Aristocrat Help Question

Laxman

Have to say Bob has been very helpful and his customer service is top notch. He changed out the sensor and he sent me 3 fans for free that were idiot proof as far as hooking up. Got the top three shelves pretty close to 65 temp and 64 RH but the bottom shelf is running around 70 RH. Strange as I put 3 lbs of 65% beads on that shelf and have a fan blowing from back to front and another blow air from the bottom of the Humi to the top.

Currently tossed in an odorless damprid bucket to see if I can suck out some humidity on that bottom level. If I do not see a change in the next day or so will call Bob and continue to work and getting it in line with the rest of the set up.

I have one of the big aristocrats and I find that there is typically a 6% difference from the unit up top to a hydrometer placed on the bottom shelf. As I usually keep the unit as 64%, the bottom is usually at 70%. Occasionally I allow this to bother me as I am concerned about tobacco beetles, etc so I will be interested in Bob's thoughts. Thank you Mr. Piggy for your insights, as always.

Do your cigars on top smoke or burn different than the ones in the bottom?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm real close to ordering an Aristocrat M, but after reading this thread, I'm having some second thoughts. I'm guessing this problem is common to all larger humidors, and I need a larger humidor. So, do I go ahead and pull the trigger on this order, and just deal with the issue of uneven humidification?

I'm real close to ordering an Aristocrat M, but after reading this thread, I'm having some second thoughts. I'm guessing this problem is common to all larger humidors, and I need a larger humidor. So, do I go ahead and pull the trigger on this order, and just deal with the issue of uneven humidification?

It's only a 2-3% spread, I'd hardly call that an issue. BTW I also own an Aristocrat and it's the best purchase of my cigar life. I keep my humidor at a 68% set point. It holds 66 on top and 68 on the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It's only a 2-3% spread, I'd hardly call that an issue. BTW I also own an Aristocrat and it's the best purchase of my cigar life. I keep my humidor at a 68% set point. It holds 66 on top and 68 on the bottom.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2% to maybe 3% difference I could live with, but his was more like 5% or more difference. That makes a lot of difference, imho, in how a cigar ages and smokes.

If I'm going to spend $2500 on a humidor, I want it to work like it should. If not, I'll spend less and get the same results. That was my point.

• Like 1

2% to maybe 3% difference I could live with, but his was more like 5% or more difference. That makes a lot of difference, imho, in how a cigar ages and smokes.

If I'm going to spend $2500 on a humidor, I want it to work like it should. If not, I'll spend less and get the same results. That was my point.

Everyone deals in and settles for some amount of precision and accuracy. There is no perfect humidor, and being the builder of ones that have proven precision, I think I can talk freely on the topic!

I have posted some charts around here somewhere giving you some indication of what effects rH AND temperature have on cigars. Meaning, what the differences in temperature and rH actually do to the tobacco, not some esoteric and meaningless speculation on what it does to 'aging potential.'

You are the one who is the steward of and smoking your cigars. No one should be defining what is best for you!!!

I am not going to tackle the subject of accuracy… That is a cluster **ck and a pretty big pitfall that we can all debate about and never really prove. Not, without 5 figure test equipment anyway!

But consistency, well that is easier to prove, but certainly not that easy to obtain. Again, I think I am an authority on the subject but that is for you to decide as well. Now if you keep your macro climate very stable, then the process is easy. The point always is, do you have the space, budget and income to support this well controlled macro environment?

I have chosen the path of controlling the micro climate instead. This is the more common path, one known to anyone that owns a humidor. The subset of automated controlled humidors makes the subset even smaller. Many people build them. Some do a better job than others. Not all motivating factors are the same and therefore the prices and the features are not the same!

I think it should be a given that atmospheric conditions are always in a state of change. The change itself is not really the problem. The problems come from the length, duration, rate and amplitude of changes. They come from the consistency of the environment, both as it pertains to amplitude and duration. Cycles in environment are here to stay. The question then becomes; what can you do about affecting them?

The next question is, are you better off with the purchase of a new humidor (forget who makes it for a moment) or are you not? Are your cigars stored within an envelope of +- 2.5 rH now? How about temperature?

