Best books you have read in the last 12 months?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lone Survivor- Marcus Luttrell Service- Marcus Luttrell American Sniper- Chris Kyle Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Count of Monte Cristo. Was expecting a boring, drab read, which is what you usually get from mid 1800s lit. Instead, I've been riveted from the beginning and it's a real page-turner (all 1200 of

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardshi

Finished the First Law trilogy. AMAZING.

Started on the Shattered Sea trilogy also by Abercrombie. Two down, one to go.

I am a Joe Abercrombie fanboy!

Read first law a few years ago ... Before they are hanged ... I think was the best part of the series .

Heroes ... I still feel is joes best book ... And most certainly the most gratuitously violent book I have ever read .

Derrek

• Like 1

finished 'cloud atlas'. the bloke is clearly brilliant and what he achieves is fantastic. that said, by the finish, i was thinking why? why did i read it? what was he trying to achieve? what did i miss? was it just 6 separate stories that touch in the most distant manner? just felt rather empty at the end.

read 'defiance' (the non-fiction of the daniel craig movie). a little dry and factual rather than too exciting, which is a bit of a shame as they could have made it a much more thrilling read, but it is such an amazing story, and seems an rather unknown one, that i would strongly recommend it. i know little other than the basics of jewish history - now convinced i should know a lot more.

i have a feeling someone mentioned steven erikson in this thread, but can't find it. wondering if anyone read any and if so, thoughts. just started book one of 'gardens of mazalan'. finding it tough to get into but have a feeling it might be worthwhile if i persist.

Just finished "Damned" and its sequel "Doomed" by Chuck Pahlaniuk, author of "Fight Club".

Rollicking black comedies about a 13- year old posh kid who finds herself condemned to hell. Very funny, if very, very dark in places.

Just about to start "My Lunches with Orson" by Henry Jaglom, as one can never have too much Orson.

• Like 1

Just about to start "My Lunches with Orson" by Henry Jaglom, as one can never have too much Orson.

Agreed. I remember my genuine surprise when I watched Jaglom's debut feature, starring Jack Nicholson and Tuesday Weld, "A Safe Place," a few years ago and witnessing a cameo by Orson Welles playing a magician. I hope one day we can enjoy Henry Jaglom's acting skills in "The Other Side of the Wind", Welles' still-unreleased 1972 film.

I'm confident "My Lunches with Orson" will be a good read, I should get a copy myself!

• Like 1

"The End of Cheap China" by Shaun Rein. Pretty easy reading and gives some knowledge on were the world economy might be heading...

"The Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla" , this one might take a few years to finish. Not a bedtime reading and some of his papers are seriously hard to grasp... but so far giving such an awesome insight to the mind of this amazing human being who transformed(still is) the way we live though his inventions and vision...

so that is where they got the vampire from for 'sanctuary'.

Had to do a bit of googling to get what you meant Ken(Don't watch much TV...) but yeah seems like the Character is a bit based on the real Tesla thumbsup.gif

Had to do a bit of googling to get what you meant Ken(Don't watch much TV...) but yeah seems like the Character is a bit based on the real Tesla thumbsup.gif

i saw a bit of it a while back and for some reason, the name must have stuck. embarrassed to say i had not heard of the real bloke. not sure why they used him though from my googling, they really have based it on him. i don't think the series has any other 'real' people.

The first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy were very good, waiting for the third to be released.

I have Rothfuss qued up for after I am finished Abercrombie. Have heard only positive reviews from friends.

The New York Triology by Paul Auster. Read it several times, always amazed.

//M

ah yes, i remember doing a Paul Auster binge 10 or so years ago and thoroughly enjoying the Trilogy. I think he was involved in the movie "Smoke" (script?) with Harvey Keitel? which is a great little movie, have to recommend this to everybody on this forum as cigars are The Central Characters of the film

(although sensitive souls look away - some habanos were harmed in the making of that movie).

finished 'cloud atlas'. the bloke is clearly brilliant and what he achieves is fantastic. that said, by the finish, i was thinking why? why did i read it? what was he trying to achieve? what did i miss? was it just 6 separate stories that touch in the most distant manner? just felt rather empty at the end.

read 'defiance' (the non-fiction of the daniel craig movie). a little dry and factual rather than too exciting, which is a bit of a shame as they could have made it a much more thrilling read, but it is such an amazing story, and seems an rather unknown one, that i would strongly recommend it. i know little other than the basics of jewish history - now convinced i should know a lot more.

i have a feeling someone mentioned steven erikson in this thread, but can't find it. wondering if anyone read any and if so, thoughts. just started book one of 'gardens of mazalan'. finding it tough to get into but have a feeling it might be worthwhile if i persist.

i know everything there is to know about jewish history - i've read that Leon Uris book Exodus (LOL)

but ditto for Steven Erikson: never read, heard good rumours, has anyone here enjoyed?

