FOH lighter roundup!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr. Bond and I are heading out to a wedding today!

Favorite lighter!

More arrival... And another Ligne 1 small is on the way.

TSA just stole both of my Torches. I'm beyond pissed. There answer was simple when I called, she read me something over the phone that sounded like this. No torch lighters on planes.

And airlines wonder why no one wants to travel with them anymore. Wish they were like they used to. Pay good money and they pamper you all the way. Anymore we are just cargo and treat us worse than our bags.

smoking.jpg

• Like 1

TSA just stole both of my Torches. I'm beyond pissed. There answer was simple when I called, she read me something over the phone that sounded like this. No torch lighters on planes.

I've learned the same painful lesson. That's why the Soto is a good alternative - no fuel and it comes apart into two pieces so it doesn't even look like a lighter. I keep it in my carry-on. Worst-case it's only $20 down the drain.

• Like 1

I got away with hiding a torch in my tools when I fly to jobs for years. Finally I ended up with me at my destination and my bags in perth as they saw it on X-ray and refused to load them. Now I've worked out how to position things in my carry on so that they present a innocuous profile on the scanner. Turns out security is not so secure :D

u8enapum.jpg

Z plus insert arrived. Good seller on eBay, took only two days to arrive :)

y7evuhu7.jpg

Looks good. Fits well. Not a huge capacity but we'll see how it lasts

Edit: just used to light a HdM grand Epi. Is good.

On a related note, the zippo shell used is apparently the 500,000,837th zippo produced

• Like 2

Interesting what TSA says about lighters. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Common Lighters: Carry-on?Yes Checked?NO

Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

Torch Lighters

Torch Lighters: Carry-on? NO Checked?NO

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned.

So even for standard butane lighters they need to be contained in a DOT approved travel case if they have fuel in them. This is the only one I could find. http://www.lightersdirect.com/Lighter+Travel+Case.550/Lighter+Travel+Case+Black.10526.html?gclid=COa05e3t2LwCFQ1o7AodZBgAeg

dupont xtend is my favorite

re: carry on, you can carry bics in carry on but not checked luggage, no brainer to me

also everyone I know gets away with torches in their luggage and my buddy I met while in hawaii was carrying a huge can of butane which is a big no no, we were herfing and ran out of gas and he goes oh no stress i'll just fill it up and i was in awe that he had traveled with a can and nobody caught it LOL!!

ps. how do you go to the last unread post? can't figure out what to click

thanks cq but that just takes me to the last post, i'm trying to get to the last unread of mine where i left off so i dont have to click the time thing and then scroll up once i get there to figure out where i left off, kind of annoying it doesn't just take me to where i left off

Any soft flame preferred. Soft flame for indoors, torch for outside. I'm not that particular about lighters but I like the twin torch Xikar I have. Looks good, works well, has a good weight and heft, feels good in my hand. Just wish they made it in a soft flame version.

Dan

there used to be these little squares to the left of the thread titles and they would do exactly that but they disappeared! :cigar:

Try using the mobile site

When I view a thread on my phone it takes me to the last post I viewed. Great for some of the high traffic discussions

Nice idea, but capacity us an issue. It's just a rechargeable version of the cigarette lighters that used to come in cars. It will get dirty and tend to smell a little in the pocket. Also, how the heck do you perform touch ups with a contact lighter... easily?

For everyday use, and traveling, I'll stick with my 3 dollar torches that I bought online. They perform as well as any other torch. The thing to remember is that all torches will eventually fail, and many get lost along the way. I'd rather lose or throw away a cheapie, than a 100 dollar one. It's nice to keep a torch in the car, work van, luggage, patio, etc.

My palladium DuPont hardly gets used anymore. After my friend dropped it on a concrete floor... I failed to see the practicality in having a high dollar lighter. I use a lighter for lighting, not for show these days.