Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

Reading David Baldacci's The Target (Will Robie series) now. Have been alternating between Greg Iles' books and Baldacci. I think I am going to start Baldacci's Camel Club series as it is located in Washington, DC.

I will check out Brett's Warded Man series!

Thanks!

• Like 1

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

Reading David Baldacci's The Target (Will Robie series) now. Have been alternating between Greg Iles' books and Baldacci. I think I am going to start Baldacci's Camel Club series as it is located in Washington, DC.

I will check out Brett's Warded Man series!

Thanks!

Just know the 5th and supposedly final book is not due out until 2018. Found out only when I was halfway through book 4. Frustrating.

Anyone looking forward to the new novel "Purity" by Jonothan Franzen?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so pleased to see another vote for 1Q84. just an extraordinary book. the only negative for it being a holiday read is that you don't ant to do anything but read the thing.

will have a look for cloud atlas.

Thanks to this forum I'm halfway through 1Q84 (pg 500). Love it.

If you want an action packed, fantasy (demons), very broad range of characters, yet all with good depth, I suggest Peter V Brett's Warded Man series. Finishing up the 4th book now. I have even started using some of the unique dialect created for the novel's in my everyday life.

Wonderful!

Anybody ever read anything by Sherrilynn Kenyon? Thinking of starting one of her series in the next couple of days.

shlomo, thanks - will definitely try him.

have tried a few different series lately. started the mazalan/stephen erikson series and gave up. all felt a little pointless.

two i think you mentioned - patrick rothfuss's kingkiller chronicles. recently finished the first one. immediately ordered the second. terrific stuff.

joe abercrombie. first law series. finished the first and immediately on the 2nd. loving it.

anyone tried the brandon sanderson mistborn series? thinking of having a look at them soon.

also read some more dennis lehane. seriously good. always. and also the incorrigible optimists club by JM Guenassia. relly worthwhile.

shlomo, thanks - will definitely try him.

have tried a few different series lately. started the mazalan/stephen erikson series and gave up. all felt a little pointless.

two i think you mentioned - patrick rothfuss's kingkiller chronicles. recently finished the first one. immediately ordered the second. terrific stuff.

joe abercrombie. first law series. finished the first and immediately on the 2nd. loving it.

anyone tried the brandon sanderson mistborn series? thinking of having a look at them soon.

also read some more dennis lehane. seriously good. always. and also the incorrigible optimists club by JM Guenassia. relly worthwhile.

I am an Abercrombie as well as Rothfuss fan boy for sure. Wonderful storytellers.

Just finished Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. Not as good as the First Law, but certainly worth the small time commitment. They are fairly short books.

• Like 1

Cant wait to read Go Set A Watchman. To Kill a Mockingbird was my favorite book as a kid.

Just finished that one a little while back. It was less polished than Mockingbird but I like it a lot, very interesting window into a very turbulent period of our history.

I burned through "The Martian" while doing a 22 hour sleep study. I wasn't sure if the book was that gripping or the clinical isolation fit with the subject matter. My wife and sister confirmed it is a good read even if you are not wired from head to toe with biomeds.

I burned through "The Martian" while doing a 22 hour sleep study. I wasn't sure if the book was that gripping or the clinical isolation fit with the subject matter. My wife and sister confirmed it is a good read even if you are not wired from head to toe with biomeds.

+1 but without the biomeds. A surprisingly good read, good science and entertaining. I'm in two minds about seeing the movie though.

• 10 months later...

I was glued to the pages of
One Second After by Wlliam R. Forstchen.
It is about a surprise EMP attack on the U.S.A and particularly how it affects residents of a small North Carolina town.
What makes this book so interesting IMO is the detailed account of the aftermath and how society begins to 'change' after the attack.

37 minutes ago, Pinareno said:

I was glued to the pages of
One Second After by Wlliam R. Forstchen.
It is about a surprise EMP attack on the U.S.A and particularly how it affects residents of a small North Carolina town.
What makes this book so interesting IMO is the detailed account of the aftermath and how society begins to 'change' after the attack.

Agreed.  I read that book earlier this year and it is definitely a page tuner.  After reading this book you definitely take a step back when you walk down a busy city street and see everyone glued to their phones.  In a world were we automated everything, this book makes you realized how much we have really lost those core skills to produce as a society.  It also is a good lesson civics and how governments form and evolve and the hard choices those in those roles may have to make.  I know some of the stuff in this book is a bit of stretch, but it does really make you step back and look at your life when you consider this is a real threat.

I also read the sequel to this book, One Year After.  If you are curious about what happens to the characters one year after the EMP attack it may be a good read.  It does lack the strong plot that makes the first novel such a page turner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...