The Greatest Plume-Bloom-Mold Thread in the Entire Universe!

Ginseng

Plume/Bloom: real or imaginary?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This stickied thread is being established to provide a clearinghouse for information, links, resources, and discussion about cigar surface phenomena this includes topics such as:

• mold versus bloom
  • does plume actually exist
  • can bloom be induced, and if so, under what conditions
  • does plume affect the smoking experience
  • etc.

Please feel free to post your info and I will bring the best into this opening post.

Cheers,

Wilkey

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

like this

Link: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/218876-origin-cigar-plume-bloom.html "My question then is this: when have you ever seen an oil crystallize, especially one at room tempera

Obviously biased. Pixies were not measured nor mentioned. We need peer review from the department of Pixology… I know that they would have something relevant to say, other than they are underfunded…! -pig.gif

• Like 2

Ugggggggh. I'm on Vaca. Don't want to post.

"My question then is this: when have you ever seen an oil crystallize, especially one at room temperature? I haven’t. This leads me to ask: what is in the tobacco oil that could crystallize? Well, I found an analysis of tobacco oils where the group identified the individual chemicals in tobacco oil using two-dimensional gas chromatography with flame ionization detectors and a time-of-flight mass spectrometer. Fancy chit right there! Here’s the information on the journal article where I found this information

Ah damn it, Mike

Yes. I've seen oils crystallise. The cleaving of enough complex oils is enough to create new ones with different properties. Not exactly oils. But simple enough organic compounds like medium sized carboxylic acids are solid at room temperature. If they can break off and isolate themselves,Not only would they crystallise, but they would even give a faint sweet, ammonia-esque smell.

Aromatic rings can also break off to diffuse through the tobacco leaves and crystallise there. They have distinctive sweet smells.

I know both are two classes of chemicals available in tobacco and tobacco smoke. I have posted a journal article from 1968 on this a while back and can't be bothered to reference.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

• Like 2

So... would any of the veteran nay-sayers share exactly why they think plume/bloom doesn't exist or is extremely rare????

So... would any of the veteran nay-sayers share exactly why they think plume/bloom doesn't exist or is extremely rare????

The burden of proof is on the claimant, I would think.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I can't recall of several veterans denying existence of plume; as for rarity, despite all the pictures posted, we still have to see a convincing case — the exception is the link given by mk05: http://cigarphoto.net/blog/2012/02/cigar-plume-vs-mold/

• Confused 1

What's the diff between plume and bloom?

They are one in the same. Both figments of people's imagination. jester.gif I kid, I kid.

I do think there needs to be another answer added to the poll. I know some of my posts in other threads regarding plume have been a little cynical, but in all truthfulness I do believe it exists, but I think it is very rare, to say the least. Most of my cynicism has mostly to do with reading countless threads on this and other forums regarding this issue, especially the countless "is this mold or plume" debates. I can honestly say that everyone I have read, and there have literally been hundreds over the years, has turned out to be mold. Unfortunately a lot of these threads come about because some shmuck in a B&M told them it wasn't mold, but plume, and something that was desirable, in hopes to make a sale. I've only encountered one B&M owner in my life who was forthright when talking about the differences between mold and plume. I hope my explanation does not come across as arrogant or condescending because that is not my intent. When I first started out smoking cigars I can't tell you how many mistakes I've made whether it was regarding mold vs. plume or buying fakes, etc. While I don't consider myself an expert, I have learned a ton over the years, usually at the expense of my own silly mistakes.

I should also add that when you google 'cigar plume pics', for example, you get a lot of pics that pop up that are blatant fuzzy mold. This certainly doesn't help matters when you have so much misinformation going around, but the internet can be rife with it sometimes. Also, for the sake of disclosure, I have never had a cigar with plume on it. I also have other friends who have much larger collections myself and they have never run across it or produced it, either. That being said, just because I haven't seen it in person I still believe that it does exist, but that it's just a rare ocurrence. If I am never able to reproduce it then it won't be the end of the world, because all that really matters are if the cigars are stored properly and smoke well when you put them to fire.

seen it, have it....have no clue to the science behind it.....don't really care!

I had one that looked like you rolled the cigar in super fine sugar crystals.

• Like 3

Ugggggggh. I'm on Vaca. Don't want to post.

Ah damn it, Mike

Yes. I've seen oils crystallise. The cleaving of enough complex oils is enough to create new ones with different properties. Not exactly oils. But simple enough organic compounds like medium sized carboxylic acids are solid at room temperature. If they can break off and isolate themselves,Not only would they crystallise, but they would even give a faint sweet, ammonia-esque smell.

Aromatic rings can also break off to diffuse through the tobacco leaves and crystallise there. They have distinctive sweet smells.

I know both are two classes of chemicals available in tobacco and tobacco smoke. I have posted a journal article from 1968 on this a while back and can't be bothered to reference.

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

Wasn't my question Pie, just providing someone else's knowledge/opinions/research.....

Canadianbeaver is my nom de bloom.

A long time ago I had a signature on my forum posts. Not sure if was here or elsewhere. "Why would anyone put anything plumey or moldy in their mouth??"

I stand by that statement.

That is all.

Wasn't my question Pie, just providing someone else's knowledge/opinions/research.....

i know, Mike..... don't mind my plastered, sorry ass for the next 2 weeks :lol:

never direct hits on BotL from me! you should know that by now!

attack the point, never the person, innit?

• Like 1