The cutting question

I couldn't see how I could do a poll so I will just ask.

What is everyone's favorite method of cutting your cigars? Pros and cons?

I find myself almost never using a straight cut (cheap one died and I haven't replaced it yet).

I use either a 9mm Xikar punch or a Xikar V cut for parejos and a v cut for figurados. Am I missing out on anything?

Does anyone eschew these new fangled tools and use a guillotine exclusively?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shuto-uchi (karate shop) for me. AÏÏÏÏEEEE!

I have used the guillotine exclusively for about 4 or 5 years now. My only exception are cigars which I know have a loose draw. I'll use a punch for those to tighten the draw up a bit. I don't like th

Pretty much exclusively punch. Not a fan of guillotine anymore...seem to have just moved away from it. E

I too am gravitating more to the V cut as well as a punch. The Xikar V cutter works fantastic. I still need to grab either the 9mm or 11mm punch.

I have used the guillotine exclusively for about 4 or 5 years now. My only exception are cigars which I know have a loose draw. I'll use a punch for those to tighten the draw up a bit. I don't like the buildup of nicotine I get on the edges of the cut with a V cut. I just feel like a straight guillotine gives me the right experience.

Ultimately though, it's what you feel most comfortable with.

• Like 2

I've had my trusty zino double blade guillotine cutter for almost 20 years now but recently with the larger ring gauge cigars I've considered getting a punch.... Back in 1995 when I purchased my zino, the largest ring gauge it came in was 52, so you can understand the frustration I have when trying to cut a monte 520.....

Just bought a Palio cutter after reading great things about them on here. Normally use a punch cutter on parejos, but if the draw is a bit tight, you can loosen it up a bit with a straight cut. Also, a straight cut can improve bitterness if you've started with a punch cut.

Mostly punch but when I forget it on a trip I'll just pick up a cheap double guillotine made of good 'ol Saigon street steel and sharp as mess! Makes you scared to put it in your pants, if you know what I mean . . . surprised.gif

I rarely find that the punch does or doesn't make a difference on draw. On those times when I get a plugged or tight stick it always seems that the problem is somewhere well upstream of the cap.

I might try out that diagonal cut next time I'm in torpedo land.

This is probably the only reason I will get another guillotine. See if it has an effect.

I really find almost no draw difference between punch or straight cut. If it's tight it's tight regardless. I am using the larger punch size however.

I use a V cutter for Piramides and Torpedo types and only a punch for punchable cigars. All I used in the past was a guillotine cutter and I decided to try different cuts. Why did I switch???? I have no idea!!!!

Straight cut almost exclusively... Punch only occasionally.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk