Going to Cuba in 3wks and need advice with finding new cigars to enjoy

Hoping this is appropriate for my first topic post and hasn't been covered yet... peace.gif

Going to Cuba in a few weeks and wanted to buy some new cigars I haven’t smoked. I am new to this passion so I haven't had the pleasure of trying a variety of sticks from any one Marca. I personally love cigars that give a good tingle on the retrohale like RASS, SLR Regios, D4, TColoniales etc. as opposed to uber smooth smokes (RyJ Mille Fleur, HdM PE, Epi No1 etc.) and wanted to ask you gents for advice.

I have done alot of reading into what are some of the stronger, fuller bodied smokes but was hoping to see what might be my range of choices based on the broad experiences on this forum.

Of these five Marcas, I would like to kindly ask if some could suggest 1-2 sticks from each that is on the stronger side of the scale and in the = or > 46 gauge range? I don't think i'll be laying any of these purchases for sleep so those that smoke fresh would fit the bill better for me.

HdMonterrey

RyJulieta

HUpmann

Punch

JLopez

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If I can say,I'd bring back some stronger Customs like the ,"MONDALES", or the ,"SANTOS" or some very strong,"HAMLETS".

That Is what I'd do.But,That's me !!!!!!!

Guy

Thanks for your suggestions! Are these 'customs' the cigars that are being rolled literally outside of the LCDH doors? Ill be in Cayo Sta Maria and I do remember in Varadero there was a gentleman rolling outside but I didn't know at the time that I could buy them...

If I can say,I'd bring back some stronger Customs like the ,"MONDALES", or the ,"SANTOS" or some very strong,"HAMLETS".

That Is what I'd do.But,That's me !!!!!!!

Guy

I would do the same.

Not exactly stronger (more mid) but still

Only from reg production

-JLS1,JLS2

-Punch punch, double coronas

-Upmann connu A, conni1, RoyalRobusto

-r&j cazadores (used to be lot stronger)

-hdm - ? (not into really, so better not to say)

Would look around at Bolivar's myself if..

Not exactly stronger (more mid) but still

Only from reg production

-JLS1,JLS2

-Punch punch, double coronas

-Upmann connu A, conni1, RoyalRobusto

-r&j cazadores (used to be lot stronger)

-hdm - ? (not into really, so better not to say)

Thanks a bunch Subport! That's exaclty the kind of tip I was hoping for. i'll be sure to try out the Cazadores, Punch Punch and JLS2 as they are cigars I have not yet tried. I have already planned to bring back the HURR and the Connie A. I'll graba couple of the Connie 1's though as well based on your suggestion.

Thanks a bunch Subport! That's exaclty the kind of tip I was hoping for. i'll be sure to try out the Cazadores, Punch Punch and JLS2 as they are cigars I have not yet tried.

For me, It would not be interesting to go so far to bring back cigars that I could get anywhere on the net or anywhere else.

• Like 1

strong.....Bolivar

rich.......Monte

leathery....Upmann

floral....RyJ

recommend petit corona size, more time to explore and best stick to exhibit the style.......

look for older sticks if you can find an intact box, do not trust the shelf stock to be original..........

For me, It would not be interesting to go so far to bring back cigars that I could get anywhere on the net or anywhere else.

Thanks Laficion, I am planning to bring back a variety and if I can get my hands on some of these 'customs' at the LCDH I will for sure bring back a bunch. I am still learning the ropes so I will for sure be trying many different kinds and narrowing down whcih to bring home.

Where in Cuba are you going? If your spending a week or more there, why not smoke a whole bunch of stuff and figure outr what you like best?

THanks!. I am going to Cayo Sta Maria and going for 7 dys. I definitely plan on trying a variety and will be doing just that to narrow down the winners for me, but would like to explore the stronger side of the scales.

strong.....Bolivar

rich.......Monte

leathery....Upmann

floral....RyJ

recommend petit corona size, more time to explore and best stick to exhibit the style.......

look for older sticks if you can find an intact box, do not trust the shelf stock to be original..........

This. Go with Bolivar if strenght is the main point. I just picked up things out of your names before.

One thing I wouldn't count out completely is your tastes changing over time.

When I started I preferred medium strength, moved to full strength, and developed a taste for the seco leaf later on as my palate grew. You might want to buy a single box of say QdO coronas or ERDM CX to bury in the humi for a few years. Anything from the Le Hoyo line would work for this as well.

I wish I had started stashing boxes at the beginning. I'd be smoking sticks from the 90's if I had!

Have an awesome trip, and I can't wait to see all the pics! Your last pics were awesome!

