Storage, smoke time, CC/NC, plugged vs too wet or dry, beetles

Please redirect me if I'm repeating another topic as I know there are many topics on storage.

I've seen many suggest CC's store best closer to 65F/65RH and NC's 70F/70RH. And I know much related to this topic is subjective, however, as I've lowered my temperature and humidity closer to 65/65 I feel like my Opus and Anejo are smoking much faster and also some Monte2 that were stored at 70/70 when I first smoked a few of them, and they also seem to have lost a little flavor character. There were more burn issues at 70/70 but I miss the flavor. And I got almost three hours from the first Monte2's and often smoked 2.1/2 hours from several Opus. Now I'm thinking 1.1/2 to 2 hours max on any of them.

So is there really that much more risk of beetle hatching at 70/70? Is a plugged cigar more of a moisture issue when it was rolled vs storage? Do we lose flavor and time at dryer storage with either CC or NC?

Well I used to say it is not rock science. But then guys are coming telling me the exact opposite with facts and experience.

But the main thing is: you should just do what you like and how you like it.

I don't think there is a huge risk at 70/70. When temp goes 80,90,100F that is something.

Btw I feel all the way around. When my cubans were stored at 68-70% rh /70F it was way more muted in flavours than now at 64-65rh/66F. And now I have started even dry boxing them before I smoke and just love what I got out of it.

Stick with the one you like thats it. It is all about you and your taste and your journey.

Of course wait till the more experienced mates are coming, they're going to explain and prove it with facts.

P

*if you are affraid of beetles why don't you just freeze the boxes? It will put down the risk lower however there is always a chance :)

• Like 1

Interesting question... I am no expert by any means. However, my experience has been the opposite of yours for the most part. I have always thought that you get more flavor from a cigar that has been kept more on the dry side. That is why people will sometimes keep them in a "dry box" for a day or two before smoking a cigar maintained at a higher humidity.

Three hours seems like a really long time to me for a Monte 2. 1.5 hours seems closer to the norm for me, but I am no expert like I said . I have smoked too fast from time to time in the past. Three hours just really seems like a lot.

If you are concerned about beetles you can try freezing them. You just need to make sure your freezer is cold enough, and the duration is long enough, to be effective.

Good luck.

So is there really that much more risk of beetle hatching at 70/70?

99% of the humidors in cigar shops in France are set up at 70-72% or more, without temperature control, and you never hear about beetles (mould being another issue...).

• Like 1

Humidity is all to taste mate. Humidity will effect mould growth, temperature will effect beetle growth. If you want to look at it from a purely simplistic view.

If your sticks are stored at a reasonable temperature they will be fine, if the humidity is within the 65-72 range they will be fine. The rest is up to you and how you like it. If you want your sticks at 40rh or 80rh, thats up to you. Whatever floats your boat. This is a hobby about YOUR enjoyment, no one elses. Do what you enjoy, don't do what others are ding simply because they tel you to.

If you liked the old way then go back to it. You tried out drier sticks and it wasn't for you. There's no harm in admitting that. You can atleast say you gave it a shot, and you personally didnt liek it. End of story.

Enjoy.

I kind of figured it was mostly subjective but I have noticed with my loose leaf tobacco that some tobacco take on moisture so much quicker than other tobacco that's why I question the CC vs NC storage difference

I know of a few guys who base their storage humidity on the type of wrapper, i.e. storing cameroon wrapped cigars at a higher Rh due to their fragility and maduros at a lower Rh (or I might have that backwards). I keep all of mine at between 65 and 70, typically they stay around 67, 68 and I have had not had any problems, but I'm still fairly new to the hobby. My biggest worry is mold, but being in the US Pacific Northwest that's not just limited to my humi's!

Our warehouse uses commercial Honeywell systems to control both humidity and temp. It is the same setup as most commercial private wine storage facilities. We also have plumbed in dehumidifier units set at 68% RH. At times when it rains for a week or two on end, they prove flawless in taking the excess moisture out of the air.

Found this one from Rob, I was curious what he kept his stock at, but it doesn't say what temperature, anybody know?

I can pick up more flavors when NCs kept around 70RH, but at 70RH I have draw and burn issues with CCs; also some CCs taste sour. My NC humidor has 68-72RH, and my CC humidor is kept between 65-68RH.

I only dry box if I anticipate draw or burn issues from cold draw or ambient air has high humidity.

Found this one from Rob, I was curious what he kept his stock at, but it doesn't say what temperature, anybody know?

Varies

For the locker room 16 degrees Celsius, 64-65% RH

For the Walk in Humidor 18 degrees Celsius 65% RH.

Warehouse runs at 17 degrees Cesius 67% RH.

It takes you three hours to smoke a monte 2?!?!?

I have had at least two of them go 2 hours 50 minutes and if I would have stuck with the nub a bit longer they would have gone 3...I see Skyfall doesn't believe it either :) but that was at 70/70, a good pull a minute

Like you say, much is subjective. The numbers don't mean much as long as u are within a range. Stability is far more important.

3 hours is pretty crazy. I'm generally a slow smoker, but that's a big commitment to a pyramid.

• Like 1

Varies

Thanks Rob, I'm sure PigFish covers this in one of his books :) but I assume there's some magic, you're longer storage has less humidity lower temperature and must produce the most flavor and overall flavor in the smoke from your experience?

Varies

Since I've got just a few riding there I'm liking the locker room stats!