Diplomaticos No. 2

Background

I had never tried a Diplomaticos cigar as I just never heard anyone talking about them. I remember leaving Santiago de Cuba for Miami back in 2003 and I had about $400 dollars left in my pocket before we left for the airport. Just before I was going to board the bus, I ran into the cigar store in the Melia and picked up another box of Ramon Allones 898 to go along with a box I bought earlier in the week and saw a lonely box sitting in the corner. The clerk said they were from 2000 and they didn't sell many of them but she handed me the box to take a look. It was a box of Diplomaticos No. 1. I think the box was $110 and said, "What the hell" and picked them up as well. Those were some amazing cervantes. Wish I still had some.

The Review

post-53-0-55544100-1396928721_thumb.jpg

AME AGO 12. The girlfriend joins me with her own cigar for my first review on FoH.

Construction: A nice colorado-colored wrapper. Very good construction with a flawless draw.

Prelight aroma & Flavor: Smelled like a horse barn. A few prelight draws tasted like fresh cut hay.

Flavors: Immediately struck by a very pleasant savory sweetness/spiciness. Nutmeg/gingerbread. My girlfriend described it as a Christmas milkshake. We found that as we reached the end of the 2nd third, the pleasant spices faded away a bit and the cigar's strength picked up a bit. This profile continued to the end. My girlfriend threw in the towel about 10 minutes before I did with a dismissive, "It's getting boring." The cigar continued to pick up strength towards the last inch when I decided to call it a night.

Conclusion

91/100 A good value Piramide that has never been a disappointment to me. Even a box as young as this is still producing a great smoking experience. No doubt a few years age will continue to improve these guys. While I don't think I'd ever classify them as a "great cigar", I'll never forget how I discovered the Diplomaticos brand. I took a chance on a lonely box of unwanted cigars and since then, the marca has always treated me well.

• Like 4

I love all Dip's, especially the Dip2!

I love all the Dips

Only wish I'd found them before the marca was boned out by HSA

Managed to get some Dip 3's and a couple of boxes of Dip 1's (funnily enough, they're from 2000 as well) but would love to get some 4's or even som 7's

Nice review

Thanks for taking the time

• 3 weeks later...