His point was simply try more things instead of focusing on the rare ones I guess

This. Go with Bolivar if strenght is the main point. I just picked up things out of your names before.

His point was simply try more things instead of focusing on the rare ones I guess

Thanks again Subport, I have already tried a few from the Bolivar line and enjoyed them all :) I will be sure to seek new cigars to try with as broad and open mind as possible and will hopefully find some 'customs' to bring back along with some new flavours to put in the Humi. Cheers! I greatly appreciate the tips!

One thing I wouldn't count out completely is your tastes changing over time.

When I started I preferred medium strength, moved to full strength, and developed a taste for the seco leaf later on as my palate grew. You might want to buy a single box of say QdO coronas or ERDM CX to bury in the humi for a few years. Anything from the Le Hoyo line would work for this as well.

I wish I had started stashing boxes at the beginning. I'd be smoking sticks from the 90's if I had!

Have an awesome trip, and I can't wait to see all the pics! Your last pics were awesome!

Rye your words of wisdom are very true. On this trip to Cuba I am looking to bring back some different selections to place in the humi mostly for smoking in the very near future and not for aging. That being said I will take your advice and find a box on the lighter side of the scale that I know i'll likely not touch (because of my current preference for med-strong smokes) and will hopefully discover later down the road that my palate will have learned to appreciate and understand the milder profile.

And thanks for the kind compliments on my pics! I am definitely bringing the camera gear with me and although we wont be venturing (unfortunately because of how long it would take) to Trinidad/Cienfuegos, we will try to do at least one excursion into a closer town for some local Cuban food and hopefully I can get some good shots outside the resort.

strong.....Bolivar

rich.......Monte

leathery....Upmann

floral....RyJ

Thanks for the suggestions Garbandz! Ihaven't yet had a Monte other than the Monte 5 so I lok forward to exploring that Marca a bit more. Same goes for the Upmann. I will be also testing out some more PC sized based on your tip that they would exhibit more of the profile. And I'll keep my eyes open for any aged intact boxes. :)

Cheers!

Cayo Santa Maria will have a very basic selection. Be careful with quality, as mold and beetles are far from uncommon. Finding customs from the rollers mentioned above will be very, very difficult. Good luck in your hunt. Bolivar, Punch, RG, a few Partagas. Youll figure it out quickly I bet.

If you like a flavour profile on the stronger side, definitely try the Bolivar BF or RC.

Thanks! I have been lucky to have the opportunity to have tried the RC and a BBF and loved both. Just wanting to dip into other marcas and varieties within that i have not yet tried that offer some spice in the retrohale :)

There are no real strong cigars in the Hoyo, JL and Upmann lines

RyJ: Cazadores

Punch: Punch Punch

Thanks Smallclub, i appreciate it. I will be trying both the Cazadores and the Punch Punch when there for sure and look forward to exploring the HUpmann line more and likely trying a JL for the first time just to see what else is offered. So far with the Hdm i've tried, yes they have all been very smooth and mild which though i enjoyed them, i felt at the time there was something missing.

Cayo Santa Maria will have a very basic selection. Be careful with quality, as mold and beetles are far from uncommon. Finding customs from the rollers mentioned above will be very, very difficult. Good luck in your hunt. Bolivar, Punch, RG, a few Partagas. Youll figure it out quickly I bet.

Thanks for the heads up and well wishes for my search Shlomo, i appreciate it. I'll be sure to check closley before i buy, and anything i bring home i'll be freezing for the recommended amount. I am not familiar with the custom rolls world at all, but if there is a roller outside that LCDH i wont pass up the opportunity to bring some if thise rolls home. I am very excited now to try the Punch Punch and the Punch line after so many have mentioned it as a good choice.

Buy some singles from the legit stores there to sample to see what you like and go from there

Also consider picking up some customs as well....thats what I concentrated on since I could get 99% of the normal production here in the States guaranteed

The customs were the goal of mine since they are harder to obtain stateside, not sure where you live but just my two cents

Bart

• Like 1

I usually pick up a dozen singles once I'm settled (Cohiba Robustos, Upmann 46s, etc). Always try and have 6 to 12 good ones at a time. I also always pick a mazo of peso cigars for when I'm out walking and don't have time to sit down and enjoy a good cigar. It also has the added benefit of keeping the "hey my frens" away as they see you smoking a peso cigar and assume you aren't gonna buy their crap when you've already figures out you can get 25 decent cigars for 1cuc.

As far as bringing back cigars, I would save room in the suitcase for nothing but custom rolled goodness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk