Cigar box. Signed by Castro

You need a history lesson if you are somehow able to put those three names together. Between Stalin and Mao, some 90 - 110M people were killed.

That's a conservative estimate.

• Like 1

Guys. Enough on the "dictator" *** for tat. Let's stay on the target. Weird cigar box. Signed by Castro. Maybe??

One of the biggest scams I have dealt with on eBay was Canadian Indian Trade silver. This antique collectible sterling silver is very rare, hallmarked and beautiful. It is the handmade artifact ware made by Hudson's Bay and others to give to Native Indians in the 1600-1800's for furs in northern Canada. Really, the only pieces are in museums. On eBay there are pieces for sale, in display cases with old looking paper tags etc. Only those who have proper hallmark reference and a clue know better.

Here is a guide I wrote on eBay about it

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-Antique-or-Vintage-Sterling-Silver-on-eBay-/10000000000005162/g.html

The thing is, if you wish hard enough, you will believe anything. In the case of the Castro box, the only reason I would not buy it on eBay, is I could not properly have it validated and appraised before paying for it.

• Like 2

I smell a fraud. Wouldn't something like this end up at Sotheby's, rather than... eBay???

• Like 2

As a follow up note, if the listing shows that it has a money back eBay guarantee, which this one does, there is some recourse. When I bought the bogus beaver trade silver, I used this service. It took forever, I had to use a process that was like arbitration to prove why I was unhappy, and the seller kept selling his crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just purchased the box in question, after doing a lot of research into it. The sale is conditional on third party authentication, of my choice, but the signature is absolutely right (Castro's signature changed many times over the past 55 years and you need to compare like - 1959 - for like). As there seems to be a lot of interest in the piece, I'll add more details, as I get them.

• Like 1

I've just purchased the box in question, after doing a lot of research into it. The sale is conditional on third party authentication, of my choice, but the signature is absolutely right (Castro's signature changed many times over the past 55 years and you need to compare like - 1959 - for like). As there seems to be a lot of interest in the piece, I'll add more details, as I get them.

Interesting. Can't wait to see if it's kosher.

Good luck

Well good luck I hope you did not get played