When you go about thinking that 3 to 5 rH does not matter, think again! 3 to 5 rH can move the component weight of water in your cigar by 10 percent! That is huge when it comes to taste (my opinion, if you believe in such things). It is a matter of whether you are a believer in theories about water content and taste and if you have tastes defined by that belief. I am one such believer. Not all of us are…

Regardless of beliefs, whether is taste, aging theories or other factors, each will choose his own solution based on wants and personal opinion (not necessarily taste in cigars). I would have to say, if you are happy with how your cigars are stored why change? Change then comes as a matter of need or want. Do you only need more space and if you create a space similar to what you have now does that satisfy you? If not, why not?

I tend to be the only guy around that is solving high rH problems, largely from the southern US. My customers tend to come largely from that pool. Heat and high rH are more or less my specialty… however I think consistency is also a large component of why people call on me. I tell everyone, consistency is not best achieved by the controlled humidor but best controlled by the combination of macro climate control along with micro climate control. Again, what you have to start with, your macro environment, along with what you can afford will dictate what you will end up with.

Even aesthetics play a role. A rather large role I might add.

I advise people to assets their macro environment and their budget first. I mean these really are the controlling factors for most people. On the other hand many folks just write a check based on the size and how it looks…! It all boils down to what you want and why you want it… There is no right or wrong answer. There is only what you want, why you want it, and if you can afford it.

We all settle somewhere… You just have to determine what factors are the most important to you, decide on a budget and pursue your goal.

I have an eye on perfection. Not that I am getting it mind you! But we all have a perception of what that is; perfection. What we can see is a huge part of it. I specialize in witnessing consistency.

Now that I am done with this… I am going to get on the phone and give a reaming to my data logging partner… It would appear that I have to debug their products as well as my own!!! In my role of striving for perfection, I have found that even the people selling me my test equipment don't really meet my standards!

Cheers, -Piggy

• Like 2

Piggy, all good points. My macro environment is a central heated and cooled house on the Gulf Coast of Alabama. The temp inside our house is almost a constant 70-72 degrees in the summer and around 68 degrees in the winter. Humidity levels in the house are an almost constant 55%. Accordingly, I think that's why my tupperdore and my desk top humidors are easily maintained at 65% rh with littlle effort. Would you agree?

Piggy, all good points. My macro environment is a central heated and cooled house on the Gulf Coast of Alabama. The temp inside our house is almost a constant 70-72 degrees in the summer and around 68 degrees in the winter. Humidity levels in the house are an almost constant 55%. Accordingly, I think that's why my tupperdore and my desk top humidors are easily maintained at 65% rh with littlle effort. Would you agree?

Mate, it is what pleases you not me!

I got to the point that I was peering into humidors all over the house, sometimes a few times a day in order to keep track of cigars. It drove me nuts… I am nuts, by the way!!!

I live in a wildly unstable environment. I want my cigars pampered but don't like to do the pampering myself. Automaton was my only answer and no one was building (not to my specifications nor price point) what I wanted. I therefore created my own solutions.

The bottom line is, are you happy? That is all that matters.

Based on your reply you have an ambient for a predictable 'driven' humidor. You can accomplish that via your own means, or by a single axis, driven, automated humidor. Bob builds nice humidors for this environment. Not that I want to influence you to buy one, but if you are looking for single axis automation in a nice furniture package, he is the goto guy to get one. I own one myself.

My approach is a bit different. I believe that I require a fully automated and 4 axis controlled humidor. My tastes demand it and with the cost of energy, it is an economical option for me. I am the only guy that I know of making this type of solution a reality. Not everyone needs nor wants a solution that I can provide. You for example, you would not likely see a benefit from one of my systems based on the stability of your home environment.

As it turns out, I often encourage about 80% of the people that I talk to into different solutions. I mean simple and inexpensive are driving forces for me. A lot of people are often looking for a second opinion just to say what they are doing is okay. While I am certainly not the final arbiter of all things cigar storage, a lot of people just want to know that what they are doing is not going to ruin their stock. If i can provide that kind of answer, I am happy to do so!

