Post a Picture of any cigars you have with Plume

Can we migrate the two threads into one? There are many threads on plume and mold, including Wilkey's (iirc) dissertation circa a decade ago.

Unlike a preference for a cigar, which is based on an individual's palate, I'm afraid that plume vs mold discussion is one of scientific nature, thus either being either fact or fiction. So please, let's just cut to the chase. And if it is fact that plume does exist, and it is a different biological compound, then we can ask ourselves, why do some have it, and most do not? What are the conditions?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

03 SLR A from a cab. Cant remember code off hand and the rest of the cab is stored in a converted freezer in my office. This particular cigar was strong as balls compared to others in the cab. Just sm

I'd wager 90%+ of the time something is claimed as plume it is actually mold.

Most definitely not plume. Wipe those down before it spreads

…oh and by the way. For the sheer enjoyment of participating in the thread, there seems to be a common connection with cigars that come from bare wood, or cab style boxes and the appearance of plume.

Just food for thought! -Piggy

I confess I cannot identify what this is.

I would suggest this is mould

Close up screen grab

tevanu9u.jpg

My reasoning is, plume cannot have a structure that is greater than one individual crystal above/past/lying on the wrapper, as the oil that is excreted would re-dissolve any existing crystal. Hope that makes sense.

Please note, I have only seen plume a few times.

From my mobile phone

So here's my question for all you veteran smokers:

In my 8+ years of cigar smoking, I have seen little crystalline dustings appear out of nowhere a handful of times on smokes I am aging. It has occurred on smokes that lie motionless for several years in nice humidor conditions and I always assumed it was plume. Now, mold is REALLY easy to identify when it gets puffy, fluffy, or begins spreading across a surface. But for mold to grow and take hold in an environment with an RH in the low to mid 60s is somewhat remarkable as most common household molds need upwards of 90+ RH for mycelial running or fruitbody production (both which can increase the appearance of fuzziness).

How is everyone so sure that they rarely (if ever) see plume? How can we assume that a light-colored dusting on a cigar is mold and not a byproduct of the (ongoing) curing process?unsure.png

• Like 1

So here's my question for all you veteran smokers:

In my 8+ years of cigar smoking, I have seen little crystalline dustings appear out of nowhere a handful of times on smokes I am aging. It has occurred on smokes that lie motionless for several years in nice humidor conditions and I always assumed it was plume. Now, mold is REALLY easy to identify when it gets puffy, fluffy, or begins spreading across a surface. But for mold to grow and take hold in an environment with an RH in the low to mid 60s is somewhat remarkable as most common household molds need upwards of 90+ RH for mycelial running or fruitbody production (both which can increase the appearance of fuzziness).

How is everyone so sure that they rarely (if ever) see plume? How can we assume that a light-colored dusting on a cigar is mold and not a byproduct of the (ongoing) curing process?unsure.png

I agree with you. I am no expert, but I have seen these light crystaline dustings on aged cigars. That seems like plume, and would be hard to photograph unless quite advance.

• Like 1

Id recommend anyone with a good camera that has interest in this subject get some boxes out whether you see it or not...get them in some good light and snap up some pics from different angles, you may be surprised what the camera sees that you don't. Lenses are much better than the eye...

This is no longer embarassing, it's laughable! jester.gif

There's just no pleasing some people. You sir, are quite the negative nelly lately. We know how you feel about discussions like these and your comments are not in the least constructive, friendly, or illuminating.

I guess it's a distortion/derivation of the word "bloom". Davidoff talked about cigars "blossoming".

"Plume" has no semantic relation to the word "bloom." There is no conceptual connection between the two so it is neither a distortion nor derivation. More likely, someone misheard "bloom" and grabbed onto the most phonetically similar common word.

Wilkey

• Like 2

Can we migrate the two threads into one?

I will create a new stickied thread and everyone will be invited to post relevant threads, links, or resources and I will maintain in the opening post.

…oh and by the way. For the sheer enjoyment of participating in the thread, there seems to be a common connection with cigars that come from bare wood, or cab style boxes and the appearance of plume.

Just food for thought! -Piggy

Interesting observation. This is not anything that's occurred to me before. Well done, Piggy.

Wilkey

There's just no pleasing some people. You sir, are quite the negative nelly lately. We know how you feel about discussions like these and your comments are not in the least constructive, friendly, or illuminating.

"Plume" has no semantic relation to the word "bloom." There is no conceptual connection between the two so it is neither a distortion nor derivation. More likely, someone misheard "bloom" and grabbed onto the most phonetically similar common word.

Wilkey

I like the concept, but think it would be too larger coincidence to say someone misheard a word.

I am more inclined to think that...Bloom stems from flowers and organic growth. Which ties in with mould etc And ... Plume stems from the association with smoke and fluids.

From my mobile phone

At a cigar store near Rama, Ontario, A box of QDO coronas was all moldy. "Note the lovely plume", said the store's owner.

So I guess I have seen it.

This happened to me at the La Casa in Aruba. Hilarious. The Monte she showed me was covered in mold. Looked terrible. It didn't help they were running it WAY too humid in the walk-in.

"Some of our regulars ask that we wipe it off. To each his own!"

lol Only some?

Okay… so I understand it. Can we have a ruling on if we are going to call it bloom, or plume??? I mean I hate to talk about something that I know nothing about, regarding something that no one knows exists and cannot be quantified, all in uncertain terms!!!

The language barrier is killing me over here! We need to come together on this… -LOL

I am okay calling it 'saw dust' but then someone will likely tell me that I am about as fun as their father (is/was) again!!! That hurts!

-Piggy

I will create a new stickied thread and everyone will be invited to post relevant threads, links, or resources and I will maintain in the opening post.

Interesting observation. This is not anything that's occurred to me before. Well done, Piggy.

Wilkey

Thanks mate… It is a good friend that still reads my posts, after knowing my disconnect with reality! -R