2013 RASS - What was bad?

I am currently working through a couple boxes of 2013 RASS. I remember reading it was not a good year for RASS, but not the reason why. All of the examples I have smoked have been perfect draw and construction, but to me the taste was off. They almost seem stale. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I'm getting sick and my taste buds are off who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think some mistaken a bad tasting cigar young that has no flavor due that it has not aged . Sometimes it just comes down to it not being blended right from the get go as this is a handmade product.

I purchased a box of rass, in 2011 with a Apr 2010 box date. Smoking one back in 2011 was the worst decision I made, it was horribly young. I just revisited the exact box last month with a night and d

Smoking one from 13 and yes it' has classic RA flavor !! It's like I was smoking a 3 + yr RASS just amazing ! And by judging by the specimen I am smoking they have aging potential ... But to me t

I got one as part of a sample i bought from here and it was amazing, I'm still a year into being new but it was outstanding compared to some others I've had and it was a 2013 RASS. I could have been lucky and got a good one

Rob said that, in general, the 50 ct. cabs were on and the 25 ct. dress boxes were off. I got two dress boxes this year: one is ALT ABR-13, which have smoked tannin-y and young, and one MUR JUN-13, which look and smell great. I might sample the latter box this summer.

I never heard that 2013 was bad for the RASS, just that construction quality was a little off and on in the dress boxes and that the 50 Cabs were generally better overall. I had a regular dress box, an HQ dress box, and split a 50 cab of hq with some friends with 2013 codes. The differences are very noticeable, but even my regular dress box smoked decent. Quality picks were definitely better, but none were stale.

Sent from my mind using telekinesis and Tapatalk.

With only a year on them I wouldn't expect much.

RASS have a good rep for being young and I have had good examples of this. The ones I have right now just seem off. They were a 25 box as well

Maybe my palate is just off for some reason but the ones I've had lately have seemed stale. I had a BPC last night that was packed full of goodness though which is the usual experience for me

As a general rule I don't smoke RASS within a year or two of the box code. Sometimes longer. I have a TEB Oct 07 box that is awesome now and then I just grabbed a MUR JUL 13 that is resting for a long long nap. Doubt I'll crack it again for at least 3-5 years.

I can't stand rass with less than 4 years on them. Harsh, shallow in flavor, bitter. With 4 + years they really start to shine.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Always had flavor fresh to me ?

I have experienced some real turds from 2013 RASS from a blind box. One had a weird meat and burning rubber flavor that made me sick to my stomach and dripped tar from the head. Smoking one from a hand picked box as we speak and it is dense stone fruit and toasted bread so far. Very enjoyable. Nicely constructed. Have to say that I wont be buying these blind any time in the near future. I know JHands and we are smoking from the same boxes. The ones I have hated I wouldnt say were stale just poorly blended.

I think some mistaken a bad tasting cigar young that has no flavor due that it has not aged .

Sometimes it just comes down to it not being blended right from the get go as this is a handmade product.

A cigar must have good flavor young to even judge if it will have any potential aged .

Most will not go out and buy boxes of cigars if they don't taste good out of the box as most cigar smokers do not age cigars like some of us.

• Like 2

I purchased a box of rass, in 2011 with a Apr 2010 box date. Smoking one back in 2011 was the worst decision I made, it was horribly young. I just revisited the exact box last month with a night and day difference. Typical RA flavor in spades. I'm extremely grateful I didn't get rid of the box.

Sent from my Nexus 4

• Like 2

Remember most smoke cigars right away for over a hundred years and we who age cigars are not the main supporters of the cigar industry .

Like it or not we are a small percentage in the cigar world .

There are some exceptions why some cigars are bland fresh not stored right having high humidity , tobacco was to young before rolling etc etc..

But overall a cigar should be enjoyable young .

• Like 1

But aren't RASS supposed to be one of the best young robustos? Correct me if I'm wrong here? I don't have the storage space to age - 100 ct desktop only and I'm not upgrading because it keeps me on a budget. So what should I burn young in robusto format?

But aren't RASS supposed to be one of the best young robustos? Correct me if I'm wrong here? I don't have the storage space to age - 100 ct desktop only and I'm not upgrading because it keeps me on a budget. So what should I burn young in robusto format?

Best is a very subjective word. If you like them, then go ahead and burn them young. No worries. Maybe try keeping 5 set aside for a couple years to see if there is any difference, but really, no need to sweat about it.

• Like 1

I hope that the RASS aren't off for 2013.

These are my first cc box purchase, they're on their way as we speak. Good thing is I bought them from here so I should be ok. It was actually a split with a couple of other foh'ers, I really like this forum for all of the knowledge I'm gaining from you all.