Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

Game of Thrones

The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Steven Donaldson one of the best fantasies trilogies I've ever read.

Game of Thrones

The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Steven Donaldson one of the best fantasies trilogies I've ever read.

Trilogy? You either have a lot more fun or work ahead of you with Thomas Covenant!

I read it perhaps more than a year ago, but the "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden was an amazing read about two Canadian Cree brothers in WWI.

Not sure what that means lol

It simply means he wrote a lot more books about Thomas Covenant. I've never run across a writer with his range of vocabulary and love of words I have to look up, either.

It simply means he wrote a lot more books about Thomas Covenant. I've never run across a writer with his range of vocabulary and love of words I have to look up, either.

Got it, ya he wrote a second trilogy that was good but nothing compares to the 1st IMO. As good as Lord of the Rings

@ken gargett enjoy Pillars of the Earth also.

I know it's a movie now and I haven't seen it but if you like american history/survival stories, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is really good. Vivid WW2 true story, she also wrote Seabiscuit about the famous KY derby horse.

• Like 1

Just finished reading the War That Ended Peace. Written by Margaret Macmillan. It's about the causes leading up to WW1 and shows absolutely nothing has changed since then.

E

I read this and loved it. I'm a history buff and it is incredible to see that what we are seeing today in the Middle East had its roots and origins in the aftermath and decisions that were taken after WW1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I read this and loved it. I'm a history buff and it is incredible to see that what we are seeing today in the Middle East had its roots and origins in the aftermath and decisions that were taken after WW1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will enjoy Lawrence In Arabia , and A Line in the Sand.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway through Joe Abercrombie's first book of the first law trilogy, The Blade Itself.

Amazing. There is wonderful character depth and development, the creation of the world is not overdone, not too much magic, but just the right amount, and the violence....the violence is incredibly detailed and vivid.

Read The Heroes, Best Served Cold and a few of his others already. He is really a great storyteller. Wonderful.

I gave been digging Larry Correia's work over the last year or so. Monster Hunter International is great. JL Bourne's Day by Day Armegeddon series is good as well. I need to read more.

dont read books anymore after working for a book company for 10 years but just read american sniper to see what the fuss was about ,not bad

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of them!)

• Like 3

Been doing some very heavy reading lately:

Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins.

LOL.

Opposed to that, my recent reading (work-related, but not necessarily "required reading", though that may be up for debate):

- "On Killing"

- "The Taliban Don't Wave"

- "Outside the Wire"

Just got through The Emperor Of Scent by Chandler Burr. Bought it when it first came out around ten years ago and this was the second reading, still great.

Anyone else read this?

Bueller? Bueller?

Halfway through Joe Abercrombie's first book of the first law trilogy, The Blade Itself.

Amazing. There is wonderful character depth and development, the creation of the world is not overdone, not too much magic, but just the right amount, and the violence....the violence is incredibly detailed and vivid.

Read The Heroes, Best Served Cold and a few of his others already. He is really a great storyteller. Wonderful.

The Blade Itself was fantastic. Quickly jumped into the second book of the trilogy, Before They Are Hanged. Only a very little bit into it, and I find it lacking some of the excellence from the first. Still enjoyable though.

• 4 weeks later...