Adding water to your single malt

Skyfall

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put a splash (about a teaspoon) per ounce. Blasphemy? I find this releases a more nuanced and accessible nose. Wilkey

i would like to propose that as the official motto for FOH!

How do you not add water when you add ice?

All depends what kind of SM I am drinking. Anything below 46% I rarely water other than to perhaps experiment to see it it improves the experience.

Cask strength SMs are improved with a little water. Just don't drawn them. Add a little and sip. Anything around 48% to 50% requires very little.

I have the Aberlour A'bundadh batch 47 right now at 60.7%. Straight it is enjoyable in tiny sips but tastes a lot better taking less reserved sips having added a little water.

I used to be in the "over my dead body" camp and never add water as with hindsight I used to believe it was unmanly to wimp put with water.

I respect those who prefer to drink SM neat so long as they are not so ignorant as to have never experimented with adding a little water. Got no time for those who refuse to countenance adding water and say they like it best straight.

Pretty much agree 100% here. I try not to dilute below 40% and most scotch is bottled at 43% or higher, so a couple drops is literally just that. A'bundadh changes noticeably depending on the dilution.

• 1 month later...

If you want it chilled, whiskey stones are your best bet. Cools it down without diluting......

Yea it depends on the malt. That being said, I don't add more than a teaspoon worth usually. Of

course, the more drunk I am the less I care and the less a diffference it makes lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I will put frozen whiskey stones in to chill it and depending on the drink at that point I may or may not add a teaspoon or 2.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to use 2 ice cubes when I'm having bookers bourbon. Forget what the exact figure is but it's just under 65%.

Fierce didn't even begin to describe that bourbon. I prefer cask strength scotch and bourbon but man this stuff kicks my ass and takes names.

The only whisky I've tried that I would never put water in is ORVW 107. For my palette, a couple drops to a spoonful of water, depending on the spirit, opens up the flavors and makes it more enjoyable to drink.

Always try new spirits neat though

• 4 weeks later...

The good thing is that there is no right or wrong way to drink whisky.

I drink cask strength single malts for the most part and add water in small increments until I get the flavor profile that I like.

I use an eye dropper if I remember it or a straw placed in a water glass they I seal with my finger at the top and then add drops to taste. When I go to Keens in Manhattan where they have some 200 whiskies I had them bring me water in a cream pitcher and now they do that for everybody. I find that most whisky improves with a little water.

What I would highly recommend is taking a small sip, tilting your head back and letting the whisky roll to the back and sides of the tongue' taking in some air while you do so. It looks strange but really intensifies and enhances the flavor of the whisky.

Slainte!