Knives

Pedro2486

• 3 weeks later...

Do not remember seeing this name brand, but being Japanese, it should be great. I have a slew of knifes including Wusthof, which is a favorite for meat because of the rapid honing vs. Japanese who are harder, Global and a couple of other high end Japanese makes.

Do not remember seeing this name brand, but being Japanese, it should be great. I have a slew of knifes including Wusthof, which is a favorite for meat because of the rapid honing vs. Japanese who are harder, Global and a couple of other high end Japanese makes.

It's kinda comparable to Shun as knife steels go, with a very fine bevel (16 degrees) so not as good for heavy work as German knives. I have a set of wusthof from about 1980 given to me by my father that I still use, though they are getting quite worn.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Yoshihiro Cutlery. Very sharp, very hard steel (so it stays very sharp), gorgeous construction and materials, hand forged in Japan, The wood handle is gorgeous...

It's like cooking with a katana that's been well balanced for working with onions, beef, chicken and peppers. smile.png

51vCaCChqYL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of heckles (the german ones) right now...looking to upgrade to Shun in the near future, not sure which line yet.

Any Shun is good Shun ;)

I love them too, the Tamahagane I posted above is comparable in quality and I like the micarta handle over Shuns wood. I think it's important however to keep some euro style knives with a heavier grind for really hard cutting tasks (going thru bone, crab shell etc) as the Japanese blades can be too fine and easily damaged.

On a related topic, I picked up a Spyderco Sharpmaker and their ultra fine benchstone yesterday. 10/10 for all my knives, I really recommend the Spyderco stuff for sharpening and love their folders too

So I'm curious... Are Wustof knives to a knife nerd what Bose are to an audiophile? Overpriced piles of Sh*t?

We got a Wustof set 10 years ago for our wedding, and I love them. But I wouldn't know any different.

I don't think so, but I'm sure that sentiment is out there on the web somewhere. I have an OLD set of wusthof knives that my Dad used for many years and they are still great. If I was gifted a set I would be very happy to have them

I've got a 10inch Shun Classic series Chef Knife, balanced for a left hander

I love it.

Just need to keep saving to buy the rest of the set

There's been some really good deals on eBay recently for both sets and individual knives. I've been eyeing a few but with sets of wustof, global and now the Tamahagane I probably don't need more knives.

What I've found is that even cheaper knives can be just as great if you remake your own edges with some high quality stones. The factory grinds being done to suit the lowest common denominator, a new bevel to suit what you're using the knife for makes a huge difference

• Like 1

I use and like Shun, Global, Kyocera and honestly for the money, you can't beat the Calphalon Katana line!

I've never been a fan of Wusthof!.

I use and like Shun, Global, Kyocera and honestly for the money, you can't beat the Calphalon Katana line!

I've never been a fan of Wusthof!.

Are the Kyocera knives ceramic? How are they to use compared to say Global?

Are the Kyocera knives ceramic? How are they to use compared to say Global?

They are ceramic and they are amazing, about as sharp as you can get! The higher end lines, in my opinion, are the best knives you can buy,

• Like 1

So I'm curious... Are Wustof knives to a knife nerd what Bose are to an audiophile? Overpriced piles of Sh*t?

We got a Wustof set 10 years ago for our wedding, and I love them. But I wouldn't know any different.

They're fine (Wustof/Henckels), they're just a decent, standard knife.

I like the comparison. Yes, I'd say some of the Japanese steel here is more like a B&W Nautilus, and the Wustof/Henckels Pro Series are more like a Bose. Some of the more entry level lines from those manufacturers are legitimate junk - like the Eversharp.

I keep a set of the professional Henckels handy. Just default to the better knives whenever possible.

• 10 months later...

Another vote for Global. Just a solid quality knife.

I would love to have a super fancy set, but when my wife slices a Lemon straight on the granite I cry a little inside.

I have Globals for my use only. Wife gets to use the Henkels and Wustoff.