Adding water to your single malt

Skyfall

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never actually added water to any scotch I've ever had, though I do use one ice cube every now and again. My wifey bought me some of those fancy granite drink chillers (since I like the cold flavor, but don't necessarily like it watered down), but they seemed rather strange in the glass... didn't really retain the chill for very long at all and seemed more gimmicky than anything else.

Hi Greg

If you do ever experiment, add half a teaspoon at a time.and make sure you don't use a tumbler, ideally a glencairn glass or a sherry copita.

But we all enjoy our whisky in different ways of course :)

Cheers

G

So, I voted "no" because I bet 90% of the time it's just neat.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put a splash (about a teaspoon) per ounce. Blasphemy? I find this releases a more nuanced and accessible nose. Wilkey

i would like to propose that as the official motto for FOH!

How do you not add water when you add ice?

Hi Greg

If you do ever experiment, add half a teaspoon at a time.and make sure you don't use a tumbler, ideally a glencairn glass or a sherry copita.

But we all enjoy our whisky in different ways of course smile.png

Cheers

G

I drink my scotch from one of these:

kieliszek_logo_balvenie.jpg

Even my non-Balvenie varieties. But don't tell anyone. smile.png

I'll try your suggestion some time just to see what difference it makes. Nothing wrong at all with drinking scotch in the name of science. SCIENCE!

I continue to experiment with my whiskey collection - mainly to see what happens when I do.

However, I find I am consistently drawn to the flavour, aroma and mouthfeel of whiskey that is 'neat' and I have a strong prefernce to actually warm it up in the same way as cognac or brandy. I have found that cooling the whiskey in any way whatsoever really closes the profile and mutes it.

I thouroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet tried it.

I'll try your suggestion some time just to see what difference it makes. Nothing wrong at all with drinking scotch in the name of science. SCIENCE!

Indeed. Nice glass btw.

Was at an official tasting of Ardbeg here in Barcelona and was told by a guy to try a wee dram with distilled water. Now, I'm drinking whiskey a few years and never heard of this....anyone??

I prefer mine without water with one to two ice cubes. cheers.

Was at an official tasting of Ardbeg here in Barcelona and was told by a guy to try a wee dram with distilled water. Now, I'm drinking whiskey a few years and never heard of this....anyone??

I prefer mine without water with one to two ice cubes. cheers.

curious to learn...........what are your ice cubes made of?

from a purely scientific standpoint I will try a few drops of water in a single malt if it tastes tight or if the proof is too high for me to enjoy it.

sometimes water opens the nose and softens the impact to the palate.sometimes water simply dilutes the flavors,so I do not use it in really old malts.

I have tried the product of 130 + different distilleries,some silent now,some very new,and some gone altogether .

If you count different expressions(purveyors,ages,finishes) of single malts,perhaps I have tried 200.........

Age does not improve all of them,finishing in fancy barrels can be a waste of good spirit,and marketing adds to the cost but not to the value.

Private providers can create extraordinary bottles,distilleries can sell disgusting bottles/single casks......

• 1 month later...

That's be a Glencairn glass mate...the traditional and ideal whisky tasting glass. Got a set myself.

• Like 2

I voted for water even though I usually don't add it I will sometimes add a drop of water if I find the flavours muted or if it's a new SM to me and I want to compare how it tastes with and without.

I remember a tasting I attended years ago and the professional instructing our group provided us with water to add a drop and compare the change in taste. I recall preferring some SMs with a drop of water, as it opened the bouquet of some of them.

So, picked up a bottle of Bruichladdich Islay Barley Rockside Farm. Unpeated, 6 years aged, 50% ABV

Pure golden dram goodness, went straight out at first. Whew, v. nice but that's a touch hot.

Couple drops of spring water, opens up nicely, heats drops a few degrees, lovely dram....given I must disagree with 'never' adding a touch of water, so long as you don't drown the Whisky as the Scots in the pub at the Dalmahoy in Edinburgh advised (quite after the bar closed and we were imbibing our own bottles - tis true, they wear nothing under the kilt!) surprised.gif

Perhaps I should be drinking a different Whisky shead.gif

Drink less,

What's fun about that???????/

party.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Never.

I've found a neat trick before drinking cask strength. Use it as chaser for everclear.

Everclear really helps to refresh, clean, and completely sanitise the mouth. Wait 10 seconds, then taste the cask strength liquor in question.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

• 2 weeks later...

A topic close to my heart.

A little glossary clarity first. SCOTCH is something that comes after butter or is part of a children's hoping game.

WHISKY is the way it's spelt and the 'E' is like ice, best left out or mixed with coke.

Best water story I have comes from the Talisker distillery.

While enjoying a wee dram there in 2000, the distiller offered me a small jug of brown water and suggested a few drops.

It was the same peaty water drawn from the spring that goes into the whisky.

Changed everything.

The chlorinated, fluorinated, out of the tap stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

But if you like the taste imparted by a few drops then do it.

• 1 month later...

So my distiller suggests adding water to my single malt.

From the back label:

"We recommend that you add twice as much water as whiskey to fully appreciate the taste characteristics of Original Cask Strength Laphraoig"

Seriously! huh.png

I imagine you'd barely taste the whiskey with that much dilution. So what I did, I added twice as much water as I generally do. 4 drops instead of 2!