Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

Wow, this is quite some heavy metal reading! Love it and copied into my amazon wish list.

Maybe another interesting one: Anthony Keadis' Scar Tissue

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I have Scar Tissue, but haven't read it yet.....so couldn't put it on the list, I've heard good things though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

18774964._UY475_SS475_.jpg

Read this over the Easter break, a little heart wrenching but if you're a mans man it's a good read to give you perspective on life.

I heard really good things about this book.

Just finished

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower book #3)

Just finished book 3

Didn't enjoy it as much as book 2, 2nd part of book about I didn't care for, it was interesting, I just didn't care about the character I wanted to keep reading about Roland, Eddie and Susanna.

Once that part was over though it became interesting again and man what a cliffhanger!!!

Onto book 4

I have a neat idea, let's all add our Goodreads names, so we can follow/recommend/encourage each other....What'd say?

Mine is

Mickey Tompkins

Finished book #4, and I think I'm finished with this series,it really upset me.

Now reading A Confederacy Of Dunces

Under and alone was a decent read 

Started read the Prey series by John Sanford made it to the 7th book and it started dragging on maybe one day I will pick up again 

Now looking for a copy of A Murder in Paradise By RicharGehman that is not ridiculously overpriced 

Guest gorob23

as  a few others have said, "Chickenhawk"  I friend I met in Cuba recommended it and it was amazing and I would also say "Flags of Our Fathers" both should be on all bookshelves IMHO. Those that fight for their country are real men and women.

Those that fight for mine Thank you all 

Rob 

Roughly two thirds of the way through Caveat Emptor - The Secret Life of an American Art Forger.

Thoroughly engrossing. Love this quote: "Auction houses are notoriously devious institutions and should never be trusted"

P.S. Author - Ken Perenyi

Finished A Confederacy Of Dunces, enjoyed it, didn't love it.

Just started

127ec0ebebb46ba03731560122c6a56f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i'm a huge fan of confederacy. loved it. go back to it every so often.

I felt cheated Ken, no closure.

7 hours ago, helix said:

The Cry of the Halidon  an old Robert Ludlum thriller 1974 I believe , good to get back into that genre .

i think my first ludlum was 'the scarlatti inheritence'? not sure if i have the title exact. we did it as a book review when i was about grade 9 or 10, i think. not the usual book for school. i read every ludlum i could find, the moment they hit the shelves. for many years. him and wilbur smith.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Lisey's Story, and have now started

Seen the film when it came out in the theaters, and still watch it periodically.... Hoping the book is as good. 5ba3785909e488b6ebbfe5507e423f93.jpg

7 hours ago, irratebass said:

Seen the film when it came out in the theaters, and still watch it periodically.... Hoping the book is as good. 5ba3785909e488b6ebbfe5507e423f93.jpg

an absolute classic. could not count the number of times i have read this. i'm sure we have all seen people who can quote large chunks of monty python or derek and clyde - most of my mates could quote large chunks of this. we still do (isn't that embarrassing). i think i read everything hunter thompson ever wrote. he did go off the boil in later years after he'd fried his mind but in the early days, brilliant.

i have a copy of fear and loathing signed by ralph steadman (the illustrator). met him at a signing in london (a signing for something else but i'd brought my tattered old copy of F&L). he signed it with a big flourish and told me it was on behalf of the good doctor. we chatted for a bit, i asked him a couple of questions, which he apparently didn't like,  and he turned into one of the greatest tossers i have ever met, told me to F off and had me thrown out. who the hell gets thrown out of a book signing? worse, who throws someone out for simply asking questions about the book?

• Like 2

I've read that book countless times, it never ceases to make me go "wow, I've been f'd up before, but I've never been that f'd up"

I read it every time I fly to Vegas. For the first time after 25-30 trips to Vegas I ran up to Circus Circus just because of this book. I had to see it in person.
  • Like 1

I've read that book countless times, it never ceases to make me go "wow, I've been f'd up before, but I've never been that f'd up"

I read it every time I fly to Vegas. For the first time after 25-30 trips to Vegas I ran up to Circus Circus just because of this book. I had to see it in person.

Ha ha, now thats a great review

The Conqueror series by conn iggulden

How in hell does a likely sheep herder build a nation from Moscow to Beijing and beyond.The story of Genghis Khan +

Ruthless, ever-changing dynamic. Not for the squeamish of hearts. 

Up to book 4 but highly recommended thus far. 

On 18/04/2017 at 10:03 PM, SirVantes said:

Of Tom Holland's works, I think his best is Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic. He really brought Caesar, Cicero and the power politics of the era to life.

For a broader tour of ancient Rome, Mary Beard's SPQR is thoroughly enjoyable.

On 18/04/2017 at 10:09 PM, David88 said:

I can second Mary Beard's SPQR. I thought it was very well done and was detailed enough despite being a more general history. 

SPQR? Sono Pazzi Questi Romani? :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i have a copy of fear and loathing signed by ralph steadman (the illustrator). met him at a signing in london (a signing for something else but i'd brought my tattered old copy of F&L). he signed it with a big flourish and told me it was on behalf of the good doctor. we chatted for a bit, i asked him a couple of questions, which he apparently didn't like,  and he turned into one of the greatest tossers i have ever met, told me to F off and had me thrown out. who the hell gets thrown out of a book signing? worse, who throws someone out for simply asking questions about the book?

Sorry to hear this.   I love Steadman's work.  We always hope people we admire in one facet of life are truly good (or at least OK) people in general.

- MG