Seems there's a lot of secrecy regarding touching up cigar burn?

I see in various reviews that people are quite proud of how their cigar burned with no touch up required. Is it really that big of a deal to hit the slow areas with a lighter to keep it close to even? Why would someone let one side get as much as half inch behind? I know many dry box, assuming for this reason, but I also assume to encourage the wrapper to burn slightly ahead of the filler to produce more flavor????

I see nothing wrong with touch-ups (personal opinion). From experience results are better if you minimize the heat, so precision (single torch) has an impact on flavour of the few puffs following a touch-up. However, the overall experience is optimal when no touch-up has to be done. Not having to think about it and looking at the burn going down evenly with each puff has quite a relaxing effect on me...

So if I had to choose, no touch-ups

Reality kicking in, I touch-up as needed to maintain an even burn, not shy about it. I actually didn't roll it myself so I'm not accountable for the performance :)

For me it depends on the siuation,sometimes I touch up with A lighter,sometimes I wet my finger and moisten the area that is burning faster!

I touch up using a torch, holding the cigar vertical and am very precise/fast.

Once the wrapper is initially burnt from the flame I leave it for a while for the burnt portion to continue the secondary natural burn into forming ash before I continue smoking.

Keeps the cherry cool...and the flavour on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I touch up using a torch, holding the cigar vertical and am very precise/fast.

Once the wrapper is initially burnt from the flame I leave it for a while for the burnt portion to continue the secondary natural burn into forming ash before I continue smoking.

Keeps the cherry cool...and the flavour on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 on this.

It just bothers me, and therefor detracts from the relaxation of the experience, to have an uneven burn. I'll touch it up, ever so quickly, with a quick burst from my single flame torch. That's all it takes, unless I've let it go too long.

I usually just give my wrapper a stern glare and it knows it better catch up!

wink2.gif

• Like 4

I usually just give my wrapper a stern glare and it knows it better catch up!

wink2.gif

If you look anything like the guy on your profile I'm thinking that'd work :)

But I would also think your 48 hour dry box would solve most burn issues?

I love a great/razor sharp burn on a cigar but don't really expect it on any cigar less than 5 years of age.

Quick touch up and I think no more of it.

Sadly, I've seen razor sharp on more nc's. But razor sharp with no flavor doesn't cut it!

• Like 1

...Keeps the cherry cool...and the flavour on track.

Sting said something very key here... I've found when the burn goes off, the flavor goes off. I won't hestitate to touch up an errant burn line. I even usually touch the wrapper with a flame after ashing just to get it back running 'at speed'.

Dan

• Like 1

obviously I have no proof as each cigar is unique and only smokable once, but I roll my cigar often in my fingers and on draws. My thought is to more evenly distribute the burn... heat rises stuff. Who knows, but there's not much you can do with shoddy construction.

One truth is, if it's not burning even it's not burning as designed resulting in an offset of the flavours and aromas delivered to the smoker.

Interesting to hear that many feel touch ups or high heat can have a negative impact on flavor. Typically, I light my cigars by charring the foot with a torch - it's lit before I ever take a draw. And more often than not, the first couple of draws are the most flavorful.....

• Like 1

Sting said something very key here... I've found when the burn goes off, the flavor goes off. I won't hestitate to touch up an errant burn line. I even usually touch the wrapper with a flame after ashing just to get it back running 'at speed'.

Dan

x2

Smoke a Punch RS from 01 today.

This is why I touch up:

yvyru8ud.jpg

That's not even the wrapper. It's actually binder and part of the filler!!

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

But holy shiiite, why did you wait so long???

One truth is, if it's not burning even it's not burning as designed resulting in an offset of the flavours and aromas delivered to the smoker.

Personally I feel I lose flavor when the wrapper burns behind the filler so I definitely touch it as needed to keep it ahead. I found a video where Rob did a wrapper switch test a few years back that showed the wrapper completely controlled the flavor!

fireproof early 2000s wrapper. i wanted to see how worse it could possibly get.

a lot, turns out! laugh.png

Lol...did you dry box it for fourteen days, or how ever many Skyfall recommends?!