Gum Arabic for repairing loose wrappers

I've read a few threads here on cigar glue and some mention gum arabic and I have some questions for those who use it:

• Is there a specific kind that's needed?
  • Are all forms non-toxic?
  • How does it compare to the cigar glue that's widely used and available on Amazon?

To get the "cigar glue" would cost $30+ to ship for a 5mL bottle and nobody seems to sell it locally. Can anyone shed some light?

PS. I've ruled out fruit pectin due to reports from others saying it dramatically (and negatlively) affects the taste.

I've used Agar powder dissolved quite concentrated in hot water before. It's completely tasteless and derived from seaweed. It's often sold as 'vegetarian jelly/jello powder. Very cheap and works a treat.

• Like 1

Arabic gum can be found in Art stores in larger quantities and at a cheaper price than what is sold online. Buy a small brush and you're set.

This is what's available at my local art store...is this safe for consumption? The whole "increases transparence, brilliance and gloss" bit throws me off.

11176.jpg

This is what's available at my local art store...is this safe for consumption? The whole "increases transparence, brilliance and gloss" bit throws me off.

11176.jpg

That's the exact bottle I have. It is "edible". So very safe to use on your cigars. It just happens to have other applications and properties. :)

Background info here.

• Like 1

Gum Arabic is a good one but gum tragacanth is even better. you can get it in a powder or pre mixed at most decent cake and pastry stores. The stuff that the rollers in Cuba use is the powder form that they import from Canada.

• Like 2

Gum Arabic is a good one but gum tragacanth is even better. you can get it in a powder or pre mixed at most decent cake and pastry stores. The stuff that the rollers in Cuba use is the powder form that they import from Canada.

Say what? There's a bit O' Canada in every Cuban cigar? Go figure.

Thanks Tom. On our tour at La Corona, they mentioned that the substance they used came from Canada but did not know it's name.

It is interesting that Cuba gets gum tragacanth from Canada, considering it is mainly produced in the Middle East.

What about oil, then? ;)

But seriously, there are a decent amount of Arabic stuff here. Hell, on the main roads beside me, the windows are decorated with those Lebanese flags. We also have approximately 10 shisha/hookha bars. Sometimes right beside each other!

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

It is interesting that Cuba gets gum tragacanth from Canada, considering it is mainly produced in the Middle East.

I thought the same thing. But that is what we were told by a couple of rollers. Who knows for sure.??

Try Certo fruit pectin. I heard this works well on wrappers. Available in most grocery stores.

I used this brand of pectin to repair several cracks on a few damaged cigars, as well as glue down a loose wrapper. It worked great for me, and didn't seem to drastically alter the taste either.

• Like 1

I live in the forest in rural Ontario. Think Green Acres with A little Beverly Hills mixed in.

We take a little honey, lick it so it is just a touch, and use it anywhere a cigar needs a little help.

Works perfectly every time and it's right there. No fuss no muss and tasty too.

CB

• Like 1