FOH's favourite cheese?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Humboldt Fog is amazing and one of my favorites. I enjoy manchego, triple cream goat brie, peccorino Romano, and cave aged gouda.

In France it's the typical school or company canteen cheese… children usually love it.

Try (very) thin slices of pear, or apricot, or raisins, fig, melon (summer fruit), plus a leaf of fresh mint, with swiss cheeses like Appenzeller, Fribourg, Ementaller, Gruyère suisse, and with a mell

I used to love King Island's Double Brie or Camembert. Unfortunately, I became somewhat lactose intolerant in my early 20's, so I can't indulge too much or too often. Soft cheese are pretty much a no go for me nowadays.

Fuzz you may want to try a good Chevrai, many who are lactose intolerant have no problem with goats milk cheeses.

Anything aged and funky for me. Lately been enjoying some aged gouda love the crystals especially good with Vintage porto and a fine cigar.

Jarelsberg swiss and smoked Gouda, I must have carrs crackers and italian dry salami to go along with it.

Hey, yeah I forgot about Jarlsberg Swiss! I'm a great fan of that too. I just buy it so seldom because it's so pricey. BTW - anybody on here frequent Limburger much??? I'm VERY curious about it but just can't bring myself to bite into something smelling like a thousand farts covermouth.gif

Anything aged and funky for me. Lately been enjoying some aged gouda love the crystals especially good with Vintage porto and a fine cigar.

Man, the crystals are my favorite part of aged cheeses. Super delicious. Now I need to research what causes them cause I'm curious.

So far best for me has been Brie and Gouda.

Simplest to satisfy the cheesy cravings for me is making my own cheese biscuits out of aged Sharp cheddar and parmigiano reggiano. Mmmm...

Recipe please?

I'll go for most soft or hard cheeses, but can take a pass on most semi-soft varieties (it's a texture thing). I gravitate toward the products of France, Italy, Spain. For some reason I have it in my head that I would like to travel to Corsica to try their cheeses...

My likes: St Andre is the closest thing to butter that still carries the name cheese, yum. Rochebaron and the like, I can eat all day.

Brie de Meaux requires a well ventilated room :) The first time I tasted this cheese, the cheesemonger cautioned that it was somewhat barnyardy. I tried the sample and agreed that it tasted of wet straw with fresh manure, but it wasn't unpleasant or too overpowering. Got home for a wine, cheese, and cold cut snack, unwrapped the Brie, and kaPOW - like a bucket full of cow **** in the face with a few bits of straw. Turns out the few minutes waiting for service at the pungent cheese shop was enough to desensitize the nose - lesson learned. Took the cheese board, baguette etc outside, got comfy, and dived right in. Who says you can't eat cow ****!?

Smoked Gouda

Fresh Mozzarella

Brie

Roquefort

Gruyere

Taleggio

on a slice of pear (with red, obviously)

Try (very) thin slices of pear, or apricot, or raisins, fig, melon (summer fruit), plus a leaf of fresh mint, with swiss cheeses like Appenzeller, Fribourg, Ementaller, Gruyère suisse, and with a mellow, "buttered" white or a light fruity red.

As we say in french, it's "le petit Jesus en culotte de velours" ("it's the baby Jesus in velvet pants").

For a more substantial snack you may add very thin slices of a good ham (spanish, italian or french). The thinner the better, the slices (fruit or ham) must melt in your mouth.

Delish!

• Like 1

Try (very) thin slices of pear, or apricot, or raisins, fig, melon (summer fruit), plus a leaf of fresh mint, with swiss cheeses like Appenzeller, Fribourg, Ementaller, Gruyère suisse, and with a mellow, "buttered" white or a light fruity red.

As we say in french, it's "le petit Jesus en culotte de velours" ("it's the baby Jesus in velvet pants").

For a more substantial snack you may add very thin slices of a good ham (spanish, italian or french). The thinner the better, the slices (fruit or ham) must melt in your mouth.

Delish!

Challenge accepted!

Sound advice from a cheese lover, I shall try all the options you suggested :)

Then finish the day with a bit of Delord 1971 Bas-Armagnac...

I LOVE Armagnac, but with fragrant cheeses, I recommend trying a single malt scotch. Camembert+Ardberg, or Roquefort+Lagavullin: surprisingly good!

I have yet to try Ardberg. Would you recommend the Ten?

Buffalo mozzarella is some tasty stuff, as is burratta(sp?) which is curds soaked in cream in the middle of a mozzarella ball. Highly recommended if you haven't tried either yet.

Yes. Amen to that. Just didn't know what it was called. Love that stuff!

Cashel Irish Blue, ate far too much recently with a whisky tasting. Not a combination I usually go for,but the taste.....