The Greatest Plume-Bloom-Mold Thread in the Entire Universe!

Ginseng

Plume/Bloom: real or imaginary?  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a good discussion about bloom on another forum.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-13777.html

(Delete or edit link if bad form to post)

'Plume is indeed the crystallization of oils from the tobacco on the surface of the leaf. However, plume will not necessarily form on a cigar just because of age, nor will it visibly form on any cigar.

Waxy oils of the tobacco are suspended within the cellular structure of the leaf of tobacco, and help to prevent moisture loss and protect against extreme heat. As the aged leaf gets older, the cellular structure will eventually start to break down on a microscopic level (known as ripening, or in a layman's term: decomposing), causing the oils to be further released out of the leaf. When sufficient oils are released, they eventually crystallize at the point of accumulation. Thus, plume can form "inside" the cigar without you ever seeing it, just as it can form on the outer wrapper.

Unfortunately, that breakdown happens SO slowly at "optimal" conditions, that the cigars may take years to develop plume thus the stigma that a plumed cigar is well aged. In fact, certain temperature and humidity fluctuations can cause the tobacco to ripen (almost identical to what happens when a leaf ferments under heat and pressure to become a maduro wrapper) and release oils faster, thus allowing a cigar to possibly plume. Oil accumulations form where the structure has broken down, thus allowing them to crystallize in spots. This is why cigars will plume evenly, because the natural breakdown in the cellular structure happens in an even distribution. The larger the crystal structures and the more spread out they are, the slower the oils accumulated, and then crystallized. The smaller crystals in a more dense spread is the result of rapid crystallization where the oils crystallize too fast for them to migrate to a central spot and build a larger crystal.

Leaves that are fermented, especially Maduro and Oscuro wrappers, tend not to plume as much given the cellular walls are already broken, releasing many of the oils to give the leaf it's characteristic flavors and color.

Anyway, I found there are a LOT of similarities between the biological and geological concepts that happen when cigars plume. But this is merely my own hypothesis on my own research.'

And in pipe forums:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-to-smoke-blends-that-have-formed-sugar-crystals

'Like it's been said, there is some debate to what this stuff actually is. Who knows? I'd love to see it get the full scientific treatment complete with chemical analysis & microscopic pix!

Here's some wisdom nuggets from G.L. Pease on the subject:

"The crystals that appear on aging tobacco are more likely something that is soluble within a narrow pH range.These crystals are not very soluble in water. As the tobacco ages, the pH changes, and some things that haad previously been in solution may, and apparently do, precipitate out. But, from some very preliminary testing, it is almost certainly not sugar."

&

"I don't think the crystals that form on tobacco are sugar. A long time ago, I did some messing around with some of the crystals I discovered in a tin of Va, a little analysis, and they did not behave like any sugar that would be in tobacco. They were not even soluble in water! At the time, I could neither harvest enough of them, nor did I have access to the necessary equipment to get a read on what they might be."

And at

http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-tobacco/articles/Mold-or-Bloom.html

'Bloom refers to the condition of the tobacco when the oils in the wrapper leaves disperse congeal and then dry-out on the surface of the wrapper. These "essential oils" congregate and dry on the surface of a cigar and appear like very tiny crystals. In fact, you can sometimes shine a light on the cigars and the crystals will shimmer a bit as they reflect the light. These dried crystals can eventually make the wrapper look slightly "dusty" with a powdery white finish. '

• Like 3

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

like this

Link: http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-cigar-discussion/218876-origin-cigar-plume-bloom.html "My question then is this: when have you ever seen an oil crystallize, especially one at room tempera

'Plume is indeed the crystallization of oils from the tobacco on the surface of the leaf. However, plume will not necessarily form on a cigar just because of age, nor will it visibly form on any cigar.

Agreed, very complex subject here lol

• Like 1

I've had cigars with white fluffy mold - wiped and smoked. Shades of webby mold - wiped and smoked. The light, chalky substance shown in a number of pics here - doesn't really wipe off, don't really know what it is - smoked no problem. What I've usually considered plume, or bloom, or dehydrated pixie sex juice, or cigar hemorrhoids - what to call it is for me, irrelevant - "something other than, or possibly other than mold" - has been very small, almost clear crystals. Very similar in appearance to wine tartrates, but miniscule in comparison. Perhaps pixies like to bang in wine as well. Some call syrah shiraz, or mourvedre mataro - I know they don't mean cabernet.

In another discussion I asked that if we believe that plume is a cigar's oils crystallizing on a cigars surface, would we feel it desirable or less than so. My own thought is that though I do not feel it necessarily bad, I also don't feel it a sign of a superior cigar.

Some believe in a supreme being, some in cigar plume.........

Since the data migration did not happen, following pictures show plume for reference. Plume, to my eyes, start to follow the midrib and veins first, before spreading to the rest of the cigar - very finely, like a sugar sprinkling:

:

busuny4a.jpg

actual plume.jpg

Here's mold as sold by a vendor. There was a long write up about L.E. elsewhere, nevertheless the relevant point is that these cigars had to be inspected and cleansed of mold before introducing into the humidor. Also, you can see tiny white hairs that are different from either plume or mold. Some call that just tobacco hairs.

plumeforeals2.jpg

I was wondering if nicotene content along with oils can contribute!? The few I have noticed it on were full body Padrons that had been stored at least seven years. It was A very fine crystal you could see if held in the light just right!?

Interesting read all the way around. Looking forward to additional, wonderful pics.

What do you guys think?
2008 BBMF
03 Des Deiux

Fuzz......

What do you guys think?
2008 BBMF
03 Des Deiux

Frost

You called?

Eh, just describing the growth on the cigars in the picture above my post nyah.gif

• Like 1

Old PL en cello, ftw.

Very old, for sure. Early '80s or more I suspect...

On a more constructive note. Some people do not utilize distilled water in their humidification devices (passive or active) as a result deposits of calcium from non distilled water will show up as a white dust on the cigars and can easily be mistaken as plume..

• Like 2