Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

Just finished reading the War That Ended Peace. Written by Margaret Macmillan. It's about the causes leading up to WW1 and shows absolutely nothing has changed since then.

One can say the military industry can say has gotten worse.

Was a popular book last year, I remember. She used to be a professor at my university where her book garnished a lot of attention. Torontonian, mind you :D

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

"Carsick" by John Waters. Hilarious light read to counterbalance "Water Supply & Pollution Control," "Reinforced Concrete Design," "Numerical Analysis with MATLAB," and the manual for MathCad Prime 3.0.

The book that was the namesake for the cigar line which brought us arguably the finest Cuban torpedo on the planet- Montecristo No. 2. Finished this 1400+ page book over the summer. A simply incredible story which despite it's length was one I hated to see end. Have to explore some other of Dumas' works.

I have been into History recently. Re-read the classic The Best and The Brightest, about how the US got involved in Vietnam. The second on how Europe went to war in 1914, The SleepWalkers.In both one can see how easily countries can get involved in dangerous conflicts by following what they believe are well meaning policies.

The book that was the namesake for the cigar line which brought us arguably the finest Cuban torpedo on the planet- Montecristo No. 2. Finished this 1400+ page book over the summer. A simply incredible story which despite it's length was one I hated to see end. Have to explore some other of Dumas' works.

I am 1/3 into his work, it is a long journey!

Have you read The Stand?

One of my favourite King reads behind the Dark Tower series.

Read it about 20 years ago. One of my all-time favorites!

After The Shining and Doctor Sleep, I might dig that one out again and give it another go.

I gave The Gunslinger a shot in my early teens and found I didn't like it, so never went forward in the Dark Tower series. Will give that another chance soon also. Thanks for the reminder!

• 3 weeks later...

The Shining started so slow I was tempted to just put it down. Tought the movie far surpassed the book....then, King picked up his game and Jack Torrance's (Jack Nicholson in the movie) descent into madness became more and more riveting. What a GREAT book. As usual, puts the movie to shame (even though it is one of my all-time favorite scary flicks!)

Doctor Sleep hooked me from the first page. INCREDIBLE book so far. More than halfway done and I dont want it to end!

I'm currently reading War and Peace by Tolstoy. I'm enjoying it a lot. If you want to read it on vacation, however, it better be a long vacation. For more realistic reading material I second another poster's endorsement of the Smiley trilogy by John LeCarre. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy comes first, then The Honorable Schoolboy, then Smiley's'People. You have to take them in order. Or, better yet, sometime watch the BBC productions of the TTSS and SP, starring Alec Guinness as Smiley. They're still the best things I ever saw on television.

Ken I read the "Game of thrones Series" when they were put out progressively. Thoroughly enjoyed them. Never seen the TV series.

Best business book (and I have read hundreds), "What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School" By Mark McCormack, founder of IMG. Simple read but great.

For down time I love Sci Fi. Thanks for the many suggestions.

Check out The Martian by Andy Reid. Great sci-fi book I read recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only fifty or so pages into "The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System" by James Rickards (Penguin, 2014) and although I normally find this guy somewhat pessimistic, I have seen him present superbly in interviews on Australian ABC TV's 'The Business' programme (especially in relation to his previous book 'Currency Wars') and I thought this book might be worth getting from the library.

Well, it is, and although it might not qualify as the best book I have read in 2014 (that's a tough question), this book gets an honourable mention here due to the unprecedented access and collaboration that the author has had with the US Administration, CIA, Wall Street and the insight it gives into ongoing global development of financial cyber attacks on the international monetary system, which actors are instrumental, who is leading the race, how this effects investors large and small and how this has the potential to play out in the next decade with it's implications for US dollar denominated assets, our well-being and standard of living in Western countries and too many other areas to mention. Indeed, the sphere and scope of this book is so far-reaching and the author so straightforward, yet insightful and relying on the best intelligence and financial modelling available that even for an optimist like me, it makes for superb reading and I've still got 300 pages to go.

If you're investment minded as many on this forum seem to be, give this book a look and if you're unsure about this one, maybe read his previous book 'Currency Wars' as his printed observations have had time to play out so you can get a handle on his world view and how his perspectives might be helpful to your sense of international relations and politics, or, more importantly, the growth of your investment portfolio.

*flips two cents and walks away*

peace.gif

Doctor Sleep was outstanding, until the last 20 pages. Ugh, what a lame ending for such a great book.

Starting Mr. Popper's Penguins now, following it up with Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Was recommended to me. Anybody here read it?

Killing Hope - US Military & CIA Interventions Since WW2 by William Blum

Is the United States a force for democracy? In this classic and unique volume that answers this question, William Blum serves up a forensic overview of U.S. foreign policy spanning sixty years. For those who want the details on our most famous actions (Chile, Cuba, Vietnam, to name a few), and for those who want to learn about our lesser-known efforts (France, China, Bolivia, Brazil, for example), this book provides a window on what our foreign policy goals really are.

Very insightful, well researched, and something you can go back to as needed.

• 3 months later...

Doctor Sleep was outstanding, until the last 20 pages. Ugh, what a lame ending for such a great book.

Starting Mr. Popper's Penguins now, following it up with Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. Was recommended to me. Anybody here read it?

Oh dang, Just saw Oryx and Crake mentioned in my last post here....Started in December, finished 2 weeks ago....

Possibly the most terrible, least enjoyable, pain in the ass, anti-relaxation, confusing, pointless, lame book I have ever read.

AWFUL

'Here, There and Everywhere' by Geoff Emerick. This is the best book on the Beatles bar none. Alas, you have to be a musician to fully appreciate it as it contains technical information about recording, nevertheless, Emerick's insight and honesty into how the Beatles recorded their music is engrossing from beginning to end! 2thumbs.gif

well into 'cloud atlas'. very curious book. have absolutely loved some of it. not so much other parts. 6 threads which range from centuries ago in the south pacific to way into the future. a mate said he does not tie them together well but i know others disagree. be interested to see if he can. i have the 'bone clocks' lined up.

prior to that, ken follett's 'world without end'. should have been called 'book without end'. a sequel of sorts to 'pillars of the earth' which i loved, but it all felt like reading a 2nd version of pillars, rather than something different. but enjoyable enough to keep going, even if 1300 pages became a bit of a slog.

just ordered the latest christopher moore, the latest tom robbins, the first book in the malazan book of the fallen series by steven erikson, 'between meals - an appetite for paris' by aj leibling and 'defiance', which was the book the daniel craig film was based on. i had no idea about that part of history, so very keen to read it.

that should give me a week or two of good reading.

Shlomo says to post here:

"A Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaiken. It is a complete history of America's manned space flight and specifically, the Apollo program. I am reading it for the second time.