Romeo y Julieta

I have only smoked a few RyJ and they were kind of forgettable. With the Prez stating their recent upswing in quality, I was wondering what the general public has ranked as the best pound for pound RyJ is at the moment. I am very courious about the Cazadores, because I love the size, but I am curious about the whole line(there is a lot to choose from). Thanks for the help!

I'm quite interested to see the replies to this as well! I've had quite a few RyJ's - generally bought the tubos editions as I wanted to try them without buying a box (and didn't have the money). Always thought they were OK - but I much prefer my full flavour cigars and these have always been quite mild-medium.

More recently I did have one of the RyJ Churchills but...having cost me nearly £25 for one it seemed way over-priced for the enjoyment I got out of it.

Perhaps I'm a little jaded and just not had some of the very good ones as I have heard some excellent reviews out there for them!

RyJ No.2 - Staple in my humidor... I'm actually out of those right now. Should get some more, actually... Don't feel bad about chucking them half way. Don't feel badly about giving them to your mates. The king of cheap and cheerful!!

Love them because: Cheap, ALWAYS consistent, comes with shitty tubes that close 50% of the time, pieces of cedar, pretty.

Baseline Cost: $110-180 per 25

RyJ Churchill-T - Staple in my humidor. Pretty pleasant mildness without age: absolutely AMAZING with age. Better than most with only 1 year on it. I've personally found an intense difference between the Churchill tubed and untubed. See that conversation here:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117841&hl=

Love them because: one of the cheaper Churchills out there. Reminds me of the aged Punch Churchills without the kick in the gnards past the final third. Found everywhere. Always consistent. Tubes are absolutely gorgeous. Cedar again.

Baseline Cost: $325~ per 25. $200~ per 15

RyJ Petit Julieta - Amazing small winter smokes. Cute little ones to start off your smoking in the summer too. Lasts 15-30 minutes for some. It's taken me an hour to smoke these before.

Love them because: They're cute, what can i say? Takes up negligible room for cigar tetris. Retailers normally have them between '06 and '09 box codes. Almost no one buys them. I understand that if this message reaches everyone, they'd probably all run out to buy them. Calm down. Save some for me wink.png

Baseline Cost: $70-100 per 25

RyJ Wide Churchill - I rarely rave about cigars over 46 in ring gauge. This is an exception. I chose one of these over a Connie A the other day. Didn't regret it at all! Churchill flavour in the Wide variety. Something about the extra blend just makes it rave-worthy.

Love them because: They're not the Short Churchill

Baseline Cost: $250-320 per 25

• Like 1

Note: i'm sure many people will disagree with me on the Petit Julietas... But i've found them to be amazing! (from the 06 and 08 box codes, anyways)

Many people will probably disagree with my Wide Churchill claim as well... Say what you want, but at least the Wide Churchill doesn't have a state of permanent sickness!! The short churchills smell so good... i just can't believe they would taste so god awful!!

its not my favorite marca but I have a couple of boxes of exhibicion #4's from our host that are very good and some churchills that I am waiting on which also look good. quality overall is certainly way up in the last year or two

Hmmm...I've not tried the Wide Churchill. Might have to give that one a go! Just checked the UK store I always used to use...£439.99 for a box of 25!!!!!!!!!! *****INT - $xxx.xx (roughly £xxx) I mean...I know that's before any tobacco duty on the import but that's a MASSIVE price difference!

RyJ No.2 - Staple in my humidor... I'm actually out of those right now. Should get some more, actually... Don't feel bad about chucking them half way. Don't feel badly about giving them to your mates. The king of cheap and cheerful!!

Love them because: Cheap, ALWAYS consistent, comes with shitty tubes that close 50% of the time, pieces of cedar, pretty.

Cost: $110-180 per 25

RyJ Churchill-T - Staple in my humidor. Pretty pleasant mildness without age: absolutely AMAZING with age. Better than most with only 1 year on it. I've personally found an intense difference between the Churchill tubed and untubed. See that conversation here:

Love them because: one of the cheaper Churchills out there. Reminds me of the aged Punch Churchills without the kick in the gnards past the final third. Found everywhere. Always consistent. Tubes are absolutely gorgeous. Cedar again.