This type of answer is why I opine her. It is a fringe benefit of participation here as I don't post on any other public forums. Forums are a great place for information but unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation being pumped out all over the internet, cigars or otherwise.

Cheers -Ray

• 2 months later...

I agree especially as it was double that price lol. I got it down to 2% from top to bottom now. Thought it is starting to creep up a some days as the humidity and heat in Florida is insane this time of year. Added a bunch of fans and some beads and it seems to have stabilized out. Or as Piggy says what I see it has been stable.

Only problem I have seen so far is the humidifier canisters (has two one bottom left and one bottom right that also catches the condensation from the coolers), the one on the left usually lasted close to a month before refilling but now due to the high temp and RH outside seems to run out in under a week. The right one twice in the last month has almost over flowed as the four cooling systems seems to be working overtime due to the heat. I moved my AC down to a constant 74% to try and combat it.

I agree especially as it was double that price lol. I got it down to 2% from top to bottom now. Thought it is starting to creep up a some days as the humidity and heat in Florida is insane this time of year. Added a bunch of fans and some beads and it seems to have stabilized out. Or as Piggy says what I see it has been stable.

Only problem I have seen so far is the humidifier canisters (has two one bottom left and one bottom right that also catches the condensation from the coolers), the one on the left usually lasted close to a month before refilling but now due to the high temp and RH outside seems to run out in under a week. The right one twice in the last month has almost over flowed as the four cooling systems seems to be working overtime due to the heat. I moved my AC down to a constant 74% to try and combat it.

What is more annoying is the thing is jam packed and I have almost filled back up all my winedors lol. Guess I should have gone with the 7ft 48 inch wide 30 inch deep unit!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading this thread. I would guess at one time we all have some sort of issues with the temp / humidity etc. I also have an Aristocrat. Temps due flux at times but I consider that normal depending on the season and the % of space that I have open (very very little). I judge everything by the way my cigars are smoking and hardly pay attention to anything else.

• 1 month later...

My aristocrat end table is registering 70 rh on the top shelf, 64-65 at the set and forget sensor and 63 on the bottom.

It's temperature controlled almost always around 65-66f. Home is central air kept at 74 summer 69-70 winter, current rh in the house is 55RH.

ANY IDEAS? How can I resolve the huge swing? I. Pretty maxed out on space, contemplating removing the second singles drawer to gain another 2.8" of heights for my Tetris game.

My aristocrat end table is registering 70 rh on the top shelf, 64-65 at the set and forget sensor and 63 on the bottom.

It's temperature controlled almost always around 65-66f. Home is central air kept at 74 summer 69-70 winter, current rh in the house is 55RH.

ANY IDEAS? How can I resolve the huge swing? I. Pretty maxed out on space, contemplating removing the second singles drawer to gain another 2.8" of heights for my Tetris game.

Cooled humidors, should be able to handle 24/7 circulation (the heat generated from). As long as it is cooled and the heat from fan operation does not interfere with the cooling, and you place the fan and the sensor separate from each other, and not directly on the cooling unit you should be okay.

I can custom construct a ducted fan system for you, even put is on a timer for you. I cannot guarantee that is the best approach or the best use of your money! The point is that my design might be the best and rationalize the cost, and then again it might not! You have to balance your time and your willingness to experiment to find a solution. You have a stratification problem and the solution is to move the water (vapor) and heat around in your humidor!

Hope that helps!

Piggy

Cooled humidors, should be able to handle 24/7 circulation (the heat generated from). As long as it is cooled and the heat from fan operation does not interfere with the cooling, and you place the fan and the sensor separate from each other, and not directly on the cooling unit you should be okay.

I can custom construct a ducted fan system for you, even put is on a timer for you. I cannot guarantee that is the best approach or the best use of your money! The point is that my design might be the best and rationalize the cost, and then again it might not! You have to balance your time and your willingness to experiment to find a solution. You have a stratification problem and the solution is to move the water (vapor) and heat around in your humidor!

Hope that helps!

Piggy

So basically guess and check. Lol