2014 Blind Tasting Competition - Cigar No. 2 Reveal

Reveal time!

A larger percentage guessed cigar no. 2 correctly. Good improvements shown after cigar no. 1 - well done, you're learning! nyah.gifparty.gif

For some, this was a perfect example of this cigar. For others, it was just an average cigar. Different palates, different perceptions. Some wanted to know the box code and cigar to order a box immediately. Others weren't so sure. One bloke didn't even smoke his and got it right solely on construction and aroma laugh.png

The 2014 Blind Tasting Cigar No. 2 was - Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2

post-17193-0-56614400-1399502525_thumb.p

Once again, congratulations to those who guessed correctly. With only two members sitting ahead of the pack at 2/2, the remaining 3 cigars offer the rest of you a chance to claw your way back into contention. Pull out your notepads and bring on cigar no. 3 2thumbs.gif

• Like 2

0 for 7. I'm blaming the wife for switching the bands on my blind taste test cigars. Not in a million years would I have called this one an HdM Epi 2. Congrats to those with a better palate than mine. Nimorup & Britto batting 2 for 2, well done....and PM me with your guess for cigar number 3. :)

....Others weren't so sure. One bloke didn't even smoke his and got it right solely on construction and aroma laugh.png

Guilty.

Alastair sent me an e-mail reminder of needing to smoke this cigar a couple of days ago, and I was stuck up at work for a bit with some major issues going on there. So, with my mind elsewhere, I didn't even get a chance to bring the cigar up with me to work last week, much less to actually get it smoked. I only went off of my pre-smoking inspection notes, about construction and aromas, and ended up picking the Epi 2.

Then, I smoked it last night while doing some honey-do-list stuff outside, and I was honestly very torn. Some flavour elements of the Epi 2's were definitely there, and this thing smoked damn good. But it was missing one crucial element for me - cream. There was no creaminess to the smoke, no dense mouthfeel, no creamy sweetness to the taste. Everything else was Epi 2, but this caused me to sway my thoughts and to go 60/40 to JL No 2's instead.

I actually just e-mailed Alastair just a few minutes ago, asking to change my call to the JL 2 from the Epi 2, but didn't realize this was even up yet. I guess the horseshoe was working for me this time.

• Like 3

Guest rob

I had no solid idea as ro what the cigar was, but knew it was packaged originally in a cabinet as it had that distinct 'ribbon squeeze' on one side. I ruled out a number of cigars by that one detail.

It was then by using further process of elimination, as I couldn't find enough flavour and body detail in the smoke I had to make it a Coro, a RASS or JL 2.

Yep, there's a great quote from the Sea Captian (aka. Horatio McCallister) from the Simpsons where he says something along the lines of "Yaaarr, I have no idea what I'm doing".

I think I'm going to announce my un-heralded retirement from Blind tasting after this competition.

Now, where are those hair clippers, I think I said something about something is I was wrong on this one, right Allister?

Yep, there's a great quote from the Sea Captian (aka. Horatio McCallister) from the Simpsons where he says something along the lines of "Yaaarr, I have no idea what I'm doing".

I think I'm going to announce my un-heralded retirement from Blind tasting after this competition.

Now, where are those hair clippers, I think I said something about something is I was wrong on this one, right Allister?

Mate, I really don't want to put the words in your mouth but

post-17193-0-82048600-1399590240_thumb.p

innocent.gif

I hope your wife likes a buzzcut rotfl.gif

• Like 1

Gee thanks for the dose of brutal honesty.

In my defense, I'm was four drinks in when I said that, I look terrible with a shaved head (lost this bet once in my teens). How about this for an excuse, I had a haircut yesterday, not shaved but darn close and in losing my hair already. Good enough?

Gee thanks for the dose of brutal honesty.

In my defense, I'm was four drinks in when I said that, I look terrible with a shaved head (lost this bet once in my teens). How about this for an excuse, I had a haircut yesterday, not shaved but darn close and in losing my hair already. Good enough?

I'll let that pass mate ok.gif I look horrendous with a no. 1 too, so I'll let you off the hook.

Awfully convenient timing with the haircut though nyah.gif

Not in a million years would I have called this one an HdM Epi 2.

Agreed! I had smoked one very recently and it was nothing like what I experienced with the blind tasting cigar. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a box of the HdM Epi 2 based on the one I had previously smoked. Sure hope the box I receive isn't anything like cigar #2 was...