Havana Club?

ptrthgr8

• 2 months later...

They are two completely different spirits, they have nothing to do with the other. Although he has only a year's difference in the aging of the youngest of the rums that integrate both products, there is no comparison between them, because their organoleptic qualities are different, starting from the point that are two products of exceptional quality, but with a different profile of aging and final evolution.

What are the differences between Santiago 11 and 12? I don't have access to the 11.

• 2 months later...

They are two completely different spirits, they have nothing to do with the other. Although he has only a year's difference in the aging of the youngest of the rums that integrate both products, there is no comparison between them, because their organoleptic qualities are different, starting from the point that are two products of exceptional quality, but with a different profile of aging and final evolution.

I get that they are different, but can you describe how? Flavor components, texture, aroma etc? Thank you in advance.

As you said, he prefers heavy rums, which are all the opposite of what Cuba manufactures, since the classic standard used in my country, light rum, is unmatched with other styles which are often seen in the markets.

If you prefer El Dorado, Zacapa, or any Demerara, seems a very good choice, but a Santiago de Cuba 11 years, does not envy anything to those brands, and I speak of the 11 years that is not the top of range, it's not necessary to get up there. Zacapa XO face to face with a Santiago de Cuba 25 years, tasting blind, would be more than one surprise.

About Máximo there is no need to talk, sincerely i believe it is beyond what any one besides Cuba, can make. I could talk about other things, maybe Siglo y Medio, a reserve from another world, Isla del Tesoro, or any other reserve that made exist in Cuba, but we could leave it for another time.

This man knows of what he speaks although what he speaks speaks $$$$$

I agree on the subjective part but those last three sell in the 4 digit range $$$$$

• 2 weeks later...

It's cheap and readily available at all bottle shops in Australia but I don't often get it. There seems to be an explosion of rum availability lately and there are some truly great rums out there for the same cost.

Anybody else rate kraken?

It's cheap and readily available at all bottle shops in Australia but I don't often get it. There seems to be an explosion of rum availability lately and there are some truly great rums out there for the same cost.

Anybody else rate kraken?

To me Kraken tastes like a naked russian, no filth intended, just kahlua and vodka. Like a white or black but with no mixer, don't dislike it, just doesn't scream rum to me. Love the rum explosion and rum in general. For the topic HC SDM is fantastic to my taste, but it's just that, my taste.

This is my honest opinion: kraken rum is a triumph of marketing over a decent product. It is nasty, artificial swill that should be used to clean sinks instead of getting poured in a glass.

Clear enough? ;)

• Like 3

This is my honest opinion: kraken rum is a triumph of marketing over a decent product. It is nasty, artificial swill that should be used to clean sinks instead of getting poured in a glass.

Clear enough? ;)

That's pretty much how I feel about all spiced rums

Are spiced rums generally intended for sipping or mixing?

I can enjoy a Sailor Jerry with Coke but that is really about it.

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty much how I feel about all spiced rums

If available to you I recommend Foursquare neat. A bit smoother spiced rum. I agree most spiced rum are for mixing, but that one surprised me a bit.

Sorry, off topic for HC.

• 3 weeks later...

Without tasting impressions and more description, all that is said is vague and highly subjective.

As you said, is a subjective opinion, my opinion, I think the difference with others is that I was very well what I mean, since for reasons of work I know perfectly the quality of all great Cuban reserves, something that the majority of the US consumer can't say.

I recommend that if you want to have an objective impression about the properties of the large Cuban rums, buy some bottles of which mention and do a comparative tasting of these with products that you like, so can have a clear and exact idea about what you think of them.

In terms of prices, certainly some Cuban reserves are very expensive, just when one is given the luxury of taste some of the best rums in the world, which are made in Cuba, in very limited editions, one accepts that it will pay a high price for a luxury that is not within the reach of everyone.

I have long been seeing what pay in the world by some bottles of wine, cognac, whisky and some more distillate, and accept that the unique and undeniable quality comes at a high price, therefore I understand that someone wants to take a bottle of Santiago de Cuba 25 years, must pay what it costs, just like if you decide to buy a bottle of Maximo, Siglo y Medio or La Isla del Tesoro.

Obviously I know all the tastings notes of all the great Cuban rums in this moment, but I prefer what each discover their properties if same and make a personal assessment of what appear to this.

As you said, is a subjective opinion, my opinion, I think the difference with others is that I was very well what I mean, since for reasons of work I know perfectly the quality of all great Cuban reserves, something that the majority of the US consumer can't say.

I recommend that if you want to have an objective impression about the properties of the large Cuban rums, buy some bottles of which mention and do a comparative tasting of these with products that you like, so can have a clear and exact idea about what you think of them.

In terms of prices, certainly some Cuban reserves are very expensive, just when one is given the luxury of taste some of the best rums in the world, which are made in Cuba, in very limited editions, one accepts that it will pay a high price for a luxury that is not within the reach of everyone.

I have long been seeing what pay in the world by some bottles of wine, cognac, whisky and some more distillate, and accept that the unique and undeniable quality comes at a high price, therefore I understand that someone wants to take a bottle of Santiago de Cuba 25 years, must pay what it costs, just like if you decide to buy a bottle of Maximo, Siglo y Medio or La Isla del Tesoro.

Obviously I know all the tastings notes of all the great Cuban rums in this moment, but I prefer what each discover their properties if same and make a personal assessment of what appear to this.

I asked specifically for impressions because I wanted some idea of what they would taste like. Obviously everyone's tastes differ, but notes can help when you are trying to figure out whether it is something you want to buy or not.

I don't understand why you refuse to share information.

Not for nothing, you have never posted an informative post on FoH. Most are one phrase postings. And they are few enough that it took maybe three minutes to read them all. ???

• 1 year later...

Toronto LCBO prices

Zacapa 23  $79.99

Havana Club 7   32.99

I bought the Havana club.   Is the Z 23 more than "twice as good" as the 7?

I have both HC 7 and zacapa 23 on my shelf, and I always seem to go for the HC. It's become a favorite.  See if you can get a friend to bring you a bottle from the non US Caribbean.  I get the HC 7 for US$19 in the duty free in the Caymans,  which we visit frequently.   At that price it's a no brainer.  The various Appletons are also relatively cheap there.  

46 minutes ago, mi000ke said:

I have both HC 7 and zacapa 23 on my shelf, and I always seem to go for the HC. It's become a favorite.  See if you can get a friend to bring you a bottle from the non US Caribbean.  I get the HC 7 for US$19 in the duty free in the Caymans,  which we visit frequently.   At that price it's a no brainer.  The various Appletons are also relatively cheap there.  

HC7 is about A$60 here. HC15 is $220.

the Appleton 21 is around A$230 with the zacapa XO about $20 less. 

Toronto LCBO prices

Zacapa 23  $79.99

Havana Club 7   32.99

I bought the Havana club.   Is the Z 23 more than "twice as good" as the 7?

For me the HC7 is great for mixing and the Zacapa 23 is better for having neat.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a bottle of  HC Anejo Reserva which hasn't arrived yet, but am looking forward to it.  Had some of the Legendario 7Yr Anejo and it was very good with one ice cube.  I am not really a rum drinker, much prefer bourbon or scotch but that was pretty good stuff.

• 8 months later...

Once upon a time ~ before 2003, I used to have a close acquaintance with an older Cuban immigrant couple who would visit family in the Cienfuegos region once a year. I taught them how to shop for real Cuban cigars & was able to get HC 15 for $80...guess those days are long gone.