Cost: $325~ per 25. $200~ per 15

RyJ Petit Julieta - Amazing small winter smokes. Cute little ones to start off your smoking in the summer too. Lasts 15-30 minutes for some. It's taken me an hour to smoke these before.

Love them because: They're cute, what can i say? Takes up negligible room for cigar tetris. Retailers normally have them between '06 and '09 box codes. Almost no one buys them. I understand that if this message reaches everyone, they'd probably all run out to buy them. Calm down. Save some for me wink.png

Cost: $70-100 per 25

RyJ Wide Churchill - I rarely rave about cigars over 46 in ring gauge. This is an exception. I chose one of these over a Connie A the other day. Didn't regret it at all! Churchill flavour in the Wide variety. Something about the extra blend just makes it rave-worthy.

Cost: $250-320 per 25

Any difference in the Wide Churchills A/T and the dress box variety given you preference for the Churchill versions?

Any difference in the Wide Churchills A/T and the dress box variety given you preference for the Churchill versions?

I'ver personally never tried any Wide Churchills in tubes before. couldn't tell you, sorry...

By upswing in RyJ quality, do you mean that it's because you're smoking D4's or Epi #2 instead of Short Churchills? And so on and so forth?

Hmmmm...

he said that prez said that there was an upswing in quality of the RyJs. perhaps he means that the Prez said RyJs have been getting better compared to other RyJs in recent years.

not, rather, compared to other marcas in general.

Hmmmm...

he said that prez said that there was an upswing in quality of the RyJs. perhaps he means that the Prez said RyJs have been getting better compared to other RyJs in recent years.

not, rather, compared to other marcas in general.

Exactly haha!

IMHO, the Exhibition 4s have been the best thing from RyJ over the last year+. And what I've had is from 12 and 13. So approachable and I'm guessing with another 3-4 years these will be outstanding. I'm smoking one now just to make sure I believe it and I do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Baseline Cost: $110-180 per 25

Baseline Cost: $325~ per 25. $200~ per 15

Baseline Cost: $70-100 per 25

Baseline Cost: $250-320 per 25

Great write up thanks.

I have to say I'm partial to Wide Churchills. I have been joying some tubos lately LTB Abr 13 and expect they'll get better if I can lay off.

For six years up until 2013 my opening of boxes for R&J (in general would be)

Crap, Crap, Good, Crap, Crap, Good, Crap, Crap, good...repeat.

2013 to now.

Good, good, excellent, good, crap, excellent, good, good, crap, excellent, repeat.

Short Churchills are the only ones that have dropped away in quality.

The Cazadores are one of my all time favorite cigars. Great flavor. Great construction. Great size. Recently got a box of No. 2's. For the price they are hard to beat. I've found from those who don't smoke a lot to people like me who do that they all enjoy them. What I like most about them is they are good first thing in the morning with coffee or in the evening after a big meal. Bolivar is my favorite but they have there time and place to be smoked due to their strength but not with Romeos.

Never been disappointed by a Churchill A/T or a Cazadore. Classic Habanos.

I also love the lower end smokes, like Mille Fleurs, Coronitas en Cedro, Sports Largos, Londres Finos, etc.

Good young, great with some age.

The current crop of PCs are amazing.

I currently like and have always liked:

Ex #4

Cazzie

Churchill

Short Church

Wide Church

Above all the rest though....THE DUKE!!!!!

• Like 1

Hmmm...I've not tried the Wide Churchill. Might have to give that one a go! Just checked the xyz store I always used to use...£xyz for a box of 25!!!!!!!!!! *****INT - xyz (roughly £xyz) I mean...I know that's before any tobacco duty on the import but that's a MASSIVE price difference!

Just a gentle reminder -

no prices no sources (FOH 7 Commandments Rule #5).

the more we keep it tidy the better for us. Thanks.

Cheers!