A couple of interesting books.

There's a little bookstore about a 10 minute walk from my house that has yielded a few cigar related titles over the past two years for me. Someone is obviously selling off their cigar books and I've gladly snapped them up. This particular book while not cigar related, was authored by a renowned cigar lover. Yes, Mr Fidel Castro is the right answer. Not Che. wink.png

So, first book I present to you is. "History Will Absolve Me". By Fidel Castro. It's a transcript of a four hour speech he gave in his own defence while in court charged with leading an attack on the Moncada Barracks.

Some detailed background.

The book was in great condition. Having been published in 1975. Whomever owned this, kept it in great condition. The book is rife with disturbing photos of the violent reality of Cuba at the time. I'll spare you those shots.

Front slipsleeve cover. Thick cardboard with a separately printed photo glued on to the box. Definitely a handmade endeavor.

post-6763-0-00099400-1399254830_thumb.jp

Slipcover and book.

post-6763-0-46416500-1399254834_thumb.jp

A brief printing note found towards the end.

post-6763-0-67727600-1399254838_thumb.jp

One of many photos of "El Presidente" Not you Rob. wink.png

post-6763-0-13029700-1399254843_thumb.jp

Now. On to some lighter fare.

Once in a while I'll walk over to a comic book store located not too far from my work. I scan the new arrivals and the word "Cigar" peeked out from the wall of superhero comics in front of me.

The title in question? "The Cigar That Fell in Love with a Pipe".

It's a love story about a "robust" female cigar roller, Conchita Marquez, and her unrequited love for a sailor.

Be warned. While the art within is beautiful, the story is very basic, but entertaining. And as you read through. You'll get the impression that the authors are also in love with the leaf. You'll probably read through this in 20 minutes, like I did. It is a charming story, lovingly illustrated but falls short on breadth of content. The authors manage to tie in Orson Welles and then wife, Rita Hayworth for kicks as well. Historical accuracy be damned! smile.png

Here's a sampling.

post-6763-0-35814000-1399255750_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-64368800-1399255755_thumb.jp