The cutting question

This is probably the only reason I will get another guillotine. See if it has an effect.

I really find almost no draw difference between punch or straight cut. If it's tight it's tight regardless. I am using the larger punch size however.

I've been using different cutters for the opposite, in case of random wind tunnels. If something feels under filled I start with a small punch, sometimes that constricts the draw enough to get an enjoyable smoke. If I need more air flow ill move up to medium, large punches then finally guillotine depending on how the draw opens up

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shuto-uchi (karate shop) for me. AÏÏÏÏEEEE!

I have used the guillotine exclusively for about 4 or 5 years now. My only exception are cigars which I know have a loose draw. I'll use a punch for those to tighten the draw up a bit. I don't like th

Pretty much exclusively punch. Not a fan of guillotine anymore...seem to have just moved away from it. E

I started off using a punch but have moved to a straight cut over the last few years

dont mind a V-Cut but i find i get the best results from table top V-cutters.

I need to buy a nice table top cutter for my lounge, then I'll prob use the V-Cut more

I started off using a punch but have moved to a straight cut over the last few years

dont mind a V-Cut but i find i get the best results from table top V-cutters.

I need to buy a nice table top cutter for my lounge, then I'll prob use the V-Cut more

Those stainless steel table top quad cutters have two v cutters on them :)

Mostly punch but when I forget it on a trip I'll just pick up a cheap double guillotine made of good 'ol Saigon street steel and sharp as mess! Makes you scared to put it in your pants, if you know what I mean . . . surprised.gif

Papa, I don't know what "ring gauge" you're sporting around with in your pants, but none of my guillotine cutters are of a large enough ring gauge to worry me. looking.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

• 3 months later...

Learn something new every day - I never though to even try the v cut on pyramids until I read so many responses in this thread - they are the only ones I use a regular blade cutter on.

Current prefer a punch (Xikar).

Would like to get my hands on one of these:

c-442.jpg

kinda hard to get that in your pocket,though........

Palio is my choice,cannot estimate how many cigars it has cut so far and still a brilliant cut every time........

Xikar Soft Flame and Table Top triple-burner are my faves.

Methinks this one belongs in the lighter thread.....

For me 90% guillotine (Xikar/Palio), triple-punch used on occasion. Sometimes a penknife, scissors, fingernail or teeth. Rarely if ever a V-cut

I must say, I got a plain black Palio recently and I'm very pleased with it. The right technique with just a little downward pressure as you cut and it leaves a really nice flat end on the cigar. Using that and a 9mm xicar punch for parajeo and a xicar v cutter for piramides.

I almost always use my Xikar XI3 its a great cutter, never tears on me. I drop a small drop of oil on the locking mechanism every few months.

Can any of you guys suggest a 9mm - 11m punch?

I almost always use my Xikar XI3 its a great cutter, never tears on me. I drop a small drop of oil on the locking mechanism every few months.

Can any of you guys suggest a 9mm - 11m punch?

I like the Xicar 009 9mm punch. If you have access to any spent rounds of ammo, they make pretty good punches

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Xicar 009 9mm punch. If you have access to any spent rounds of ammo, they make pretty good punches

Do you need to sharpen the edges somehow, or do they work right out of the gun? I'm not a gun guy, so I'm not sure how sharp the edges of the spent cartridges are. Are they sharp enough?

Do you need to sharpen the edges somehow, or do they work right out of the gun? I'm not a gun guy, so I'm not sure how sharp the edges of the spent cartridges are. Are they sharp enough?

Not very sharp. You could use a file/dremel/whetstone to get a better edge on the cartridge. I mean, the blunter the edge the higher your chances of cracking the cap

I have experimented with punch cuts but have gone the straight guillotine way. I use a Cuban Crafters and love it! Always the right amount cut, even when a bit tipsy...

You don't find the guillotine squeezes the cigar first and lends itself to more cracked wrappers? Have you tried a double?