Cheap and Cheerful My new Focus

Homebrew

Over the last few months, I have been indulgent with my purchases, and have been ignoring the lower end cigars. Partially from an increase in income, and the fear of some favorites, getting cancelled, as so many favorites have already,

But now I find myself needing cigars, that I can toss, without feeling too bad about tossing.

I have recently bought some C&C tubos, I bought 4 different cigars.

H.Upmann Coronas Major, a tried and true favorite from my early days of cigar smoking.

Punch Coronations (A.T.) ,which I have never tried.

Partagas Coronas Senior TA, which I have had a couple of times, and I think I remember liking.

And

Hoyo de Monterrey Coronations AT, That I have never tried,

The way I work, I am sitting around waiting for work. But when I am called, I must drop whatever I am doing, and get to it. It is not conducive to carrying around a otterbox, to keep smokes in, hence the tubos. It is better if I can carry a couple with me, than lug a box around.

I am wondering how the Punch and the HdM, will be. I understand they are lighter bodied, but I need a breakfast smoke anyway.

What do Ya'll think, about my choices?

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

I will find out pretty soon, which of those two, if either, I like. Since they are both billed as mild, I can always give them to the mooches, at work, if I don't care for them. I am a big fan of the Punch Marque, so I have an idea, I will like the Punch, if they stay true to the Marque. I just have to remember that they are budget offerings, when I try them.

Thanks again, for the replies.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Well,

These came in the post today.

post-1053-0-45038200-1396155748_thumb.jp

The Postal Delivery lady told me that I am one of 2 pain in the ass customers on her route, as I have so many package deliveries.innocent.gif

As you can tell from the photo, I tried a Punch ROTT. Damn good considering the price, and it being upon delivery. There is no reason something this cheap, should be this tasty. party.gif

I guess I need to try the Hoyo next.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

• Like 4

I picked up a couple punch tubos in Canada last time I ventured into the great white north. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Nothing about them said cheap. Tasted like a quality smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unusual that you found Cuban Punch cigars in Canada, as they are not legally sold,

due to a totally stupid court decision awarding the brand name to the NC version.

You are right, though - the Coronation Tubos are indeed a quality smoke.

If they were the Punch Punch Tubos, much better.

Well so far,

I am very happy with all of them. The H. Upmann Corona Major, tops my list, as it gave a little nic kick, and was the fullest podied, at a solid medium, easing towards full in the last third. Nice creamy, typical Upmann.

Second favorite, was the Punch, which was also fairly assertive in flavor, but had a touch of tannins towards the end, but that is typical of a young cigar. The Partagas corona Senior, was typical partagas, with a nice medium body, and barely edged out the HdM, to take third spot. The HdM was surprisingly good, as I had the lowest expectation for it. Very mild, but good creamy flavor, and little to no tannins.

Over all I will be buying more of all of them I am very satisfied, and would recommend them all.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far,

I am very happy with all of them. The H. Upmann Corona Major, tops my list, as it gave a little nic kick, and was the fullest podied, at a solid medium, easing towards full in the last third. Nice creamy, typical Upmann.

Second favorite, was the Punch, which was also fairly assertive in flavor, but had a touch of tannins towards the end, but that is typical of a young cigar. The Partagas corona Senior, was typical partagas, with a nice medium body, and barely edged out the HdM, to take third spot. The HdM was surprisingly good, as I had the lowest expectation for it. Very mild, but good creamy flavor, and little to no tannins.

Over all I will be buying more of all of them I am very satisfied, and would recommend them all.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Great info, Dave! Can;t wait to try them all :)

• 1 month later...

Homebrew: How are the Juan Lopez PC's smoking and what is the boxcode and date on them?

I've found the recent (2013) RyJ & Partagas Mille Fluers to be smoking well.

Homebrew: How are the Juan Lopez PC's smoking and what is the boxcode and date on them?

I've found the recent (2013) RyJ & Partagas Mille Fluers to be smoking well.

Just fired up the first, from this box.

Box Code BRS Sep 13.

So Far smoking like a dream. Getting hints of Rum cake, and raisins, as well as a spice that I am yet to identify, in a nice leathery base. This all in the first third. Amazing at this young age. I was a little worried because the feel was slightly spongy but the draw is nice.

Second third 2nd verse, same as the first, only the rumcake has an added honey flavor, and the spice is of nutmeg, and cinnamon.

Final third

In the final third, the tannins come out, showing the youth of this cigar. The flavors become muted, and the dry tannic flavor takes over. I laid this cigar to rest, with an 1 1/4" left.

A very nice cigar, for it's age. Med-full, but not really complex. Pretty straight forward, with minimal changes. I will lay the remainder down for a long nap, and will return to them in 6 months or so for another try. I have also just ordered 2 more boxes, to accompany them.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was an exact debate I was going through this week while deciding to order a couple boxes since I have similar work situation. I can sit on my patio and smoke but if I get a work call I have to get to a desktop and stay put for a while. Thanks for keeping up with this thread. I will also post some comments when a couple of my boxes get here.

• 4 weeks later...

How are the Non Plus? Have always been interested in these but never got around to getting a box.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I really can't recall, well enough for a proper review, but I remember that they were good enough, that I ordered another two boxes of them as well. I will try and find the time to do a proper review of them soon.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Sorry I took so long to reply. I really can't recall, well enough for a proper review, but I remember that they were good enough, that I ordered another two boxes of them as well. I will try and find the time to do a proper review of them soon.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Cheers Dave :)

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

Cheers Dave :)