and over 50 players in all, I don't blame him more than a tad. Did he share in this loss? Of course...and perhaps more than other players since he is the "general" of the team. But the bottom line is no one showed up. The players were unprepared and the coaching was deadful as well. Its almost as if they had a goal to get to the superbowl and anything else is gravy. They sure didn't seem to care about winning it. Now I will say that Peyton looked to be pressing things a bit after his first pick. But lets be honest, if the O-line protects him better does he throw that pick? Prob not. In addition if the defense could've challenged Wilson at all, they could've given Manning more time on the field to do what he does. The broncos were driving the ball and doing it at a decent clip for at least a couple drives in the first half. If they could've scored on 2 of those first 3 and had 10 points by halftime, then its a 22-10 game or maybe 15-10. But by the time they were down 29 in the third quarter, they all but gave up hope.

Well, if you want to play the what-if game smile.png ... how about in the first quarter? Those two FGs by Seattle could easily have been touchdowns instead, which would have made it 16-0 after the first 15 mins. But the Denver D did a great job of digging in and keeping Seattle out of the end zone.

And the Seattle D was so good it didn't need to blitz all that much. They mainly went with 3 pass rushers and that's all they needed. Manning isn't mobile, but he usually has targets to hit because the other team always wants to blitz. If some of your linemen aren't pass rushing, that means they're out there making it harder for the QB to see some of those would-be targets. Here's a pretty good summary of how Seattle managed to dismantle the #1 offense:

http://online.wsj.co...361111580572276

It's really easy to look at all of Denver's problems and conclude that it could have gone much better for them if only this, that, or the other had worked out differently. But it's equally as easy to look at the things Seattle didn't do as well, especially earlier in the game, and conclude that it could have been much, much, much worse for Denver. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Well, if you want to play the what-if game smile.png ... how about in the first quarter? Those two FGs by Seattle could easily have been touchdowns instead, which would have made it 16-0 after the first 15 mins. But the Denver D did a great job of digging in and keeping Seattle out of the end zone.

And the Seattle D was so good it didn't need to blitz all that much. They mainly went with 3 pass rushers and that's all they needed. Manning isn't mobile, but he usually has targets to hit because the other team always wants to blitz. If some of your linemen aren't pass rushing, that means they're out there making it harder for the QB to see some of those would-be targets. Here's a pretty good summary of how Seattle managed to dismantle the #1 offense:

http://online.wsj.co...361111580572276

It's really easy to look at all of Denver's problems and conclude that it could have gone much better for them if only this, that, or the other had worked out differently. But it's equally as easy to look at the things Seattle didn't do as well, especially earlier in the game, and conclude that it could have been much, much, much worse for Denver. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I'm not sitting here playing the what if game at all! I gave props to Seattle for a well deserved win and stated that none of my comments are meant to detract from what they did for 60 mins. All I am stating is after a couple of bad breaks by Denver, they basically gave up instead of showing some championship spirit. Even if they had been 100% healthy like the hawks were, I am pretty sure the game would've ended with the same result. But I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been near as bad. Let's be honest seattle played a near perfect game, so that is the best they could've done. Denver played a terrible game for many many reasons, but with 7-8 of their starters and arguably their best players back would the game have been a better game to watch? YES!

I'm not sitting here playing the what if game at all! I gave props to Seattle for a well deserved win and stated that none of my comments are meant to detract from what they did for 60 mins.

I know, man. I was just ribbin' ya a bit. That's what the smiley face was for. smile.png

Watching the parade streaming live right now... wish I could be back in my hometown for this one. I was at the Sonics parade when they won back in 1979, but I was too little to really remember any of it. And this Seahawks parade will undoubtedly dwarf the one we had for the Sonics.

So proud of my hometown boys. The done good!

~ Greg ~

I know, man. I was just ribbin' ya a bit. That's what the smiley face was for. smile.png

Watching the parade streaming live right now... wish I could be back in my hometown for this one. I was at the Sonics parade when they won back in 1979, but I was too little to really remember any of it. And this Seahawks parade will undoubtedly dwarf the one we had for the Sonics.

~ Greg ~

I'm watching the parade as well....I opted to not go so I could let me staff go. I'm holding down the fort. They just estimated that the crowd is near 1,000,000. Wow.

A million people ! There are so many fans in the streets the trucks can barely make it down 4th ave. Marshawn Lynch is sitting on the hood of the first vehicle with a big cigar sticking out of his hoodie, throwing skittles to the crowd. Wife is at the stadium, doubt I'll see her until tomorrow....

~ Greg ~

And I only showed up in this thread to accept said ribbin! My team got destroyed and it was tough for the first day...monday for me was Black monday lol. I was grumpy, angry, and sad. But once I got over it, I decided I better pay a visit to the thread and be a good sport about it. I'm still happy for you guys and I'm glad it wasn't the Patriots or some other lame team that won this years bowl lolpeace.gif