TRINIDAD Vigia Tasting and Review (New Release 2014)

Made this review a little over 2 weeks ago and forgot to share it on FOH. my bad fellas.. here is it

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-06.jpg

Length: 11 cm

Ring Gauge: 54

Factory Name: Vigia

Vitola: Torres

Type: Petit Robusto

Presentation: Box of 12 and Tubos of 3 (TBC)

Release Date: Third quarter 2014

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-05.jpg

During the Trinidad Evening in the 16th Habanos Festival last February 2014, they gave out the Trinidad Vigia and Cohiba Robustos Supremos EL 2014 for sampling with our dinner. The cigar was great to smoke along with the a wonderful evening that made it so memorable! That is why I kept one to review for you guys! Before we get started, below are some pictures I took during the Trinidad event:

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-21.jpgTrinidad-Vigia-memycigars-22.jpgTrinidad-Vigia-memycigars-23.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-24.jpgTrinidad-Vigia-memycigars-25.jpg

Ok so where were we...

The Construction - This is the first in the Trinidad line with a wonderful 54 gauge ring. Smooth with a matte colorado claro wrapper and very faint veins running throughout the cigar. The body is soft to touch which bounce right back feel giving the illusion of a loosely rolled cigar, but its well packed and the cap continues to carry the classic pig-tail Trinidad cap.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-04.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-07.jpg

Since This came out of the Tubo, I should also mention how beautiful and elegant the tubo design was. With its classic vibrant mustardy gold Trinidad color, which is a little bit longer than the Montecristo Petit Edmundo tubo, it has the Trinidad logo and the cigar name Vigia printed on the pull-away cap while the bottom (inside lined with a cedar sheet) showcases a gold stamped Trinidad logos all around it.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-03.jpg

The Draw - Again, using a wide-gauge punch to cut the pig-tail carefully, the cold draw offers just enough resistance to pick up some soft earthy notes with hints of wet grass and roasted nuts.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-09.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-08.jpgTrinidad-Vigia-memycigars-10.jpg

The First Burn - Surprisingly, once light there were no harsh taste to the smoke which you would expect with a fairly young cigar, instead it quickly gave off that noticeable Trinidad characteristic of grounded nuts and earthy taste with hints of cloves. In other words, it started out great, but... this quickly disappeared and then came along that dry woody notes and spicy kick that you would get in the back of the throat when you drink cinnamon tea.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-11.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-12.jpg

Not that I remember, but this made me wonder if I experienced the same thing when I smoked it during the festival! This flavor profile continued all the way to the middle of the cigar. The burn is even and the smoke is light.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-13.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-14.jpg

The Middle Burn - Now to try explain this further, the dominant character is wood with a clovey/cinnamony spice, which sometimes turn sweet. Again, when I say its woody, the flavor starts out with dry wood then shifts to wet or moist wood. The nutty notes kicks in, then by the end of the middle half the Trinidad characters come out again with its fresh grass and damp soil scent leaving a very creamy finish on your palate and soft spice that of nutmeg.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-15.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-16.jpg

The ash holds up pretty well and smoke is silky smooth but by this end the burn becomes uneven which I had to drop the ash to make sure i can quickly correct it.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-17.jpg

The Final Burn - The flavor profile continues to follow the last of the middle part but with intense earthy taste and spiciness comes and goes. The woody notes can be very distinctive during this part as well but the sweetness and nuttiness of the smoke make this cigar such a joy to go all the way to the nub!

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-17.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-18.jpg

A wonderful size cigar which has potential of developing with time. It is great for an after dinner smoke and I will definitely revisit this again after a couple of months (since I managed to score two more Vigia cigars during the festival) to see if the profile holds up the same.

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-20.jpg

Trinidad-Vigia-memycigars-19.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Great Review. I also had the pleasure of attending the dinner which was a great time. (Luckily, I was not affected by the torrential rain.) The cigar was, in my opinion, the most elegant of all cigars showcased at the festival. I smoked 2 of the 3 Vigias and found them to show their youth but showed great promise. Very smooth, creamy and nutty. I had no burn issues. I am saving my tubo to see how it progresses and look forward to buying a box as soon as they come to market.

Nice review!

Although I'm slightly disappointed at the thick ring gauges that are coming out at the moment as anything over 50 I find too thick, this cigar does look fantastic, I love the tubo and the colours on the Trinidad band are as nice as ever, the wrapper looks lovely and smooth in the photo as well!

Looking forward to trying these!

nice review abdul

yesterday i happen to have smoked this one as well

i fully agree with your conclusion that this cigar has a lot of potential and allready stands great even though it's young age

however for me the first third was more true to the marca and from the middle on it gained strenght to become aromatically extremely complex

nice evolution!