For the Buying Blind Brigade....which cigar is the highest risk?

So what exactly is everyone looking for when not buying blind? Wrapper color, heft of cigar, quality of triple cap? Enlighten me please

For some it could be appearance, but for me and most people I know its good construction and flavor. If they look good its a bonus.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Montecristo No. 2 Full stop. Period. End of story. Well maybe a few more: Partagas D4. Montecristo 4 Many 99-02 boxes

Cubans.

Trust your vendor, but if you can see them yourself, each marca has different things to look for/search for.

So what exactly is everyone looking for when not buying blind? Wrapper color, heft of cigar, quality of triple cap? Enlighten me please

Wrapper colour is not always a good indicator. You'd be more looking for a good oily sheen on the wrapper. Heft can be deceiving, as an overstuffed, plugged cigar will definitely be heavier. For construction, you'd be looking for no hard spots or knots, a nicely packed foot, finely veined wrapper, etc. And of course, you'd be wanting that barnyardy aroma wafting from the box when you open it.

But then again, I don't go and pick cigars. I leave that for somebody far more experienced! lol3.gif

• Like 3

How are you determining solid construction?

Uncracked wrappers, solidly filled with no grossly underfilled sticks, no wrinkled wrappers, uncracked feet. At least imo. Draw cant be checked till you light one but has not been much of a problem in recent production imo.

Anything Partagas (with the exception of the shorts, which always seem to be on - are they easier to roll?)

Most Montecristo and RyJ.

I think it has to do with the most popular brands - which is why I have as of yet to buy any Cohiba blind.

Personally, I gravitate towards buying H Upmann and Ramon Allones blind as I have never found a bad box (construction wise)

I have found and don't buy blind any:

Monte 2 and 4

PSD4

RASS

VR Famosos

Include CORO as well, because of price I won't risk it unless its a certain code from my few very trusted sources.

How are you determining solid construction?

If I remember correctly, when Rob is selecting boxes he will choose a few cars out of the box and give them a light squeeze to see how they are filled.

Appearance of the wrapper and aroma are considered as well.

Monte, Partagas, Cohiba, RjY, etc.. guess there's not much that can be bought blind. All I can say is if the poster brand of Cohbia is not trusted, I'm not sure were to go from there.

I could believe there are equal or proportionate quality rates within Habanos, more to the left less to the right. I hope at least the ones on the left at least meet HSA QC levels.

Sorry, guess I'm not answer Rob's question... Nothing is safe in my book, yet there equal odds I'll get a blind PSP box too from any marca. This is my experience however it is skewed and comes from only two shops in over 9 years.

Disagree with Monte 2&4 completely, from my experience. I think people just say these cigars because everyone else does. Then again, I may just be lucky. :/

Worst blind box I ever had was SLR Serie A.

I disagree with your disagreeing. About half my stock is from blind buys and half from Rob. After seeing the difference of HQ Montes vs some of the crap I've gotten blind I will ONLY buy Montes from Rob. There's nothing sadder than a pale, papery, weak tasting Montecristo.

For a newbie, what's the difference?

The main reason I ask is that I don't know enough yet that when actually seeing cigars it would make much of a difference....

Good wrapper (Light or Dark doesn't matter but it needs to have nice sheen / oils). Ideally it should also be a thin wrapper.

Good construction. if the cigars are firm to the touch that is not necessarily a problem. They should be the correct weight in the hand with not too many obvious tight spots (or soft spots) in the roll.

Aroma at cold. Some cigars when young should be barnyard (RASS comes to mind). Others such as Monte 2 and Monte 4 should rich in aroma but along the lines of Christmas cake. Great Cohiba has a different aroma again. Rich tobacco, cedar, citrus/lemongrass.

• Like 1

I haven't had much luck with Trinidad or RyJ either but I think that's mainly due to the fact that 95% of boxes from those marcas have been crap for years rather than just bad luck

I do really struggle with Trinidad. It is rare that I can find a HQ box. Generally PE at best and I am struggling to find those.

R&J have been good in the E4/Wide Churchill/Petit Corona. Struggling with good to great Short Churchill.

I disagree with your disagreeing. About half my stock is from blind buys and half from Rob. After seeing the difference of HQ Montes vs some of the crap I've gotten blind I will ONLY buy Montes from Rob. There's nothing sadder than a pale, papery, weak tasting Montecristo.

Ok. Sorry to hear you've had bad luck.

Never had a problem over the last 24 months buying Partagas D4s

They have been pretty much spot on.

Monty 2's i think have been a problem

As have RASS..last year

Ive bought quite a few boxes of PSD4 over the last 24 months all .. ibe found the montes and the Ryj to be the most frustrating to buy blind.

RASCC have been great.

Punch Punch phenomenal. The bigger improver of 2013

Por Larranaga have been great

I think Cuba has lifted her game last year.

Montecristo No. 2

Full stop. Period. End of story.

Well maybe a few more:

Partagas D4.

Montecristo 4

Many 99-02 boxes

I had 7 solid Monte 2's from my last box.... That is 42 bucks a pop. It goes without saying I will not be buying anymore monte 2. For some reason the Monte 4's are dead on but for others they have better luck with the monte 2.. go figure...

Man, I must have been lucky. Fairly new at this and bought PSD4s blind. POU box code and they are heaven! I'll be more discerning next time as to not be disappointed. I also bought some Monte 2s and haven't tried them yet. A little worried now. But nowhere to go but up I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've also had problems with Trinidads, monte 2s and PSD4s. Another couple I'll never buy blind again are Edmundos and Bolivar Belicoso Finos.

I had 7 solid Monte 2's from my last box.... That is 42 bucks a pop. It goes without saying I will not be buying anymore monte 2.

took me a while to understand what you meant. pretty sad-making once i figured it out...

i just assume that the other 18 you would just bin when they're a disgrace? nowadays, when i smoke Monte 2s or 4s, i keep my pipe handy. cut them into chunks and smoke them in the briar. Goes for all these inconsistent cigars here ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

1) I'd never buy anything blind that has a high production ... basically, the most popular cigars. Monte #4 and #2, PSD4s, etc. Lots of first and second level rollers working to pump those suckers out!

2) I'd never buy skinny cigars blind because construction is even more of a factor

3) I'd never buy expensive cigars blind because ... why risk it?

4) I'd never buy anything from R&J or Cohiba blind because of bad experiences

• Like 1

A sad testament to the poor quality control in Cuba. It seems that the best selling sticks are the most likely to have construction issues.

I did not realize there were so many problems with RyJ.