Cigar box. Signed by Castro

I just love merchandise celebrating murderous dictators!

Does the seller have anything signed by Mao or Stalin?

I would pay a great deal of money for a cigar box signed by Chairman Mao.

• Like 1

I would pay a great deal of money for a cigar box signed by Chairman Mao.

Chairman Mao's calligraphy has been highly collectible for a number of years: an album of his calligraphy fetched for over 14 million RMB in late 2013. He was also a cigar smoker for many years, so it's plausible that he signed a box at some point, and likely that some cigar related item of his survived to this day. Would definitely be entertaining to see some hardcore Hong Kong collectors and Mainland nouveaux riches battle it out for such a piece at auction.

• Like 1

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. If authentic, that is indeed quite a find. Wonder how the buyer came by it? Didn't know that Chairman Mao was a cigar smoker? I know he smoked a ton of cigarettes like the other early revolutionary leaders, but cigars as well. I assume they were probably Chinese cigars? I've seen them sold in China, but have yet to take the plunge.

I am sure it would be worth a lot more if the seller had taken is time to save the signature authenticated but 6500 bones is way to much for me to gamble on something that are at least a50 percent as it is fake. I am sure someone with a fat pocket will take the gamble

I'm not an expert in handwriting but after comparing it with 5 examples found on the Internet that were verified as authentic, I'd have to say it's 100% fake. Hope nobody actually buys it.

Just joshing.

Relax_o_135776.jpg

At first Im like that is some serious greasy buns! LOL

I am sure it would be worth a lot more if the seller had taken is time to save the signature authenticated but 6500 bones is way to much for me to gamble on something that are at least a50 percent as it is fake. I am sure someone with a fat pocket will take the gamble

*I doubt I would pay that much for it even if the cigars came with it!

that box seems very suspicious.. I would say it's more than likely fake. Ebay's probably not the place for his signature- in theory it is incredible though..

Chairman Mao's calligraphy has been highly collectible for a number of years: an album of his calligraphy fetched for over 14 million RMB in late 2013. He was also a cigar smoker for many years, so it's plausible that he signed a box at some point, and likely that some cigar related item of his survived to this day. Would definitely be entertaining to see some hardcore Hong Kong collectors and Mainland nouveaux riches battle it out for such a piece at auction.

This is so cool. Thanks for the info. I'm writing a long paper on Chinese politics tonight (only 2000 words to go!).

I'm not an expert in handwriting but after comparing it with 5 examples found on the Internet that were verified as authentic, I'd have to say it's 100% fake. Hope nobody actually buys it.

Have you read the seller's self-described credentials? He seems incredibly legitimate. Unless he is literally in the business of selling exquisitely well-produced fakes, I don't imagine that someone like him would risk selling such a piece were it truly inauthentic.

Didn't know that Chairman Mao was a cigar smoker? I know he smoked a ton of cigarettes like the other early revolutionary leaders, but cigars as well. I assume they were probably Chinese cigars? I've seen them sold in China, but have yet to take the plunge.

Chairman Mao smoked cigars, but was by no means an iconic cigar smoker like Prime Minister Churchill, Fidel Castro or Sigmund Freud. Story goes, some time in the 1960s, Mao's staff convinced him to smoke cigars, supposedly specially blended with Chinese herbs, as a healthier alternative to cigarette smoking. A factory in Sichuan province rolled these cigars and others for senior Chinese officials. However, production was moved to Beijing in 1971 when security measures heightened following Lin Biao's failed coup. There are a few accounts floating around the internet of visiting dignitaries and Mao's staff receiving individual cigars from Mao.

There is a brand of Chinese cigars called "Great Wall" rolled in Sichuan that claim to be of the same heritage as Mao's cigars. Never tried one, but the tobacco is supposedly treated with Chinese liquors and teas to enhance the flavor profile. Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of their claims. Are these the cigars you saw in China?

We are getting a little OT here, but since the question arose:

Great Wall is a well established cigar brand i China. I have tried them and they are not remotely related to cigars as we know them. Basically they consist of fine cut tobacco, a lot like pipe tobacco and then wrapped with a tobacco leaf. They taste sweet, like they have been dipped in honey or some sweet liqour.

The only thing positive about my smoking experience is that it was interesting to try them, just for the heck of it.

Chairman Mao smoked cigars, but was by no means an iconic cigar smoker like Prime Minister Churchill, Fidel Castro or Sigmund Freud. Story goes, some time in the 1960s, Mao's staff convinced him to smoke cigars, supposedly specially blended with Chinese herbs, as a healthier alternative to cigarette smoking. A factory in Sichuan province rolled these cigars and others for senior Chinese officials. However, production was moved to Beijing in 1971 when security measures heightened following Lin Biao's failed coup. There are a few accounts floating around the internet of visiting dignitaries and Mao's staff receiving individual cigars from Mao.

There is a brand of Chinese cigars called "Great Wall" rolled in Sichuan that claim to be of the same heritage as Mao's cigars. Never tried one, but the tobacco is supposedly treated with Chinese liquors and teas to enhance the flavor profile. Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of their claims. Are these the cigars you saw in China?

That's very interesting. Thank you for the added info. It's funny you should mention Sichuan because I have work that takes me to Chengdu twice a year and that's where I have seen people selling and smoking Chinese cigars. They actually smell quite good. I've always wondered how they would taste. I'll have to buy one next time I am there.

Or anything signed by George W. Bush? innocent.gif

You need a history lesson if you are somehow able to put those three names together. Between Stalin and Mao, some 90 - 110M people were killed.

• Like 1