Almost done with Kissinger's "World Order." Not only a smart analysis of geopolitics currently, but a brilliantly written history review for those of us who've been out of school a few years. Henry illustrates with enough detail to bring the last 400 years to life without it getting dull or overbearing.

Awesome book, soon to be film. I believe the character in this book held the record for the longest survival in a raft. Just completely amazing story of human resilience in the face of extreme hardship. Puts life in perspective really well.

"Unbroken" by Laura Hildebrand

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Survival-Resilience-Redemption/dp/1400064163

I'm reading this now on a recommend from a buddy. Great book so far.

717MCD1E3VL.gif

This was a page turner about a true story.

"One of the most horrifying things I've ever read. What a remarkable piece of work."
—Stephen King

The_Hot_Zone_(cover).jpg

Overview
A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising acccount of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.

The true story of how a deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in a Washington, D.C., animal test lab. In a matter of days, 90% of the primates exposed to the virus are dead, and secret government forces are mobilized to stop the spread of this exotic "hot" virus.

717MCD1E3VL.gif

This was a page turner about a true story.

"One of the most horrifying things I've ever read. What a remarkable piece of work."

—Stephen King

The_Hot_Zone_(cover).jpg

Overview
A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising acccount of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.

The true story of how a deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in a Washington, D.C., animal test lab. In a matter of days, 90% of the primates exposed to the virus are dead, and secret government forces are mobilized to stop the spread of this exotic "hot" virus.

thanks for that - i have had the hot zone sitting in the pile for about three years and never got around to it. good incentive.

• 3 weeks later...

Halfway through Joe Abercrombie's first book of the first law trilogy, The Blade Itself.

Amazing. There is wonderful character depth and development, the creation of the world is not overdone, not too much magic, but just the right amount, and the violence....the violence is incredibly detailed and vivid.

Read The Heroes, Best Served Cold and a few of his others already. He is really a great storyteller. Wonderful.

shlomo, many thanks for this one.

i saw someone mention erikson somewhere (here, i think) and i got hold of a couple. i tried very hard. slogged through the first 250 pages of 'gardens of malazan' or whatever it was called. hate giving up on a book, and i might have another crack, but i really wondered why i was bothering. confusing, messy, all over the place and after 250 pages, there was not a single character i cared whether they lived or died.

so moved on to 'blade itself'. absolutely loving it. completely agree. great story and you are spot on with - wonderful character depth and development, the creation of the world is not overdone, not too much magic,

thoroughly recommended. and looking forward to reading a lot more of his.

shlomo, many thanks for this one.

i saw someone mention erikson somewhere (here, i think) and i got hold of a couple. i tried very hard. slogged through the first 250 pages of 'gardens of malazan' or whatever it was called. hate giving up on a book, and i might have another crack, but i really wondered why i was bothering. confusing, messy, all over the place and after 250 pages, there was not a single character i cared whether they lived or died.

so moved on to 'blade itself'. absolutely loving it. completely agree. great story and you are spot on with - wonderful character depth and development, the creation of the world is not overdone, not too much magic,

thoroughly recommended. and looking forward to reading a lot more of his.

He has become my favorite author. Glad you're enjoying! When your done with that trilogy, the Shattered Sea trilogy is excellent as well, although I have not read the last book yet. I can't find it anywhere!

Over the past several weeks I finished Marie Lu's Legend series. (Think Divergent, Hunger Games....). It was very good for what it was, an adolescent focused dystopian future where societal rank is determined by a standardized test. It was recommended to me by one of my grade 6 students, and I enjoyed it. Nothing tedious or heavy about it, just quick reading and interesting stories.

Started Patrick Rothfuss' The Name Of The Wind a few days ago. First in the Kingkiller series. Excellent! Stories within stories, layers and layers. If you want full and deep character development, this is the book for you. He (Rothfuss) has an easy and flowing way of writing and is a captivating storyteller. Different from Abercrombie in that the violence is toned down and there is more magic and demons in this world, but certainly not overdone. I am hooked.

'love 'old man and the sea'.

the 1Q84 i mentioned is not the orwell book but rather by haruki murakami. i cannot think of a book where i was more riveted, every page, and where i had absolutely no idea what would be happening on the next page and where the book would go.

friend of mine was at uni in japan a fee years behind him. i gather he is near a rock star in japan.

if the nobel prize committee are half serious, he gets the gong.

(yes rob, you may borrow it - rob is one of the few mates i have who returns books).

Picked up 1Q84 on your recccomend. About 20% into it, I gotta say it's pretty darn good.

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus was an absolutely fascinating read.

True Grit, by Charles Porter was a quick read, and a great read

"Boys in the Boat" is a fascinating narrative of the US rowing team that won gold in Hitler's Berlin in 1936.

Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand, about Louis Zamperini, Olympic runner and American POW in WWII

Bonhoeffer, by Eric Mataxas. About one German pastor, who was conscientious objector to Hitler's Nazis, his life and eventual execution.