2014 Blind Tasting Competition - Cigar No. 1 Reveal

Hmm, Cigar No. 1 divided everyone. Some wanted a box immediately, others called it the greatest piece of trash since the Trini Short LE.

The 2014 Blind Tasting Cigar No. 1 was - Partagas Serie D No. 4

post-17193-0-61162700-1397428169_thumb.p

Congratulations to those who nailed it. For all those who unfortunately struck out, having 5 cigars this year means that there is plenty of opportunity to hit back!

They are all robustos/hermosos no. 4 people! How hard could it be?! nyah.gif

….and for the brothers whom mentioned that you believe the cigars were mixed up, we have passed on your details to Lisa “Raging Bull” Goreta ….who de-banded and re-banded each and every one of them. Good luck there.... peace.giflol3.gif

Also, my apologies for the delay. I have a feeling some of you might have waited up late into the night in anticipation for this.

Nothing more humbling than this competition, D4 was one of the first options I discarded. At least the odds get better the further in we get!

bollocks! clap.gif

Wow... i actually thought the D4 was one of the other smokes... damn it now i have to rethink my other choice !

Cheers for the reveal though Alistair!

When I read your tasting review I tasted exactly the same, I had put your tastes as the same as mine! Well they might still be, we both are billygoats! :D

I got melon! MELON! I've never got melon from any cigar except an Epi#2, when I got that I shut up shop and sat back and enjoy the rest of the cigar! No spice what-so-ever either!

I'm going to go take up taxidermy instead! :D

bollocks! clap.gif

When I read your tasting review I tasted exactly the same, I had put your tastes as the same as mine! Well they might still be, we both are billygoats! biggrin.png

I got melon! MELON! I've never got melon from any cigar except an Epi#2, when I got that I shut up shop and sat back and enjoy the rest of the cigar! No spice what-so-ever either!

I'm going to go take up taxidermy instead! biggrin.png

Ahaha Melon! I've never tasted Melon in a cigar. But still. A fair few people guessed the Epi 2 and were deceived. *throws toys out of pram* *goes home* sneaky.gifnyah.giflol3.gif

• Like 1

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. That is how I perceived cigar No 1. Never would I guess it was a PSD4. I went with SLR Regios and BRC as runner up. I've smoked many a PSD4. Very surprised I didn't catch it.

My methods of Einie, meenie, mynie, mo between BRC and PSD4 foiled me yet again!

BLASTED confoundit, dagnabbit!! #X$@&

Hehehe, I love this challenge!

Thanks for setting it up and running it, and let's see that no.2 thread started!

Same here. Congrats to everyone that got it right.

Me 3...the fruit made me go Short Churchill. I never would've guessed PSD4...That was near the bottom of my list. Congrats to those that picked this one right.

We did a group tasting and lit up two of the blind tasting cigars at the same time and even that tasted completely different. One tasted really spicy at the first 3/4 with hints of cake and custard and eventually dies down to a mellow coconut flavor. The other one does not have the spice at all, smooth and elegant and tasted like bubblegum flavor ice cream. We thought it was the way we rested the cigars but seeing all the other responses leads us to think that even within the same box the cigars can vary in terms of flavor and strength.

• Like 1

Ha! That's a pretty damning indictment of Partagas. The majority of tasters can't recognize its most popular stick! :o

PSD4...nice! That was my initial guess as to what it was but talked myself out of it. Always go with your first guess, dummy...

I did the same. The wrapper matched up nicely with a POU box I had from Rob, but it also matched up nicely with some BRC's I had from Czar. Both showed that strong, mottled color, but the the sample stick I had was very sloppy at the foot and full of cold, dry harsh scents which swayed me towards the BRC.

I have a strategy of doing this on sight and cold scents alone. Kind of an experiment. Not really working so well at this point! :P