Anyone Insure their Cigars?

On 8/30/2014 at 9:42 AM, tjohn7 said:

I've thought about this too. Very rarely do you have an item so valuable that you exclude from your insurance policy. The reason I have thought about leaving them uninsured is to avoid a few of things.

1. Admitting that I have large amounts of contraband in my home (as I live in the US)

2. Admitting on paper that I am a smoker of tobacco (even though I would not be reporting this to my health insurance)

3. Writing down in front of my wife how much my cigars are worth

To me, the risk of losing the cigars in a fire or flood is substantial, but not worth the added hassle and headaches that would come along with insuring them. I'd love to, don't get me wrong, but in the US I just don't think it's in my best interests.

Tom

Number 3 is the riskiest in my book ?

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:23 PM, NYgarman said:

I am sure this scenario would only be covered under your homeowners or renters insurance. I don't think there is a policy specific for a cigar collection. I do belong to a Rolex watch forum where some members have multi-million dollar watch collections. And you can bet they are insured. My watch is insured for replacement value under a special jewelry policy, but I can't say if you could do this for a 30K cigar collection. Best to call your insurance agent and pose the hypothetical question to him. 

It would have to be a rider to the policy just like a wine collection or jewelry over a minimal amount. Some companies are better at this than other...Chubb is excellent with collections and high end homes.