For the Buying Blind Brigade....which cigar is the highest risk?

I find RASS to be completely different box to box on both taste and construction. I have now purchased 6 boxes in around a year and find they vary greatly from box to box. Another stick I have had major plugged issues and construction issues with ie. foot cracked, underfilled or pluged is Partagas Presedentes. I know they are a rare and relatively low demand cigar box but for those who like them they are never a good idea blind.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Montecristo No. 2 Full stop. Period. End of story. Well maybe a few more: Partagas D4. Montecristo 4 Many 99-02 boxes

Cubans.

Trust your vendor, but if you can see them yourself, each marca has different things to look for/search for.

Another Newbie question. Forgive my ignorance, but is buying from the 12:12 considered buying blind?

LOL. Only if Rob's been drinking . . . party.gif

LOL. Only if Rob's been drinking . . . party.gif

I do apologize for how stupid that question may have sounded to everyone. I meant no disrespect towards Rob. I just didn't know one way or the other.

I've actually had pretty good luck on everything with a 2013 box code. Prior, I unfortunately have bought unsmokable:

Cohiba Lanceros

Monte 2

Part D4

Monte Especiale no.2

One of my biggest issues other than plugged sticks has been underfilling, especially with the Monte's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I do apologize for how stupid that question may have sounded to everyone. I meant no disrespect towards Rob. I just didn't know one way or the other.

I hope none is taken!

That didn't have any passive aggression in it; let alone disrespect! :)

Pappa D just made a joke as most boxes are handpicked. So they'd only be blindly picked if El Prez was high :ok:

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

• Like 1

I hope none is taken!

That didn't have any passive aggression in it; let alone disrespect! smile.png

Pappa D just made a joke as most boxes are handpicked. So they'd only be blindly picked if El Prez was high ok.gif

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

Exactly right! We all love our El Grande Don Magnifico Presidente! In both his ability to take a ribbing and the fine example he sets herein on the best way to live life large. Welcome to FOH T-Rim!

• Like 1

I've had a few boxes that looked and smelled amazing...bought blind and hand picked. On a few instances, the experience have not always measured up to tthe aesthetics or the tactile feel. Was it my pallette? Was it the blend? Was it maybe that it just wasn't in the flavor profile I liked? Who knows.

It's all part of the game.

But for sure I would opt for purchasing hand picked cigars over buying blind. That raises my confide ce in buying by the boxes even if I haven't even tried the cigar before. I'll buy boxes because I guess I'm not a sampler kind of person when it cones to cigars.

Having said this,I won't purchase Monte's blind anymore. Especiales #2 and Monte 2 to be exact.

Monte 2's and a lot of the boxes here I agree on also. 99-01 stock is another one I won't buy blind on or anything 98 and earlier unless I know the storage has been impeccable.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be ignorant, but couldn't most of these misses be avoided by buying from *****INT/FOH? I understand natural variability among a specific line, but to me if you take out vendor variability as well, shouldn't you have a pretty solid set of smokes, no matter the brand?

Tom

• Like 1

Not to be ignorant, but couldn't most of these misses be avoided by buying from *****INT/FOH? I understand natural variability among a specific line, but to me if you take out vendor variability as well, shouldn't you have a pretty solid set of smokes, no matter the brand?

Tom

I believe so :)

That's why this is the only place I buy my cigars. Unless I feel like paying thru the nose for singles, then I go to the only B&M in town and paw thru their selection intensively

in my opinion, any of the major brands, the ones that pump out the most cigars yearly. like montecristo...really risky. thats why i don't buy blind anymore for CC's especially. i have had no issues with NC's or Dom's buying blind.

• 3 weeks later...

Monte 2 and 4, Party D4 and P2's, Dip 2's, and recently (like Tom also) Trinidad (seems to have taken a downslope since the discontinuation of the Robusto T's).

Yet, for how much I love all these blends (save for the P2's, though I always keep some on hand), it's another reason why I won't buy blind online with these anymore. If I'm not handpicking them myself, then they're HQ/PSP offerings from Czar's.