Adding water to your single malt

Skyfall

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious....

Do you prefer to add water to your single malt?

Why or Why not?

If yes, how much do you prefer?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put a splash (about a teaspoon) per ounce. Blasphemy? I find this releases a more nuanced and accessible nose. Wilkey

i would like to propose that as the official motto for FOH!

How do you not add water when you add ice?

I'm a no, I prefer the taste and nose pure and not diluted.

• Like 1

No water! Two ice cubes only! Why take a perfectly good CC and add a filter on it. Same concept. A good single malt or blend should be sipped not gulped and chilled not watered down.

Only my opinion.

Now a very nice cognac should be warmed by a flame to the glass.

I usually gravitate toward a few drops of water.

When I get something new Ill try it plain and then try it with some water to see which I like more.

But in the end Its your whiskey, drink it however you want! :)

• Like 1

I put a splash (about a teaspoon) per ounce. Blasphemy? I find this releases a more nuanced and accessible nose.

Wilkey

Same here and no blasphemy at all as a tiny splash of water does soften the spirit a bit and opens up the bouquet of aromas.

Adding Ice on the other hand would harm the drink since it will get too cold and your taste buds will get a bit numbed and ice will melt and dilute the drink with too much water.

Its worth noting that some bottles that are way too smooth(at least to my mind) would get too bland with even the slightest amount of water such as Johnny Bleu label.

• Like 3

No water! Two ice cubes only! Why take a perfectly good CC and add a filter on it. Same concept. A good single malt or blend should be sipped not gulped and chilled not watered down.

Only my opinion.

Now a very nice cognac should be warmed by a flame to the glass.

How do you not add water when you add ice?

• Like 4

i know, from speaking to a few master distillers, that they find it most acceptable and most, if not all, do it. possibly not always but it is not the blasphemy some think.

that said, i never do. i add a cube or two of ice. as they melt, similar effect but i find it allows me the opportunity to initially get the flavour/impact of an undiluted spirit and then later, a slightly different one as the melted ice releases more flavours.

• Like 1

The issue with is ice is that cools the scotch and a colder liquid numbs your taste buds. I said no but a little distilled water with a cask strength whiskey is likely fine. I almost always only drink my whisky with a glass.

If you like it with water or ice then fine as after all it is your whiskey and your taste.

I tend to taste/sniff the Scotch undiluted and then add a couple of drops (perhaps a bit more for Cask strength).

It opens up the bouquet and flavor profile.

Never ice with single malts though I do with blended.

As the Scots say, a wee bit of water is fine, just don't drown the whisky.

• Like 4

I used to add a couple drops or a single cube, but I quit that years ago. I much prefer the un-diluted flavours and have grown to love even a cask strength in it's pure and neat form.

I voted no, but depending on the whiskey, I will add a drop or two of water. The water can open up the flavor. Ice? No way. It cools the drink and mutes the flavors.

Same here and no blasphemy at all as a tiny splash of water does soften the spirit a bit and opens up the bouquet of aromas.

Adding Ice on the other would harm the drink since it will get too cold and your taste buds will get a bit a bit numbed and ice will melt and dilute the drink with too much water.

Its worth noting that some bottles that are way too smooth(at least to my mind) would get too blacnd with even the slightest amount of water such as Johnny Bleu label.

I fully agree. Another example is Collingwood, a Canadian whisky I picked up at duty free. A very mild whisky. Just the merest hint of moisture and it turns utterly insipid.

Wilkey

I like mine just below room temp with a drop of water, so what I do is drop in a filtered water ice cube and stir it with my finger for about 10 seconds, then pull the ice out and set it aside for a little replay when the dram is done.

Generally no, although on the odd occasion I will add a drop to the cask strength stuff!

i know, from speaking to a few master distillers, that they find it most acceptable and most, if not all, do it. possibly not always but it is not the blasphemy some think.

that said, i never do. i add a cube or two of ice. as they melt, similar effect but i find it allows me the opportunity to initially get the flavour/impact of an undiluted spirit and then later, a slightly different one as the melted ice releases more flavours.

This.